12 Replies Latest reply on May 3, 2016 4:46 AM by Willi Adelberger

How to begin editing after importing a QuarkXpress 3.3 project

Rob BG Level 1

First time InDesign CC user. Windows 7.

To my great surprise I successfully imported a beautiful but ancient QuarkXPress 3.3 project from a Windows NT backup(!)  It was about 98% complete. Good.

I was planning to merely make my new proposal document from scratch with bland MS Word but when the importation worked so unexpectedly successfully I was motivated to see if I could modify and complete it in InDesign.  (My old NT computer is in computer heaven.)

So I'm a first time user of InDesign and I solemnly promise that I will properly learn it after this proposal goes in.  But my first attempt at changing text in one of the text boxes using intuition was unsuccessful. Nothing happened when I clicked the text box or clicked the Text icon hoping for access. Of course I see a lock symbol on these text boxes. So unlocking instructions might be top of the list.

Essentially I want to modify this boiler plate proposal.  So I see on the screen previous text boxes and inserted photos through about 30 imported pages.

I would like to enter these text boxes and edit.

I would like to erase some text in text boxes and allow different captured or entered text to flow through the different columns provided.

I'd like to move and adjust the positions of the text boxes.

I'd like to add new picture boxes with new pictures and replace pictures in current boxes.

I'd like to move these around or adjust as necessary.

I need the text to flow around these inserted picture boxes.

I'd like to add a new page in the middle of the document, perhaps a clone of one of the existing pages, assuming I need new pages to accommodate my captured text.

If I can do these things, I will be able to output my InDesign doc to Pdf and print as a successful print test has proved.

I know this is a lot to ask straight out here but, again, I will definitely eventually become well-versed in InDesign.  I just need to get up to speed quickly right now with some point-form advice to meet a harsh deadline. Some day I will help others in my position.

If there are any other easy "seat-of-pants" tips you can provide, these will be gratefully accepted. A decade ago I could navigate my way around my ancient QuarkXPress 3.3. But assume I' a total newbie with your InDesign instructions.

Thanks very much in advance.

Rob

• 1. Re: How to begin editing after importing a QuarkXpress 3.3 project
          BarbBinder Adobe Community Professional

I would like to enter these text boxes and edit. I would like to erase some text in text boxes and allow different captured or entered text to flow through the different columns provided. I'd like to move and adjust the positions of the text boxes.

Select the Type tool, click inside the frame and edit away. To move and resize frames, you'll need the Select tool (black arrow.) If the frames have a padlock in the top left corner, click the padlock or just choose Object > Unlock all on Spread.

I'd like to add new picture boxes with new pictures and replace pictures in current boxes. I'd like to move these around or adjust as necessary.

Draw new graphic frames with the Rectangle frame tool (Rectangle with the X inside). Select the frame and add photos using File > Place. To move and resize frames, you'll need the Selection tool (black arrow).

I need the text to flow around these inserted picture boxes.

Select the frame with the Selection tool and activate Text Wrap by clicking the 2nd button on the top row of Window > Text Wrap.

I'd like to add a new page in the middle of the document, perhaps a clone of one of the existing pages, assuming I need new pages to accommodate my captured text.

Layout > Pages > Duplicate Spread.

If I can do these things, I will be able to output my InDesign doc to Pdf and print as a successful print test has proved.

File > Export > PDF (Print)

Pick up a copy of Adobe InDesign CC 2015 Classroom in a Book. All this and more is covered.

• 2. Re: How to begin editing after importing a QuarkXpress 3.3 project
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

To minimize the possibility of unexpected problems later, the first thing you should do with converted Quark or Pagemaker files is to export to IDML, then open that and save as a new .indd file for editing. See Remove minor corruption by exporting

• 3. Re: How to begin editing after importing a QuarkXpress 3.3 project
              Rob BG Level 1

Just a quick thank you to both replies before retiring for the night.  I'll have a close look tomorrow.

Cheers,

Rob

• 4. Re: How to begin editing after importing a QuarkXpress 3.3 project
                Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

InDesign and Quark are very different. I would suggest to make following to converted documents:

1. Change in the preferences the text wrapping. Normally text wraps in InDesign regardless if the image is above or below, but with converted documents, text wraps only to text underneath as it was in Quark. Now you have to adjust text wrapping with all images. You can do it fast and best with an object style for the image.
                2. In Quark normally any paragraph style contains a character style. Delete those character styles. InDesign's character styles are very different than Quark's. In Quark Xpress every property is defined in a character style, in InDesign only those properties are used which differ from the hosting paragraph style. E.g. if you want to use red and perform it via character styles, you need for each font and size a different character style, in InDesign you define only character color red and you can use it anywhere. On the other hand, in Quark Xpress you use a character style as part of the paragraph style. In InDesign a paragraph style does not use character styles per se, only in combination with GREP, Inline, Nested, Bullets, Auto Number styles.
                3. Adjust and create layers. In InDesign you can also use layers on the master. Move page numbers on the most top layer, background on the most bottom layer. Make text in separate layers as images, an I would recommend to but image layers below text layers to reduce problems with text and transparency.
                4. Create Object Styles for any kind of frame: Text, Image and no Content.
                5. Don't put text frames for content on the master. But it is very important to align frames on the margins! You have to have correct margins in InDesign. They are not only guides, new text flow inside these margins and if you use layout adjustment these margin guides to change everywhere on every page the content!
                6. Go to File > Document Setup… Click on more options, and add a bleed. This is very important for modern PDF workflows to create Bleed and Crop Box. Image setters will read this information. You will not need any more crop and bleed marks therefore.
                7. When you import images, don't use EPS any more. For drawings use AI or PDF/X-4, for images use PSD or PDF/PDP if text and vectors are included! If you have images without transparency you can use JPG with high quality. More information to this topic here: http://indesignsecrets.com/tiff-vs-psd-vs-eps-vs-pdf-vs.php
                8. When you import images like photos, don't use CMYK, use RGB with color profile. Don't convert them in Photoshop or any other image editor. More information here: http://indesignsecrets.com/import-rgb-images-indesign-convert-cmyk-export.php
                9. If you require adds from others require PDF/X-4 to be placed in InDesign. Avoid PDF/X-1a or X-3 to be placed in InDesign.
                10. If you create PDFs make them via File > Export… Don't use print or Distiller!

I hope, I could help you.

Willi

• 5. Re: How to begin editing after importing a QuarkXpress 3.3 project
                  Laubender Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Nothing happened when I clicked the text box or clicked the Text icon hoping for access. Of course I see a lock symbol on these text boxes. So unlocking instructions might be top of the list.

Hi Rob,

for single text frames with that lock symbol, simply click the lock to unlock it.
                  For all locked objects on the page ( or on the spread ) you could use a menu command:

Object => "Unlock all Items on spread" (the exact wording might be different, I'm using a German version).

Unfortunatelly you cannot unlock all objects on all spreads in the document with that command. You have to do it for every single spread.

What is a spread? Usually a spread contains one or two pages depending on your document setup. A spread can contain up to 10 pages plus its surrounding pasteboard. Here is a difference to PageMaker documents. In PageMaker there was one single pasteboard for the whole document, in InDesign there is one pasteboard for every spread. (You mentioned PageMaker so I assume you are a bit familiar with it.)

Locked objects could be a remenant from the conversion process from XPress to InDesign.

InDesign is scriptable. That means automatable. For your situation it means, that with a single line of ExtendScript code one can unlock all objects on all pages in one go. A simple code like the one below would do it. An ExtendScript script is a simple text file (text without formatting!) and a *.jsx suffix.

app.documents[0].pageItems.everyItem().locked = false;

How to install InDesign scripts look up the Help files or see here:

How to Install InDesign & InCopy Scripts - Dan Rodney

Uwe

• 6. Re: How to begin editing after importing a QuarkXpress 3.3 project
                    Rob BG Level 1

I saved as IDML but when starting that file back up it indicated "490 links to a source that are missing," and certainly a scan through the document showed a lot of missing graphics.

Now part of the original instructions for converting from QuarkXPress to InDesign is to take all the graphics referenced originally in different folders and place them in one folder with the main indd file.  That indd project file seems to display 98% of the needed graphics.

R

• 7. Re: How to begin editing after importing a QuarkXpress 3.3 project
                      Rob BG Level 1

Will get into this more tomorrow, but initial investigation seems correct for everything you have offered.

Thank you Barb!!

• 8. Re: How to begin editing after importing a QuarkXpress 3.3 project
                        Rob BG Level 1
                        • Change in the preferences the text wrapping.

This is done where and should be changed to what? Sorry for being a little dumb  :^)

• In Quark normally any paragraph style contains a character style. Delete those character styles.

Where and how?

• Adjust and create layers.

Sorry, where and how?  Now this reminds me of Photoshop which I can say I'm very familiar.

• Create Object Styles for any kind of frame: Text, Image and no Content.

Hmm, this sounds a bit complicated for my current guerrilla stop-gap use.  I'll definitely dig into that if I survive the making of this current proposal.

Willi, thanks very much for the rest of your suggestions.  I will definitely take them to heart when I have time to really understand InDesign.

• Don't put text frames for content on the master. But it is very important to align frames on the margins! You have to have correct margins in InDesign. They are not only guides, new text flow inside these margins and if you use layout adjustment these margin guides to change everywhere on every page the content!
                        • Go to File > Document Setup… Click on more options, and add a bleed. This is very important for modern PDF workflows to create Bleed and Crop Box. Image setters will read this information. You will not need any more crop and bleed marks therefore.
                        • When you import images, don't use EPS any more. For drawings use AI or PDF/X-4, for images use PSD or PDF/PDP if text and vectors are included! If you have images without transparency you can use JPG with high quality. More information to this topic here: http://indesignsecrets.com/tiff-vs-psd-vs-eps-vs-pdf-vs.php
                        • When you import images like photos, don't use CMYK, use RGB with color profile. Don't convert them in Photoshop or any other image editor. More information here: http://indesignsecrets.com/import-rgb-images-indesign-convert-cmyk-export.php
                        • If you require adds from others require PDF/X-4 to be placed in InDesign. Avoid PDF/X-1a or X-3 to be placed in InDesign.
                        • If you create PDFs make them via File > Export… Don't use print or Distiller!
                        • 9. Re: How to begin editing after importing a QuarkXpress 3.3 project
                          Rob BG Level 1

Thanks, Uwe,

I did manage to unlock and get into the boxes.  Quite easy, actually.

I expect most of these boxes are locked as I expected boiler plate material not to be modified way back 10 or so years when I built the QuarkXPress 3.3 template.

Look forward to getting to know InDesign.  For years and years I avoided InDesign as just too big a program to easily slide into and ended up making my inadequate proposals in M$ Word.  But with my seemingly successful proposal template convert from QuarkXPress to InDesign and my initial easy forays into InDesign, I'm pretty optimistic.  This is really good as I was working in ancient QX 3.3 and now I can work in always updated Id.

Thanks, R

• 10. Re: How to begin editing after importing a QuarkXpress 3.3 project
                            1. In Prefrences (Mac in the InDesign Menu, Windows in the Edit Menu) go to composition.
                              Uncheck “Text Wrap Only Affects Text Beneath”
                              Screenshot 2016-05-03 10.10.00.png

2. In the Character Style Panel is a Delete Button.
                            3. In the layer Panel you have a New Layer Button, you can sort the Layers by dragging.
                            4. You need to create those styles once, save an object with such a style (and any other style you might use often) in a CC Library for later use. Not much work, but a lot to save time in the future.
                            • 11. Re: How to begin editing after importing a QuarkXpress 3.3 project
                              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Rob BG wrote:

I saved as IDML but when starting that file back up it indicated "490 links to a source that are missing," and certainly a scan through the document showed a lot of missing graphics.

Now part of the original instructions for converting from QuarkXPress to InDesign is to take all the graphics referenced originally in different folders and place them in one folder with the main indd file. That indd project file seems to display 98% of the needed graphics.

R

Did you resolve this?

Missing links has nothing to do with the export to IDML, which preserves the original link information, but if those original link paths are not available, InDesign will search the parent folder of the file, and its subfolders, for missing links when a file is opened, IF your preferences are set to do so (which I believe is the default). Saving the IDML file in the same folder as the originally converted Quark file should yield the same link information.

If you have previously copied or moved all of your links into one folder you can, if necessary, select all of the links in the Links panel, then use the Relink to Folder command in the panel menu.

• 12. Re: How to begin editing after importing a QuarkXpress 3.3 project

Save the IDML file and the new INDD file on exactly the same place, where the old file is.