5 Replies Latest reply on May 3, 2016 3:51 AM by dj_paige

Tags don't come over correctly from PSE 14

turboblast8840102420

When going into Lightroom and doing File > Import a Photoshop Elements Catalog the PSE tags do come over but there are many missing tags and some bogus tags as well.  For example the now famous zzABC@11# tag.  Unfortunately when I bought the standalone version of Lightroom I did not know about this tag which is how I later found similar threads outlining the problem:

Tags errors while importing catalog from PSE14 to LR6 | Photoshop Elements & More

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2105986

Final word: I was not able to find a solution in the Adobe forum. I chatted with an official Adobe Lightroom technician, who wrote: "I would like to inform you that importing catalog from PSE 14 to Lr 6 does not work so well." And "However, you can import the catalog to Lightroom 5 and then upgrade the catalog in Lightroom 6, that should fix the issue". We have done just that, and it did not work, giving the exact same wrong result. The technician said that he would refer the case at the next level and that they would contact me. It never happened, never heard from them.

The above quote sums it up quite well.  This is a know issue that the tags don't covert over correctly to Lightroom Keywords.  There is a attempt made to do the tag conversion but it doesn't really work.  Since I have over 20,000 photos I don't really have the time or inclination to correct the problem photo by photo. 

Is there any known fix for this problem or is one on the way?

• 1. Re: Tags don't come over correctly from PSE 14
          dj_paige Level 9
          Is there any known fix for this problem or is one on the way?

If the Adobe tech says (less than three months ago) it doesn't work well, then I would imagine the answer to your question is that there is no known fix.

Only Adobe can tell you if there is a fix on the way, and they usually don't make public comments on upcoming bug fixes, unless it's a particularly major bug fix.

You could try having PSE write the tags to the photo files, and then in Lightroom reading the metadata from the files again, and see if that helps. (CAUTION: I have never tried this, so you might want to make backups of everything — photo files and catalog files — before you try)

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Tags don't come over correctly from PSE 14
            turboblast8840102420 Level 1

You could try having PSE write the tags to the photo files, and then in Lightroom reading the metadata from the files again, and see if that helps. (CAUTION: I have never tried this, so you might want to make backups of everything — photo files and catalog files — before you try)

Thanks, Yes I had already tried this (ie in PSE 14 did 'Save Metadata to Files') and this did not fix it.

The initial problem I had was trying to find a trial version of lightroom that was not part of the creative cloud.  I found some links but could never find one that worked.  Therefore I ended up buying a standalone version of lightroom on Amazon.  Now to find out that it won't work for me is very frustrating.  I think they try to make it hard to find the standalone trial of lightroom.

• 3. Re: Tags don't come over correctly from PSE 14
              dj_paige Level 9

The only trial available is the LR CC trial, there is no Lightroom 6 trial, but these are the exact same program, only the licenses and payment methods differ, and with the CC license, a few more features are turned on. If it worked properly or not in the LR CC trial, it would work the same in LR 6.

• 4. Re: Tags don't come over correctly from PSE 14
                turboblast8840102420 Level 1

Yes, in hindsight I realize that I should have use the CC trial first, it is just that I didn't want the creative cloud so I didn't want to install that trial.  I kind of feel like I just got back from the market and discovered my pocket was picked, they got the wallet out of my back pocket.  In hindsight I should have had it in the front one (harder to get at)!

• 5. Re: Tags don't come over correctly from PSE 14
                  dj_paige Level 9

Just in case anyone else reads this thread, the Lightroom CC Trial allows you to completely disable the Creative Cloud parts of Lightroom, so there's really no harm in trying the Lightroom CC Trial, even if you never want to use the Creative Cloud parts of Lightroom.

2 people found this helpful