1 Reply Latest reply on May 2, 2016 10:37 AM by Szalam

Why is AE so slow?

gregrock23 Level 1

HI! I'm using the current version of AE CC, updated a few days ago. Working off default settings. I purchased a workstation computer that only has 64 gigs of ram at the moment, 250 gb solid state drive,1 tb external drive, and an 8 core processor. I found out AE does not support my nividea graphics card sadly, so that may be slowing me down.

I can't preview anything without a five minute wait, and audio preview is a joke.Over all the program runs so slow I can't use it for anything unless I want to sit and watch things load for 90 percent of my sitting. This is strange since Blender runs so quick.

My question is; what do I have to buy to make this puppy work in real time? Money is no issue- if I need a good graphics card that will be supported I have no problem buying a titan or whatever is needed, if I need a dual CPU I can do that no problem, I can even go up to a terabyte of ram here. Before I spend he money though, what would be the thing I should focus on more? What does AE use for speed?

I have been using AE for about a year on a mac with similar speed issues- except the mac had a percent of the specs my current computer has.

Thank you by the way for any advice!

• 1. Re: Why is AE so slow?
          Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What is in your project? This will make a big difference in how AE works. If you have just a couple of shape layers moving around, you should get the preview caching in real time or faster.

AE must cache a preview to RAM before it can play it back in real time.

If you just grabbed a template, those things are notoriously complex and will likely require a long render time. If you're building something from scratch, it should be a lot faster.

If you are using the ray-traced renderer, the GPU matters a lot, but that's an obsolete feature, so I wouldn't worry about it much (and I certainly wouldn't use it). Other than that, the current version of AE really doesn't use the GPU for much at all.

Remember, what you're seeing in AE is the final render. When you play something back in Blender, you are likely not seeing the final render; just an animation preview. So, if you have a complex template, it's rendering the entire scene.

There are tips and tricks you will pick up as you work with AE over time for how to speed up your workflow (things like previewing at lower resolution, every other frame, draft 3d, animation tests with lower quality settings on effects, etc.).