6 Replies Latest reply on May 4, 2016 4:56 PM by chicnhed

PDF problem with small publication - what's happening?

chicnhed

I just ran into a problem with a small newsprint publication and an ad that I exported as a press-ready pdf from indesign CS6. The editor suggests that I “embed the fonts” (which apparently indesign always does) or that I send her a tiff. When I asked specifically what problem she was seeing, she said, “the type was in blocks on top of the image” (whatever that means) but that she “fixed it.” Does anyone have any idea what could be happening here?

• 1. Re: PDF problem with small publication - what's happening?
          BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

I’ll be she opened it in Illustrator.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: PDF problem with small publication - what's happening?
            chicnhed Level 1

I just opened the pdf in illustrator and you may be on to something. It's doing the normal things illustrator would do when you open a pdf that came from indesign. Why would she be opening ads in illustrator if she just needs to lay them out in her little newsprint pub? Is there a better way to export that would avoid this? I'm a little tempted to give her that massive tiff.

• 3. Re: PDF problem with small publication - what's happening?
              George_Johnson MVP & Adobe Community Professional

People misuse Illustrator for PDFs all the time. It's usually a mistake.

• 4. Re: PDF problem with small publication - what's happening?
                BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

The answer could be ignorance. If she wasn’t trained properly it’s not her fault.

• 5. Re: PDF problem with small publication - what's happening?
                  Dov Isaacs Adobe Employee

I'd go along with the speculation that the problem is that the “editor” is in fact opening the PDF file in Illustrator, either to somehow “check” or “fix” it or maybe even to “convert” it to some other format; the symptoms support that conclusion. This type of gross misuse of Adobe Illustrator is absolutely rampant in the industry and based on our experience here at Adobe is one of leading causes of problems in PDF publishing workflows.

To quote myself from any number of previous responses – Adobe Illustrator is not, repeat not, repeat yet again not a general purpose PDF file editor. The only PDF files that can be safely edited in Adobe Illustrator are PDF files that were saved as PDF files from the current or previous version of Illustrator and even then, only if the Preserve Illustrator Editing Capabilities option is checked. Note that this particular option is not available for PDF files saved in Illustrator as PDF/X-4 or even PDF/X-1a. Opening any other PDF files in Adobe Illustrator may result in lost text, mangled text, text spacing problems, font substitution and/or outlining, color space changes, and other lost content.

To check or preflight a PDF file, you use Adobe Acrobat!

To the issue at hand, who knows what this “small newsprint publication” is using for layout? For all we know, they might be using Microsoft Publisher or Word or for that matter, even PowerPoint — don't laugh, I've seen this done — none of which support placement of PDF content.

- Dov

2 people found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: PDF problem with small publication - what's happening?
                    chicnhed Level 1

All of what you said makes total sense. My client is the one that has been communicating with the editor and I passed along what I've now learned about what might be happening here. Hopefully, this will put to rest some issues she was having. Thank you!