6 Replies Latest reply on May 3, 2016 6:30 AM by Alfred Pennyworth

LR CC: Using External HDD as "To do" folder between devices?

Durbs_Toast

I've subscribed to CC, haven't yet bothered with Photoshop as LR tends to fulfil all of my needs.

My main PC has the full LR catalogue and is where I do most of my "proper" editing. However work have recently given me a Surface Pro 4 which is great for basic editing, reviewing and other bits and pieces.

I know I can use the LightRoom Mobile app for Smart Previews for quick flag/reject workflow, and super-basic edits, but I was wondering how best to work between the Surface and the PC.

I have a folder "To Do" which I basically dump all photos in straight off the camera and it's this that I'd like to sync between devices. I tried using OneDrive for this purpose but upload speeds are so slow (Sony A7R2 RAW's are 86mb each!) that it's not really valid.

Can I instead put the "To Do" folder on an external hard-drive, dump photos to this and then point LightRoom at it? So when connected to the tablet, I can make changes flag etc, then can plug it into the PC, and it still has any edits and flags saved against those files? The Mobile app also points to this for Smart Previews too? Once marked as "Done" I export to the main PC.

I assume I'll have to lock the drive letter, but will this work before I shell out for a USB3 HDD?

• 1. Re: LR CC: Using External HDD as "To do" folder between devices?
          Alfred Pennyworth Level 4

The Surface Pro is not a tablet, it is a full blown PC and LR mobile will not work with it! However you can install LR onto it and use a Portable hard drive between the 2 quite easily by putting the Catalog and Photos on it, this way both will have access to it! You will have to lock the drive letter for this to work correctly as you say.

The other option is to export a Catalog with Smart Previews and use this on the USB drive with the Surface Pro and be able to rate, edit etc with it and sync back to the main Catalog.

I trust this helps?

2 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: LR CC: Using External HDD as "To do" folder between devices?
            Akash Sharma Adobe Employee

Hi Durbs_Toast ,

The best option is to keep Lightroom catalog along with previews Folder  and all images on an external drive and share it on two computers.

You may alsorefer Lightroom on two computers

Regards,

Akash

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: LR CC: Using External HDD as "To do" folder between devices?
              Durbs_Toast Level 1

Sorry, yes - appreciate the SP4 is a proper PC, but it does also have "Tablet mode" and "tablet" is shorter to say The mobile app was for my phone (which I forgot to mention).

It's my understanding that LR can only have one "live" catalogue to work from, so I guess my question was essentially can I share a folder between two catalogues (PC & SP4). I wasn't sure that when saving edits, flags etc, whether these were written to the image files, or stored locally (and thus making external HDD redundant if the changes are saved on the PC/SP4)...?

I don't want/need to have my entire catalogue on the external HDD (I've got backups in place already), just the "to do" folder, so wasn't sure if this would work.

Or, am I using LR slightly wrong, and the "To do" folder should actually be a catalogue itself?

Many thanks for the responses though

• 4. Re: LR CC: Using External HDD as "To do" folder between devices?

You can use a temporary Catalog, for the want of a better phrase, to move between the 2 computers, exporting a Catalog with either the full photos, described as negative files, or just with Smart Previews, which is quicker and takes up less space!

You maintain the main Catalog on the main computer, and when the hard drive is connected back to it, you can import from the temp Catalog back to it, and the photos will be updated with whatever you did on the Surface Pro. I hope I am clear? I can do it easier than try to explain it!!

As regards LR Mobile on the iPhone, It can only sync its collections with 1 Catalog. Your 'To Do' Folder can hold the temp Catalog and the Previews inside on the USB drive. Many people use the external drive with the full Catalog and photos on to move between the 2, however I understand if you only want a smaller subset on the Surface Pro. In that case then the export with smart previews would probably serve the purpose?

• 5. Re: LR CC: Using External HDD as "To do" folder between devices?
                  Durbs_Toast Level 1

Cool thanks - the main reason I don't want to take my full catalogue is it goes back to about 2008, so it's a bit overkill.

I also think (perhaps wrongly) that the SSD on the PC is quicker to use (especially for edits) than a large (1TB>) external HDD?

• 6. Re: LR CC: Using External HDD as "To do" folder between devices?

The SSD would probably be quicker for read/write operations when compared to a normal external drive, I use both but don't to compare as long as I can do what I want to do!  I tend not to be concerned with performance unless it does crawl along! I have a catalog with goes back to LR 1 in 2007, and have used various means between 2 computers over the years! 

I now tend to use the temp, or location Catalog when using the portable laptop, which is the 12in MacBook with a small SSD similar to the Surface Pro. Good luck.