13 Replies Latest reply on May 3, 2016 8:34 AM by JTV1234

Working with jpegs and NEF's together

Limefoto

Chat conversation start

11:57

I am investigating a workflow in LR suitable for working with a media agency. To do this I shoot both NEF and Jpg. I separate them in LR as I must only edit the Jpg for media output. The NEF becomes the Archive record. When I rename the files in LR I want the Jpg and the NEF to have the identical file name/number, so they can be cross referenced in the future. Is this possible?

We are being told that we must only send out edited Jpeg to Reuters for news purposes but the NEF is the archival and reference file.

I would prefer to only need to deep caption once also.

• 1. Re: Working with jpegs and NEF's together
          dj_paige Level 9

Maybe I'm not understanding something (very possible)

but why do you need both NEF and JPG?

If you have to send out JPGs, then import the NEF only, edit the NEF, export it as JPG, then send it out. This eliminates the need to import both into LR, and probably makes your life simpler in other ways as well.

• 2. Re: Working with jpegs and NEF's together
            99jon Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It would be far easier to import just the NEF files, unless you need jpegs for fast turnaround out in the field. Using the NEF for all editing, and metadata entry; you can export a jpeg at any time for Reuters and avoid duplication.

• 3. Re: Working with jpegs and NEF's together
              dj_paige Level 9

Agreed

Regarding editing: If the JPG has to be edited, it's just as fast as editing the NEF, but there will be better quality editing the NEF. The only possible reason I can think of for sending the JPG out is if you need it fast and can do so without editing (or even taking the time to do the export to JPG from the NEF in Lightroom). But the OP stated that the JPG has to be edited, this is the worst possible decision in this scenario.

• 4. Re: Working with jpegs and NEF's together
                Limefoto Level 1

Thanks for your responses.  The issue is, we must edit the jpegs for news purposes as directed by Reuters.  They will not even accept jpegs edited from the NEF.  This is Reuters policy as widely distributed in the press.  The NEF is purely for archiving (although we can edit the NEF in the future for use outside of the NEWS).  I envisage in the near future, that after NEWS output has been met and distributed, we can feasibly delete them and retain the NEF only.  My understanding is this is not a speed issue, but to ensure that only limited editing has been done.  Our workflow is currently with PhotoMechanic, which is really easy to switch edit from NEF to JPEG, even on a job by job basis.

• 5. Re: Working with jpegs and NEF's together
                  dj_paige Level 9

Wow. I did not know that Reuters was this dogmatic.

I guess this is beating a dead horse, but:

How could they even tell that the NEF was edited and exported as a JPG? And why would they care anyway, a JPG is a JPG, regardless of what it started out life as. What's the benefit to insisting that only the JPG be edited?

However, back to the original question, what should your workflow be?

1. Import all photos, JPG and NEF, into the same folder (to do this, you have to make sure that Lightroom is treating the JPG and NEF as separate images, there is an option to ensure this happens)
                  2. edit the JPGs
                  3. rename all if needed (you should be able to rename both the JPG and NEF in one operation)
                  4. select both the JPG and corresponding NEF, enter the caption
                  5. export the JPG and deliver to whoever
                  6. Done
                  • 6. Re: Working with jpegs and NEF's together
                    Limefoto Level 1

I have replied further down in the thread (not sure if notifications are passed on)

• 7. Re: Working with jpegs and NEF's together
                      Limefoto Level 1

Thanks for the reply.

I have the preferences tick box set to separate file types.  On import, the jpeg's and NEF's can rename, but the names are not corresponding.  The jpeg becomes 1, the NEF becomes 2. (this is when renamed on import)

I am also looking at a generic caption on import, so this will apply to both the Jpeg's and NEF's, however when I then do a deep caption, names etc, I would prefer to not have to double up.  If I select both files and do the deep caption, will it apply to both files?

Exporting and distribution is fine.

I am waiting to hear back on clarification from Reuters, but my understanding that they are operating this way.  As we supply imagery to several agencies, our work flow must be suitable for the lowest common denominator.

• 8. Re: Working with jpegs and NEF's together
                        dj_paige Level 9

I have the preferences tick box set to separate file types.

I don't think you want to do this. You want to put both the JPG and NEF photos into the same folder.

On import, the jpeg's and NEF's can rename, but the names are not corresponding.  The jpeg becomes 1, the NEF becomes 2. (this is when renamed on import)

To tell you the truth, I never tried this, but what happens if you rename after you import (use F2)?

If I select both files and do the deep caption, will it apply to both files?

If you select both files in the grid (not the filmstrip), then any metadata applied to one is applied to all other selected files.

• 9. Re: Working with jpegs and NEF's together
                          Limefoto Level 1

Ok, just re-read you post.

Desired work flow is.

1. Import from camera / card, at the same time rename and add basic caption.

2. select imagery for output, edit and deep caption (ideally to both Jpeg and NEF)

3. Export from the Jpeg at to required settings.

Some time later...

4.  Delete Jpeg's and archive NEF's

5.  If imagery requested beyond NEWS useage limitations, the picture desk can quickly re-export from the NEF at any time in the future.

• 10. Re: Working with jpegs and NEF's together
                            Limefoto Level 1

I have the preferences tick box set to separate file types.

I don't think you want to do this. You want to put both the JPG and NEF photos into the same folder.

Without separate files, Lightroom assumes that on export, I should export the NEF. 

On import, the jpeg's and NEF's can rename, but the names are not corresponding.  The jpeg becomes 1, the NEF becomes 2. (this is when renamed on import)

To tell you the truth, I never tried this, but what happens if you rename after you import (use F2)?

You still get different numbers though.

Thanks for info on caption though, that helps certainly.

• 11. Re: Working with jpegs and NEF's together
                              JTV1234 Level 1

As to the file names, doesn't "Library|Rename Photo" do what you want?  If you're working in the grid view and select a batch of photos, that will apply a naming pattern to all of the selected photos.  That should keep the jpegs and raws with the same basename.

As to the captioning, if you select both raw and jpeg in the grid view, metadata changes can be applied simultaneously to all selected images.  Or did I misunderstand the problem?

• 12. Re: Working with jpegs and NEF's together
                                dj_paige Level 9

1. Import from camera / card, at the same time rename and add basic caption.

2. select imagery for output, edit and deep caption (ideally to both Jpeg and NEF)

3. Export from the Jpeg at to required settings.

Some time later...

4.  Delete Jpeg's and archive NEF's

5.  If imagery requested beyond NEWS useage limitations, the picture desk can quickly re-export from the NEF at any time in the future.

• In #1, you can't do add caption at import, and you said that renaming doesn't do what you want
                                • In #4, you are making extra work for yourself, leave the JPGs alone — and I don't exactly know what you mean by "archive NEF's" but again it sounds to me like you are making extra work, just leave the NEFs where they are well
                                • In #5, the edits are not associated with the NEF files, they are only associated with the JPG, so you need the JPG to re-export and get the same result. Hence my advice not to delete the JPGs.

Without separate files, Lightroom assumes that on export, I should export the NEF.

Incorrect. If you select the JPG to export, it exports from the JPG. (And you mean separate folders, not separate files, right?)

• 13. Re: Working with jpegs and NEF's together
                                  JTV1234 Level 1

Limefoto wrote:

I have the preferences tick box set to separate file types. On import, the jpeg's and NEF's can rename, but the names are not corresponding. The jpeg becomes 1, the NEF becomes 2. (this is when renamed on import)

The 1, 2, etc. are probably not the filenames.  Check your view settings (View|View Options) to make sure that you're displaying the filename in the grid cells and not just the index number.