6 Replies Latest reply on May 4, 2016 5:06 PM by thebigp123

Multiple Masks and Inverting

thebigp123

I added one mask and inverted it and would like to get the same effect on multiple masks but when I set all the others to subtract it just makes them black instead of use the effect. What should I do?

Screenshot for reference:

• 1. Re: Multiple Masks and Inverting
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

That's what the intersect mode and reordering the masks is for. Multi-masks always operate on the result of the previous mask, not the original image and you need to structure your stuff accordingly and figure out the logic to get you the results you want.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Multiple Masks and Inverting
            thebigp123 Level 1

Thank you for the info, I didn't know masks operated on those before them. Would you happen to have any suggestions for how to structure my masks to get the same effect of color on the rest of my masks as the first one?

Paul

• 3. Re: Multiple Masks and Inverting
              Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You're doing this the wrong way. Apply your tint effect to an adjustment layer and put your masks (set to Add  - not inverted) on the adjustment layer.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Multiple Masks and Inverting
                thebigp123 Level 1

It worked, thank you so much!

• 5. Re: Multiple Masks and Inverting
                  Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

No need for an adjustment layer. The screenshot is not very clear but you have applied tint and then seven masks but only Mask 1 is selected as part of the compositing effect.

Here's how to do it correctly. Draw your seven masks. The add mode for the masks will give you seven circles. Change the mode to subtract and you'll have seven holes in your layer. Now apply the tint effect and spin down the Compositing options and press the + icon 7 times to all all seven masks as compositing options for the layer. EZ, Quick, and for this effect more efficient than an adjustment layer.

When you have problems with an effect or procedure the first thing you should do is select the layer and press the U key twice to reveal all modified properties of the layer. If the solution is not obvious then type the name or the effect or procedure you are using in the Search Help field at the top right corner of AE and check out the community resources. You will generally find better training than if you just start poking around Google or YouTube. You've got to vet your trainers and make sure that they know enough to point you to efficient techniques and good workflows. About half of the training on YouTube isn't very good and there's a bunch of it out there that will teach you bad habits and terrible workflows.

Just in case you didn't catch the explanation here's what your comp should look like.

Screen Shot 2016-05-03 at 11.20.10 PM.png

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Multiple Masks and Inverting
                    thebigp123 Level 1

I got the job done with an adjustment layer but this is very useful information for the future! I just recently started using the program for a project and tried to learn the program quickly. This was the only bit I needed After Effects for, everything else was in Premiere which I got a handle of much easier. But I will keep your tips in mind for the future, thanks!