6 Replies Latest reply on May 11, 2006 11:56 AM by Newsgroup_User

Adding Scale to Images (batch)?

Gijith
      Hello,

I'm pretty new to fireworks. I've been managing a website that contains about a thousand images of geologic samples. Recently, my boss suggested that we add a scale to all the images so that people would have a better idea of how large a sample is. So what I'm looking to do is add an image (the scale) onto an image, have it anchored in a particular corner (not all site images are the same size), and do it via batch, since I don't have time to do it 1000 times over in photoshop... Can anyone recommend how this can be done in Fireworks? Can it be done in Fireworks? If not, can anyone recommend a program that may be able to accomplish this? Thank you very much.

Have a good day
        • 1. Re: Adding Scale to Images (batch)?
          Gijith Level 1
          Bump.

...?
          • 2. Re: Adding Scale to Images (batch)?
            Level 7
            The only way I can think of doing this would be if all the images are
            approximately the same size and posting that value next to the image.
            So you would have an image and at the bottom/side some text saying
            approximately 34KB or <>34Kb or some such thing.
            I have not heard of a program that would look at the file size and then
            write it somewhere on the image.
            There are plenty of them that will allow you to stamp the images but it
            would be the same text on all images.

alex

Gijith wrote:
            > Hello,
            >
            > I'm pretty new to fireworks. I've been managing a website that contains about
            > a thousand images of geologic samples. Recently, my boss suggested that we add
            > a scale to all the images so that people would have a better idea of how large
            > a sample is. So what I'm looking to do is add an image (the scale) onto an
            > image, have it anchored in a particular corner (not all site images are the
            > same size), and do it via batch, since I don't have time to do it 1000 times
            > over in photoshop... Can anyone recommend how this can be done in Fireworks?
            > Can it be done in Fireworks? If not, can anyone recommend a program that may be
            > able to accomplish this? Thank you very much.
            >
            > Have a good day
            >
            • 3. Re: Adding Scale to Images (batch)?
              Level 7
              On Thu, 11 May 2006 17:14:50 +0400, Gijith <webforumsuser@macromedia.com>
              wrote:

> Bump.
              >
              > ...?

Maybe simple HTML text next to the image may help? Together with simple
              command prompt "dir" command producing full list of files together with
              file size info?

--
              Ilya Razmanov
              http://photoshop.msk.ru - Photoshop plug-in filters
              • 4. Re: Adding Scale to Images (batch)?
                Level 7
                On Fri 05 May 2006 03:17:10p, Gijith wrote in macromedia.fireworks:

> I'm pretty new to fireworks. I've been managing a website that
                > contains about a thousand images of geologic samples. Recently, my
                > boss suggested that we add a scale to all the images so that people
                > would have a better idea of how large a sample is. So what I'm looking
                > to do is add an image (the scale) onto an image, have it anchored in a
                > particular corner (not all site images are the same size), and do it
                > via batch, since I don't have time to do it 1000 times over in
                > photoshop... Can anyone recommend how this can be done in Fireworks?
                > Can it be done in Fireworks? If not, can anyone recommend a program
                > that may be able to accomplish this?

If the original images don't have a scale in them, unless they were taken
                under carefully controlled conditions, so that you know that, say, 100
                pixels = 1 mm, then there's no way that I can think of to do this
                automatically.
                • 5. Re: Adding Scale to Images (batch)?
                  Gijith Level 1
                  quote:

Originally posted by: Newsgroup User
                  If the original images don't have a scale in them, unless they were taken
                  under carefully controlled conditions, so that you know that, say, 100
                  pixels = 1 mm, then there's no way that I can think of to do this
                  automatically.

This actually is the case. All the images taken from a very controlled experiment. And I haven't changed the resolution on any of them. So yeah, it's something like 240 pixels equals an inch. Can anyone explain how I can create an automatic process based on this. Keep in mind that the images are not the same size. Thanks again.

• 6. Re: Adding Scale to Images (batch)?
                    Level 7
                    On Thu 11 May 2006 02:24:37p, Gijith wrote in macromedia.fireworks:

> This actually is the case. All the images taken from a very controlled
                    > experiment. And I haven't changed the resolution on any of them. So
                    > yeah, it's something like 240 pixels equals an inch. Can anyone
                    > explain how I can create an automatic process based on this. Keep in
                    > mind that the images are not the same size.

ImageMagick (IM - http://www.imagemagick.org/script/index.php) should do
                    what you want. It's been a while since I've used it, though, so I can't
                    give you any detailed instructions. But it will process images in a batch,
                    and will allow you to create an image from multiple source images. There
                    are Linux and Windows binaries available; if you have access to a Linux
                    box, you probably already have IM installed.