13 Replies Latest reply on May 6, 2006 3:19 PM by Newsgroup_User

When I resize an image 4-5 times it blurs automatica

dj2345
      Can someone please please HELP !!!

When I paste an image into Fireworks and start to resize it using the mouse. The image starts to blur. The more and more I resize it say 4-5 times the image becomes un clear. It seems there is an automatic blur on the image. Never set anything. It does for every image. If you try opening a jpg or bmp in fireworks and start to resize it using mouse (drag window to appropriate size) you will notice the image becomes blurry. Why is this ? Driving me nuts !!! Please reply ASAP.

many thanks

Dean
        • 1. Re: When I resize an image 4-5 times it blurs automatica
          Level 7
          Because of pixelation...

"dj2345" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
          news:e3dlae$p7$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          > Can someone please please HELP !!!
          >
          > When I paste an image into Fireworks and srat to resize it using the
          > mouse.
          > The image starts to blur. The more and more I resize it say 4-5 times the
          > image becomes un clear. It seems there is an automatic blur on the image.
          > Never set anything. It does for every image. If you try opening a jpg or
          > bmp
          > in fireworks and start to resize it using mouse (drag window to
          > appropriate
          > size) you will notice the image becomes blurry. Why is this ? Driving me
          > nuts
          > !!! Please reply ASAP.
          >
          > many thanks
          >
          > Dean
          >

• 2. Re: When I resize an image 4-5 times it blurs automatica
            Level 7
            dj2345 wrote:
            >
            > When I paste an image into Fireworks and srat to resize it using the mouse.
            > The image starts to blur. The more and more I resize it say 4-5 times the
            > image becomes un clear. It seems there is an automatic blur on the image.
            > Never set anything. It does for every image. If you try opening a jpg or bmp
            > in fireworks and start to resize it using mouse (drag window to appropriate
            > size) you will notice the image becomes blurry. Why is this ? Driving me nuts
            > !!! Please reply ASAP.

Bitmap images have a finite number of pixels and when you enlarge them
            you simply make those pixels bigger. Fireworks or any other image editor
            cannot "invent" details that aren't there to begin with. Zomm in to the
            image before resizing and you will see the pixels that comprise it.
            Those are the smallest details that you will get. Enlarging the image
            will only enlarge those pixels so the image will end up looking more and
            more pixelated.

Resizing an image down is usually not a problem although you may need to
            apply sharpening at some point to bring back some of the smaller detail.

If you really need larger versions of your images you'll need to get
            larger source images or, depending on the type of image you may be able
            to recreate it as vectors in Fireworks. Contrary to bitmap graphics,
            vector objects can be resized at will without loss of detail.

--
            St�phane Bergeron
            reach : connect : communicate
            http://www.webfocusdesign.com
            blog : tutorials : articles : gallery
            http://www.pixelyzed.com
            • 3. Re: When I resize an image 4-5 times it blurs automatica
              Level 7
              Also make sure that Faster but less accurate resampling is NOT checked
              in the Preference dialog. This won't solve your problem completely, but
              it will help.

--
              Jim Babbage - .:CMX:. & .:ACE:.
              Extending Knowledge, Daily
              http://www.communityMX.com/
              CommunityMX - Free Resources:
              http://www.communitymx.com/free.cfm
              ---
              .:Adobe Community Expert for Fireworks:.
              news://forums.macromedia.com/macromedia.fireworks
              news://forums.macromedia.com/macromedia.dreamweaver

St�phane Bergeron wrote:
              > dj2345 wrote:
              >> Can someone please please HELP !!!
              >>
              >> When I paste an image into Fireworks and srat to resize it using the
              >> mouse. The image starts to blur. The more and more I resize it say
              >> 4-5 times the image becomes un clear. It seems there is an automatic
              >> blur on the image. Never set anything. It does for every image. If
              >> you try opening a jpg or bmp in fireworks and start to resize it using
              >> mouse (drag window to appropriate size) you will notice the image
              >> becomes blurry. Why is this ? Driving me nuts !!! Please reply ASAP.
              >
              > Bitmap images have a finite number of pixels and when you enlarge them
              > you simply make those pixels bigger. Fireworks or any other image editor
              > cannot "invent" details that aren't there to begin with. Zomm in to the
              > image before resizing and you will see the pixels that comprise it.
              > Those are the smallest details that you will get. Enlarging the image
              > will only enlarge those pixels so the image will end up looking more and
              > more pixelated.
              >
              > Resizing an image down is usually not a problem although you may need to
              > apply sharpening at some point to bring back some of the smaller detail.
              >
              > If you really need larger versions of your images you'll need to get
              > larger source images or, depending on the type of image you may be able
              > to recreate it as vectors in Fireworks. Contrary to bitmap graphics,
              > vector objects can be resized at will without loss of detail.
              >
              • 4. Re: When I resize an image 4-5 times it blurs automatica
                Level 7
                On Thu, 04 May 2006 23:39:58 +0400, dj2345 <webforumsuser@macromedia.com>
                wrote:

>
                > When I paste an image into Fireworks and srat to resize it using the
                > mouse.
                > The image starts to blur. The more and more I resize it say 4-5 times
                > the
                > image becomes un clear. It seems there is an automatic blur on the
                > image.
                > Never set anything. It does for every image.

In addition to what Stephane wrote I would add that *every* time you
                actually try to resize bitmap object, you make you program interpolate the
                details that are not present in the original. So, the more times you try
                to resize the original, the more "blur" (the effect of interpolation) you
                will have. So, when it comes to inserting bitmap objects, you'd better be
                planning ahead: first you decide what size the object should have, next
                you do precise transformation.

--
                Ilya Razmanov
                http://photoshop.msk.ru - Photoshop plug-in filters
                • 5. Re: When I resize an image 4-5 times it blurs automatica
                  senocular Level 1
                  You can avoid this behavior by first converting your bitmap to a graphic symbol (Modify > Symbol > Convert to Symbol... or F8). Then, as a symbol, you can scale down an image and scale it back up without losing any of its original quality.
                  • 6. Re: When I resize an image 4-5 times it blurs automatica
                    Level 7
                    senocular wrote:
                    > You can avoid this behavior by first converting your bitmap to a graphic symbol
                    > (Modify > Symbol > Convert to Symbol... or F8). Then, as a symbol, you can
                    > scale down an image and scale it back up without losing any of its original
                    > quality.

Yes, that's a good trick for going down then back up but what I think
                    the OP wants is to open an image and directly enlarge it to 4 or 5 times
                    its natural size. That will never yield acceptable results in any
                    graphic app.

--
                    St�phane Bergeron
                    reach : connect : communicate
                    http://www.webfocusdesign.com
                    blog : tutorials : articles : gallery
                    http://www.pixelyzed.com
                    • 7. Re: When I resize an image 4-5 times it blurs automatica
                      Level 7
                      On Thu, 4 May 2006, St�phane Bergeron wrote

>Bitmap images have a finite number of pixels and when you enlarge them
                      >you simply make those pixels bigger.

No, enlarging an image adds pixels to the image. Pixels don't get
                      bigger. How would a graphics app control the physical size of a single
                      cell on an LCD display?

>Fireworks or any other image editor cannot "invent" details that aren't
                      >there to begin with.

That's exactly what they do. Pixels are added by interpolating from the
                      values of adjacent pixels.

>Zomm in to the image before resizing and you will see the pixels that
                      >comprise it. Those are the smallest details that you will get.
                      >Enlarging the image will only enlarge those pixels so the image will
                      >end up looking more and more pixelated.

Graphical zoom isn't anything like optical zoom. Graphical Zoom a single
                      pixel by 10 and you get a 100 pixels ( 10 x 10) i.e. the same pixel
                      replicated 100 times. Zoom a single object by 10 with an optical
                      microscope and you still see a single object, only bigger, not 100
                      objects.

--
                      Richard Mason
                      • 8. Re: When I resize an image 4-5 times it blurs automatica
                        Level 7
                        senocular wrote:
                        > You can avoid this behavior by first converting your bitmap to a graphic symbol
                        > (Modify > Symbol > Convert to Symbol... or F8). Then, as a symbol, you can
                        > scale down an image and scale it back up without losing any of its original
                        > quality.
                        >

Good point. I keep forgetting that!

--
                        Jim Babbage - .:CMX:. & .:ACE:.
                        Extending Knowledge, Daily
                        http://www.communityMX.com/
                        CommunityMX - Free Resources:
                        http://www.communitymx.com/free.cfm
                        ---
                        .:Adobe Community Expert for Fireworks:.
                        news://forums.macromedia.com/macromedia.fireworks
                        news://forums.macromedia.com/macromedia.dreamweaver
                        • 9. Re: When I resize an image 4-5 times it blurs automatica
                          Level 7
                          Richard Mason wrote:
                          > No, enlarging an image adds pixels to the image. Pixels don't get
                          > bigger. How would a graphics app control the physical size of a single
                          > cell on an LCD display?

Well, yeah, pixels are added but they only basically subdivide the
                          original pixels as they get larger. Visually the results looks very much
                          like the original pixels just get enlarged even though you are right
                          that this is not exactly true because of interpolation. For all intents
                          and purposes it's still what basically happens though and the results
                          will not be good.

> That's exactly what they do. Pixels are added by interpolating from the
                          > values of adjacent pixels.

That interpolation when enlarging images by 400 to 500% as the OP asked
                          cannot create "real" detail that will make the enlarged image look good
                          and anywhere near what the real scene looked like. My basic point was
                          that the image will look like crap with that amount of resizing
                          regardless of the quality of software interpolation which is basically
                          guesswork that yields pretty poor results. It's a bad idea to enlarge
                          bitmap images that much period.

--
                          St�phane Bergeron
                          reach:connect:communicate
                          www.webfocusdesign.com
                          blog:tutorials:articles:gallery
                          www.pixelyzed.com
                          • 10. Re: When I resize an image 4-5 times it blurs automatica
                            dj2345 Level 1
                            THANKS GUYS

Stephane you seem to understand my problem.

I simply understand if you enlarge a n image th pixels become bigger but helpers out there , just try this one thing.

Insert an image and drag it using bottom right corner, going smaller and smaller and then back up to it's original size. You will notice the image is not as it's original quality !!! This seems like a bug in fireworks. I have used many art packages in the past being a graphics designer but the only solution is to edit the image (converting to a object - F8) before inserting it onto the page.

This is totally bizarre. Some of you may of got wrong end of the stick... my mistake. Understand pixels change when resizing but I am trying to point out when moving / resizing the image and then back to it's original state.... you lose the original quality ?

Wish I could show you a demonstration. Have a go and look carefully. Drag an image to a smaller size and then back to it's original size. Do this about 8 times and then look carefully. You will notice the image quality has reduced even though it's back to it's original state.

Someone please help !! Need a guru on this one !! It's a pain having to edit the image in photoshop or using the f8 method setting the accurate size all the time before inserting file. Wish I could just use the mouse as normal. The blur that is applied to the photo is weird and look slike th blur tool is enabled somehow. This is the thing you guys are missing out. The actual image does not lose resolution quality but original quality... blur is applied !!!

Many thanks guys... please see if you can answer this one.

Dean
                            • 11. Re: When I resize an image 4-5 times it blurs automatica
                              Level 7
                              That is exactly what everyone has been saying.
                              Make it smaller - you resample the image. Now those pixels are
                              lost,period. So when you make it bigger there is a lot less information
                              therefore the original quality is no longer there.

If you need to, play around with the size of an image until it fits the
                              design by changing the size back and forth. Once you are satisfied with
                              the design reimport the image one more time and ONCE make it the right
                              size. Or use senocular's tip on making the image a symbol first.

btw, at you will also get image distortion with your method in Photoshop.

dj2345 wrote:
                              > THANKS GUYS
                              >
                              > Stephane you seem to understand my problem.
                              >
                              > I simply understand if you enlarge a n image th pixels become bigger but
                              > helpers out there , just try this one thing.
                              >
                              > Insert an image and drag it using bottom right corner, going smaller and
                              > smaller and then back up to it's original size. You will notice the image is
                              > not as it's original quality !!! This seems like a bug in fireworks. I have
                              > used many art packages in the past being a graphics designer but the only
                              > solution is to edit the image (converting to a object - F8) before inserting it
                              > onto the page.
                              >
                              > This is totally bizarre. Some of you may of got wrong end of the stick... my
                              > mistake. Understand pixels change when resizing but I am trying to point out
                              > when moving / resizing the image and then back to it's original state.... you
                              > lose the original quality ?
                              >
                              > Wish I could show you a demonstration. Have a go and look carefully. Drag
                              > an image to a smaller size and then back to it's original size. Do this about
                              > 8 times and then look carefully. You will notice the image quality has reduced
                              > even though it's back to it's original state.
                              >
                              > Someone please help !! Need a guru on this one !! It's a pain having to edit
                              > the image in photoshop or using the f8 method setting the accurate size all the
                              > time before inserting file. Wish I could just use the mouse as normal. The
                              > blur that is applied to the photo is weird and look slike th blur tool is
                              > enabled somehow. This is the thing you guys are missing out. The actual image
                              > does not lose resolution quality but original quality... blur is applied !!!
                              >
                              > Many thanks guys... please see if you can answer this one.
                              >
                              > Dean
                              >
                              • 12. Re: When I resize an image 4-5 times it blurs automatica
                                Level 7
                                dj2345 wrote:

> THANKS GUYS
                                >
                                > Stephane you seem to understand my problem.
                                >
                                > I simply understand if you enlarge a n image th pixels become bigger but
                                > helpers out there , just try this one thing.
                                >
                                > Insert an image and drag it using bottom right corner, going smaller and
                                > smaller and then back up to it's original size. You will notice the image is
                                > not as it's original quality !!!

Don't drag it back to its original size. Use Undo instead, and you'll
                                see that the image is returned to its original quality.

--
                                Linda Rathgeber ACE ::: PVII
                                http://www.projectseven.com
                                Fireworks Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/fireworks/
                                CSS Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/css/
                                -----------------------------------------------------------------------
                                Adobe Community Expert - Fireworks
                                -----------------------------------------------------------------------
                                Design Aid Kits: http://www.webdevbiz.com/pwf/index.cfm
                                • 13. Re: When I resize an image 4-5 times it blurs automatica
                                  Level 7
                                  On Sat, 6 May 2006, dj2345 wrote

> I simply understand if you enlarge a n image th pixels become bigger
                                  >but helpers out there , just try this one thing.

I'll say it again. When you enlarge an image pixels do _not_ "get
                                  bigger". Pixels are created using any one of a number of interpolation
                                  algorithms that add pixels that weren't there originally. If you have a
                                  100 x 100 image then there are 10,000 pixels. If the image is enlarged
                                  to 200 x 200 then the image now has 40,000 pixels. The extra 30,000
                                  pixels are created by the algorithm, and derived from what was
                                  originally there.

When the 200 x 200 pixel image is resized back down to 100 x 100 pixels
                                  then the 40,000 pixels are reduced to 10,000 pixels by removing 30,000
                                  pixels, and it won't be the same 30,000 pixels that had been previously
                                  added.

Every time you resize an image you get a completely new image. A
                                  graphics program will store the successive new images in sequence which
                                  is why to get back to your original you use, as Linda said, the Undo
                                  command which tracks back through the stored images.

--
                                  Richard Mason