7 Replies Latest reply on May 5, 2016 5:29 AM by trshaner

Lightroom problems!!! PLZ HELP

carmoppy

Hi, I am a photographer that likes to be organised and recently I bought an SSD for my MacBook and reformatted everything on my original HDD and obviously creating a backup on another HDD. But back to the main point to when I use Lightroom it thinks the JPEGS that I exported from RAW ( I only shoot RAW and not RAW+JPEGS) are a completely seperate file to which previously I just saw the RAW files with the edits so I could see a before and after type of thing but now I see both RAW and JPEG which clutters everything up due to me having around 900+ images. It is stupidly annoying.

So if you have any help it would be amazingly kind of you

MacBook 15" mid-2010 and Lightroom CC (whatever the latest version number is, aha)

Screen Shot 2016-05-04 at 9.04.14 PM.png

RAW next to JPEGS... I want to see just RAW with edits

Screen Shot 2016-05-04 at 9.04.23 PM.png

• 1. Re: Lightroom problems!!! PLZ HELP
          dj_paige Level 9

For existing photos, you can set the filter bar to show you only the RAW and not the JPG

For future photos, you should not be adding the JPGs to the catalog file, there is a box in the export dialog box that allows this, you should uncheck the box.

• 2. Re: Lightroom problems!!! PLZ HELP
            Bob McA Level 1

You can use a Smart Collection to do the filtering:

Smart collection.jpg

• 3. Re: Lightroom problems!!! PLZ HELP
              trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

carmoppy wrote:

when I use Lightroom it thinks the JPEGS that I exported from RAW ( I only shoot RAW and not RAW+JPEGS) are a completely seperate file to which previously I just saw the RAW files with the edits so I could see a before and after type of thing but now I see both RAW and JPEG which clutters everything up due to me having around 900+ images.

RAW next to JPEGS... I want to see just RAW with edits

What is the purpose of creating the JPEG Export files?  If you no longer need them simply delete them! If you will use them in the future you have the option of moving them to a subfolder or stacking them with the original raw file. You can Collapse the stack so only the raw file is visible and then Expand the stack to see and use the JPEG files. When Exporting files use the following settings to automatically stack the output files with the original files:

• 4. Re: Lightroom problems!!! PLZ HELP
                carmoppy Level 1

The purpose of the JPEG exports are for online use through my Facebook page so I like to keep them and the RAW files just in case I need it for some reason. I usually don't see the RAW files there but since I recently formatted my Hard Drive I can which is annoying, so obviously I do need them. They are all organised in folders.

SO...

pictures -> Canon 700D -> *specified years* eg. 2014, 2015 each a folder -> RAW/ Folders (this folder contains all RAW file taken on that year as well as folders for specific uses) and out of that folder is where all my JPEG files are that I have exported from the RAW file in Lightroom 6. My concern is that the RAW files in Lightroom think that the JPEG files are a different file which is not the case, Lightroom for me should just see the RAW file with the JPEG edits so I am able to use the shortcut '\' to get a before and after view (from when I imported the RAW file with no edits to when I finished editing) This shouldn't mean I see the JPEG image also as haven't imported them and I never do for this reason.

• 5. Re: Lightroom problems!!! PLZ HELP
                  carmoppy Level 1

I DON'T add them to the catalog file :/

• 6. Re: Lightroom problems!!! PLZ HELP
                    wobertc Adobe Community Professional

Firstly-

I DON'T add them to the catalog file :/

If you can see the JPGs in the library grid view, then either two things- 1). You have 'Imported'  "add" them into the catalog, or 2). You exported them with the export options set to "add to this catalog". They cannot just 'appear' in the catalog of their own volition.

Secondly-

JPG files that have been exported are treated as separate to the original RAW images because they have been created at a different time and have different metadata. And that could be different file-names, etc. Only the original Out-Of-Camera jpg files that exactly match the RAW files are treated as RAW+JPG by Lightroom.

Thirdly-

The "Before and After" function in LR by using the '\' key is a way of showing the current image as developed with an earlier step in the develop history of the same image, or by using the 'Y' key.  "Before and After" is looking at the one image in different stages of development. It is not a method to compare two separate images. (that would be "Survey mode" 'N' which required both images in the catalog.)

All the posts above have good information about how you can proceed from here. If you do not want to see the JPGs in the library then you could just select them and "Remove" them from the catalog. (*Do NOT 'Delete from Disk' which would delete them entirely from the hard-drive)

• 7. Re: Lightroom problems!!! PLZ HELP
                      trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

carmoppy wrote:

My concern is that the RAW files in Lightroom think that the JPEG files are a different file which is not the case.

LR is a non-destructive editor. Any edits you make to the raw file are contained in the LR Catalog file only. The original raw file is never changed or written to. JPEG files will only appear if you import them from your camera (raw+JPEG camera setting) or if you create them inside LR using the Export module. These JPEG files are in fact totally separate files, which are best kept in the same folder as the original raw files or in a subfolder. If you need to create another JPEG copy with different edits this should be done using the original raw file. The raw files should never be hidden or deleted. They are your most important files and the only files you should be using when creating new JPEG output files for Facebook etc.! You can also choose to Stack the JPEGs with the raw files: How to stack photos in Lightroom

More tutorials here: Lightroom tutorials | Learn how to use Photoshop Lightroom