What version of InDesign (exactly!)? What operating system?
Things to try right away:
(1) Restore your InDesign preferences:
(2) Since you're using CC Library items, go to the CC desktop app (menu bar on Mac, task bar in Windows). Click the "gear" icon > Preferences > General > Sign Out. Choose Sign In with your Adobe ID.
InDesign 220.127.116.11 x64 Build
1) I have done that several times. The problem remains.
2) That does not resolve the issue.
What is odd is that despite telling me the link elements are missing it still displays them within the document, albeit of poor quality (pixelated), but with a cloud with a red dot on it, top left of the link element frame.
It has me, and Adobe support, absolutely stumped.
The path for all of the missing links is:
CC Libraries: <name of CC Library>/<Name of file> (with no extension specified)
So, for example..
CC Libraries: New Project/Artwork 12
The artwork specified is 100% in that library and can even be dragged and dropped into a new document without error and without losing the link.
Relinking the artwork doesn't work, it just throws the error...
"Either the file does not exist, you do not have permission, or the file may be in use."
I've uninstalled, reinstalled, wiped preferences...the lot
Usually I could live with this type of thing and put it down to a corrupt file or whatever but when it's completely non-sensical and unrelated to the document file itself (it is a CC Library issue), plus has the potential to lose me hours and hours of work then it's something I need to get to the bottom of.
Hope you can help.
Did you do everything that Steve Werner recommended?
You might read this article at InDesign Secrets *and* all of the back and forth in the comments. Note that it was written by...Steve Werner.
When you right-click a library item to bring it into InDesign, do you choose "Place Linked" or "Place Copy"?
Some other things to try, and I am really just telling you what I would do to troubleshoot:
1. Delete the item from the library and recreate it and try putting it back into your document.
2. Create a new CC library and put the item(s) in it (in case the library itself is a corrupt file).
3. Create a new library item and put it in your current document and in a new document. See if you get the same behavior.
4. Repeat with a library item you have used. Does it go bad in a new document? Or only the current document?
5. Does your workflow require CC libraries, or can you go back to InDesign Libraries or Snippets?
Let us know what you get from those tests, and it might clarify what is going on.
Thank you for the information.
First of all, I've never right-clicked a library item to bring it into InDesign, I just drag it with the left mouse button depressed.
I'll try the things you suggest but what's most concerning is that this library works with new documents - the library items don't report any errors. So why does it report problems in just one document and display paths which are all correct? I can remove and re-add the items to the library but their properties, and location, will be the same as the items that were there before! confused.com
I've simply admitted defeat on it, have created a brand new document and used the same CC Library. It works....for now. :S
Appreciate the help, thank you.
1 person found this helpful
>>I'll try the things you suggest but what's most concerning is that this library works with new documents - the library items don't report any errors. So why does it report problems in just one document and display paths which are all correct?
Could the problem be in the InDesign document you're moving the library data into?
Try saving that file as an IDML file (to clean it of possible corruption), then reopen it as a new document and try again.
Saving as IDML, then opening it, sorted it. Thank you Steve!
I spent over 2 hours on the phone with Adobe Support yesterday on this matter. They couldn't resolve it. Sigh.
Well, before you said that the CC Library worked in a new file, I was assuming that somehow the library itself was corrupted. But you provided the last piece in the puzzle.
When we're diagnosing problems here on this forum, by far the two things which we recomend the most are (a) restoring InDesign preferences and (b) saving files as IDML to remove corruption.
After going through numerous threads and restarting, signing out, etc etc I did as you suggested. I saved it as an IDML file and it worked! All the missing links were suddenly no longer missing. THANK YOU SO MUCH!
Hey guys, the same thing happened to me... it was after I had left the iMac on over there weekend with the ID file opened. When I got back to work on Monday, I had to shut down the iMac by holding the power button because it was just completely frozen.
I tried a lot of stuff, but what worked was to save as IDML. After this, I was able to relink everything, and then saved it with a new name and it worked fine. However, some stuff have been moved around but that was an easy fix.
Hope this helps.
Thankyou! worked perfectly...