13 Replies Latest reply on May 6, 2016 9:16 PM by ssprengel

How do I open a folder of jpegs in camera raw?

larry4545 Level 1

I just selected a handful of jpegs and did a right click and got a list of open  options with CC 2015, and CS5, but not Camera Raw. I think in the past I used to see camera Raw there.

My goal is just to do a small exposure tweak on a group of jpegs without it increasing the file size or name of the files. Possible? Thanks.

• 1. Re: How do I open a folder of jpegs in camera raw?
          ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You don’t say what app you’re using when you right-click.

In Camera Raw Preferences there are settings near the bottom that are whether or not to open JPGs in ACR.  The options are Always, Disable and With Settings. 

If you set Always then right-click Open from Explorer/Finder or Bridge will open in ACR.

If you set Disable then right-click Open from Explorer/Finder will open directly into PS and Bridge won’t have an ACR option for JPGs.

If you set With Settings then you can Open from Bridge into ACR, or if you’ve already done that once and clicked Done or Open in ACR then when you use Open in Explorer/Finder again, then there’ll be settings and it’ll open again in ACR, but JPGs being opened for the first time in PS will skip ACR and open directly into PS.

• 2. Re: How do I open a folder of jpegs in camera raw?
            larry4545 Level 1

Thanks S,

Does my signature not show below my post? Should say Mac 27"/ ADobe PS CC.

Thanks, I was in the Mac finder, I'm rusty, but yeah, in Bridge it's there. And it will change without losing quality. If you did it manually you would have to select size, 10, and then it becomes bigger. With ACR you don't lose as much?

Also in CS5 you could option mouse click sync, bypassing the box, is that gone now in CC? There is no box anymore to do that?

• 3. Re: How do I open a folder of jpegs in camera raw?

If you want to create a new set of JPGs from a batch of existing JPGs edited in ACR you'd want to save them in a new folder so the original doesn't get overwritten.

It sounds like you might want to open all the JPGs from Bridge into ACR, then do your tweaking, and either use Save Image on them all in ACR, itself, or click Done and use Br / Tools / Photoshop / Image Processor to batch process them.

It isn't possible to make the files the same size as they started out to be since the files are not compressed inside ACR and you have a choice to save the adjusted copy using whatever quality level you want.  If you feel Quality = 10 is closest to the same size then you can use that if being the same size is important and you've experimented enough with different Quality levels to know 10 is the closest in general.  The way ACR encodes the color data may be slightly different than whatever produced the original files so the size might change up or down even if the underlying pixel data is very similar.  In other words, don't worry too much about making the size the same as the originals, just don't make it much smaller.

I'm not sure about bypassing the ACR dialog opening into PS.  The fact you can save out of ACR, now, may make it unnecessary to even open them in PS at all, depending on what other adjustments you're doing, if they need PS.

• 4. Re: How do I open a folder of jpegs in camera raw?
                larry4545 Level 1

Thanks S, If I tweak in ACR and click done then it saves in same folder correct?

How do you do do a save as in another folder?

And for image processor, I would have no idea how to do exposure adjustments there. I've just used imageprocessor in the past to run actions. Are you meaning in IP to create an action? That would be a bit too tedious and slow compare to WSISG in ACR.

In ACR, where do you find a choice for jpeg size, I've never seen that there.

Finally do you know what I'm saying about CS5 ACR, there was an option click to sync all bypassing box?

• 5. Re: How do I open a folder of jpegs in camera raw?

ACR is a non-destructive editor.  If you make adjustments in ACR and click Done, the adjustment recipe is saved into the metadata of the JPGs but the JPG pixels remain the same.  Only after you've saved the JPGs, again, either out of ACR or out of PS will the pixels be different.

You don't want to save over the top of the originals, so you can either save the set with new names in the same folder, or probably better, save with the same names in a folder, a subfolder of the current folder, perhaps.

Image Processor is used after you've made all your adjustments to all the files in ACR and clicked Done to return to Bridge, then with all the raws still selected, Tools / Photoshop / Image Processor.

But now since you can save images directly out of the ACR Plug-in there is less need of the Image Processor.

Here is an example of saving out of ACR hosted in CC using a suffix of _screen because I've resized the image down to the width of my screen:

I'm not seeing a way to bypass the open into ACR on the way into PS for JPGs that have settings, although maybe I haven't tried the correct incantation.

• 6. Re: How do I open a folder of jpegs in camera raw?
                    larry4545 Level 1

"Only after you've saved the JPGs, again, either out of ACR or out of PS will the pixels be different."

But, so if you do this in ACR, make an image adjustment click done in ACR. The jpegs gets its adjustment with no change in size? If true then this is only possible with ACR. Outside of ACR you have to be burdened with the save as box with 1-12 setting right?

Still not clear how to save in ACR, to a new folder.  In image processor it's clear, easy, click to new folder. Where is that in ACR?

Thanks.

Also in Mac, why can't I choose ACR, right from finder? I'm forced to use Bridge?

• 7. Re: How do I open a folder of jpegs in camera raw?

What you have in mind is how a destructive editor works.  PS is one of those.  You open a JPG in PS, make some adjustments, do Save over the top of the original image, this replaces the old image with the new image.  There is only ever one image and it changes appearance when you do a Save and the adjustment history is temporary, only available until you close the document in PS.

ACR is a non-destructive editor.  When you open a JPG, make some adjustments, you are viewing the effect of the adjustments in ACR.  If you click Done then you're saving the adjustment-recipe (the list of all the adjustments you specified) in the JPG header metadata but the pixels, themselves, are not being changed so opening that JPG in another non-Adobe program will show the original image, still.  If you click Save Image then you're creating a new image with the pixels having been changed.  You shouldn't try to save over the top of the original JPG because its pixels plus the adjustment recipe stored in the JPG are used to make the new JPG.

You can save to a new folder in ACR Save Image by changing the Destination specification up to.  It is likely set to Same Folder but you can change it to Different Folder and then you can specify any folder you want.

ACR is a PS plugin, hosted by PS or Bridge.  It is not an independent program that you can select in Finder.

• 8. Re: How do I open a folder of jpegs in camera raw?
                        larry4545 Level 1

Thanks S, great explanation. I just took a peek in ACR, and saw the save save button on bottom right. I have never ever saved with it before. Never even noticed it. I  usually use ACR for Raw, and  just click done and I'm done!

But for jpegs, ACR is the best place to change a lot of jpegs in real time with wyswg. I remember for years you could not even bring jpegs into ACR. So then I'll start using the save for jpegs, and then save to a new folder. Question: after I save to new folder, there is no 1-12 setting correct? What setting then quality is it saved at? And will that new jpeg grow larger as it might by making adjustments in PS.

• 9. Re: How do I open a folder of jpegs in camera raw?

If you do a lot of image editing, especially sets of images, then Lightroom might be easier to work with.  It is kindof Bridge and ACR together with some other modules that do different things.  LR CC should be part of your CC 2015 subscription.

I've highlighted the Quality parameter in Green.  I am not sure what you're asking, exactly.  Normally you just make adjustments to an image in ACR as many times as you want, and then just do a Save when you're finally finished with all the adjustments.  You don't want to be opening the original JPG, making adjustments, using Save Image to make a new copy, then opening that copy in Bridge then ACR and making more adjustments and saving another new copy.  You want to start with the original JPG each time and if you need to have multiple copies with different settings having been made and saving as different dimensions then fine, but don't use a Saved image as the input for more adjustments, just adjust the original, again, differently and save a new copy. 

• 10. Re: How do I open a folder of jpegs in camera raw?
                            larry4545 Level 1

Thanks S. I've had LR since version 1, I love it for web galleries and PDF, but not much else. I'm not a big fan of it's interface in general. But man it's amazing for PDF and web Galleries. Why was LR invented? It seems like a hodgepodge of stuff, I still don't get it.  If Adobe just put those things it does well in PS and Bridge one would never need this 3rd app right?

Your screenshot is LR correct? And I see you can choose a quality setting. That is good actually in instances I may want a full folder copy of existing jpegs in much lower quality to save space.. So just import into LR and then open ACR there, and find the save as... and this box comes up? Have not tested this at all yet (jpegs folders into LR ACR)

Now for Bridge, there is no quality settings on the save as box correct? I don't see it.. So what is Bridge doing, just saving as a 10? And is it non destructive? Do the new saved one have same size as originals? Or do they finally suffer a blow on save even from Bridge or LR?

• 11. Re: How do I open a folder of jpegs in camera raw?

The screenshot I am showing, twice now, is from Save Image in ACR 9.5.1 as you can see by the title-bar at the top left and the Save Image button at the bottom left.

In LR the File / Export has similar settings.

LR is good at handling large numbers of images.  Br/ACR less so because it only works with one folder at a time.  How would you search across all your images for ones with a particular lens or ones with a certain keyword w/o using LR?

• 12. Re: How do I open a folder of jpegs in camera raw?
                                larry4545 Level 1

Thanks got it. The LR export does not have jpegs quality setting as I think of them, 7,8,9, etc, but 60, 70. Do those mean 6,7? etc?