0 Replies Latest reply on May 5, 2016 11:11 AM by Bboldman

Android support for interactive epubs?

Bboldman

I'm a student taking a class on interactivity in InDesign, making interactive PDFs and ePub files and exporting them to Adobe Acrobat, iBooks, or whatever app / program PCs and other devices use to open PDFs and ePub files. 

So I've tried sever different ways with exporting documents to ePub (ePub 2.0 and 3.0) with fixed layout, with interactive buttons and animations and such.  The problem I'm having here is that the files work just fine on desktop readers (like Acrobat) and iBook on both Mac and iOS.  However, every single reader I've tried on the Google Play store is just straight garbage for this type of ePub.  I'm sure they work fine with ebooks in ePub form, but not with these files I've made with buttons, images and animations and such.  They don't display properly by having absolutely giant text, no animations work and no buttons or other elements work.  Sometimes images get separated between pages and stuff. 

If anyone has an idea, I'd love to hear it.  I've tried exporting these files from both my PC at home and the Macs in class, so I don't think it's an issue of compatibility.  I've googled around a lot and from what I've gathered so far is that there's little to no support for this type of ePub on Android like there is on iOS, which I find to be kind of silly considering Android has a larger market share.