5 Replies Latest reply on May 6, 2016 9:22 AM by Str8aero

Duplicate editor presets after 3rd party re-install/upgrade

Str8aero Level 1

Screen Shot 2016-05-05 at 2.52.04 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-05-05 at 2.51.39 PM.png

I have two Macs, both running latest Mac OS and latest Lightroom CC.  This problem has been going on for a long time and happens on both systems.  This happens with all 3rd party editors that install as LR plugins.  I'm thinking something is screwed up in the OS or LR environment on both my systems?

The problem is that every time there is an upgrade to one of those products, or I reinstall, I end up with duplicate entries in the preset list in Preferences for external editors and in the 'Photo - Edit In' menu pull down.  Please look at the attached two screenshots which illustrate the situation with the On1 plugins (I noticed there is also a duplicate for Topaz Glow)

I then have to go into the Preferences and one by one select a duplicate entry, then delete it.  Then do the next one, etc. until I get it cleaned up.  But the next time there is an upgrade/install they show up again.

This happens with On1, Topaz, Nik, etc.

Numerous times I have searched the Internet and tried to find out what is causing this - other people have to be having the same problem?  I have tried going to the third party help desks, but they have not been any help.  Typically they want me to do a complete uninstall and reinstall of their products, but that does not fix it - the duplicates come back after the next upgrade!

Thanks in advance - Rick

• 1. Re: Duplicate editor presets after 3rd party re-install/upgrade
          wobertc Adobe Community Professional

1. DO MANUALLY in FINDER:

If you go to your Presets folder-  (From Preferences / Presets / Show Lightroom Presets Folder)

ScreenShot552.jpg

You will find the folder "Lightroom" and the sub-folder "External Editing" presets where you can delete unwanted presets-

ScreenShot553.jpg

Restart Lightroom.

2. DO WITHIN LIGHTROOM PREFERENCES:

Choose the preset in the- Preferences / External Editing Tab / Select preset ( the one you want to delete from the drop-down menu)

Click on the drop-down menu a second time, then choose- "Delete preset......"

ScreenShot554.jpg

Be aware also that presets can be stored in two locations depending on how you set the preference-

ScreenShot555.jpg

• 2. Re: Duplicate editor presets after 3rd party re-install/upgrade
            Str8aero Level 1

Wobertc - thanks, but I am well aware of how to delete them... I've gotten very good at it! 

The issue is the duplicates keep coming back, every time the vendor pushes an upgrade, or I install an upgrade I end up with duplicates of all their plugins - I'd like to fix it so that quits happening!

• 3. Re: Duplicate editor presets after 3rd party re-install/upgrade
              wobertc Adobe Community Professional
              fix it so that quits happening!

Sorry Rick, I have no answer really. I have experienced the problem also.

Lightroom does not care that the same editor exists more than once, as it is possible to have different options set for the same editor.

It seems that an upgrade for ON1, NIK, etc, must also see differences that allows them to create more than the one preset.

My answer has only to be aware of the Presets folders and do a manual tidy job when needed.

But not a "fix" for you.

• 4. Re: Duplicate editor presets after 3rd party re-install/upgrade
                Alfred Pennyworth Level 4

Do you rename them in LR by any chance. I have found that if I do, I get duplicates after an update, also changing the default settings of the preset sometimes seems to produce the same!

Not sure what else to suggest sorry!

• 5. Re: Duplicate editor presets after 3rd party re-install/upgrade
                  Str8aero Level 1

Thanks Alfred - No I don't rename them, although I do typically change the color depth, resolution, etc.  But all that stuff is there to be changed and tweaked the way you want it.

It is interesting that when new ones (duplicates) appear they always have the default settings - makes it easy to tell which ones to delete.  Also, the best I can tell (I have tested it a couple times) both the new one and the duplicate 'previous' one execute the same program/application in the background - which I guess is what you'd expect... and you'd hope that there is only one version of the actual executable.  That executable is what is getting updated with a new release, but they must also be recreating the plugin (link) in LR each time... you would think it would just replace what is already there?