7 Replies Latest reply on May 8, 2016 4:24 AM by dj_paige

moving trouble

FarmerKrach Level 1

When I try to move pictures from one folder to another, LR tells me the picture is already there, but it is not!  What do I do?

• 1. Re: moving trouble
          Mohit Goyal Adobe Employee (Admin)

Hi FarmerKrach,

Please refer the below article and check the topic "Move Photos to different folder"

How to manage photos within folders in Lightroom

Let us know if that helps.

Regards,

Mohit

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: moving trouble
            dj_paige Level 9

If Lightroom is telling you the file is already there, then the file is already there.

Lightroom is not a file browser, it does not show you all the files in a folder. It only knows about files that have been imported. So, most likely, you (accidentally?) imported the photo into a different folder using the COPY option, now you have a copy in the desired folder (that doesn't show in Lightroom) and there is a copy in the other folder that does show in Lightroom.

If you still want to move the file, you'd have to go into your operating system and delete the file from the "desired" folder. Then in Lightroom, move the photo from the "un-desired" folder to the "desired" folder.

A much better way to organize is to use Lightroom tools such as keywords and other metadata, and then moving photos from here to there becomes unnecessary, you use the keywords and other metadata to find your photos.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: moving trouble
              FarmerKrach Level 1

Mohit, the "manage" site you mentioned did not address the problem.

• 4. Re: moving trouble
                FarmerKrach Level 1

dj, I know what you're saying makes sense and by default I do use the "copy" option when I'm importing photos.  If the pictures really ARE in another folder, I do not see them anywhere in that folder.  Let's say I import a dozen pictures into my yard folder but six of them are people and so I try to highlight and move those six to my people folder.  Well, only 4 will move and my screen tells me that the other two cannot be moved because "they are already in that folder."  And, they are not there, so I have to delete the two pictures from my "all photos" folder and import them again into the correct folder.  Something is screwy!

I've been using LR for two years and successfully moving pictures from folder to folder just like this, but in recent days I've been having this trouble.

• 5. Re: moving trouble
                  dj_paige Level 9

If the pictures really ARE in another folder, I do not see them anywhere in that folder.

Explain in more detail. Are you looking in Lightroom, or are you looking in your operating system?

Something is screwy!

Maybe, show us screen captures of what you see in Lightroom, and also what you see in the folder that you are trying to move the photos into.

I've been using LR for two years and successfully moving pictures from folder to folder just like this, but in recent days I've been having this trouble.

Suggestion: develop a workflow that does not require moving photos from place to place for organizational purposes. Use Lightroom tools such as keywords and other metadata so you can find your photos that way, and eliminate the need for this type of moving photos from here to there.

• 6. Re: moving trouble
                    FarmerKrach Level 1

Yes, I am only looking in my LR folders.  I only have ten LR folders.  So, instead of importing one day's photos into several different folders, I had always before been able to import everything into the folder which had the most pictures and then just move those few others into the different folders.  But now when I do this I get this note:Screen Shot 2016-05-07 at 10.53.57 PM.png

• 7. Re: moving trouble
                      dj_paige Level 9

As I said earlier, looking in Lightroom doesn't tell you the whole story. Lightroom is not a file browser, it doesn't show you all the photos in the folder, it only shows you the photos that are in a folder THAT HAVE BEEN IMPORTED.

So until you look in the folder using your operating system, and show us the screen capture of what your operating system says is actually in the folder, we don't have enought information to proceed.