10 Replies Latest reply on May 16, 2016 7:12 AM by Szalam

About to get the free After Effects 30 trial - basic help making a title screen?

Jason1145

Hello Forum

I'm just a hobbyist user who makes a few video's to publish on Youtube  but I'm looking to increase the professionalism of my video's and it looks like I've found a path to do that but would just like to check a few things first.

I currently use a MacBook Pro with IMovie Maker, I've pretty much exhausted all the special effects, transitions and editing within that programme and then found out about websites where you can download extra video clips, more transitions and overlays to enhance my video's. They also have title clips which is the point of this long winded question.

Great.. I downloaded a lot of these from a site called Video Blocks..... hope it's ok to mention another site here?

However I have got some title clips whereby I need to add my own text into the pre-scripted spaces (" your first text here" - " your second text here" etc) for it to look like a cinematic trailer etc.... but I have been told by that website that these can only be edited using Adobe After Effects.... and this is where I am now.

So... I just found out that Adobe offer a free 30 day trial of their After Effects and am about to sign up for it, will it be a simple affair for me to get to edit these title scenes as I wish?

Sorry if it's a vague question but I am already at the limit of my techy know-how and now this After Effects will be totally new to me, can some one give a basic description of how it would work? ie - Once I've got Adobe After Effects - open it on my MacBook, import my chosen file (title screen thingy) then how would I start editing the pre-scripted text there? -  Do I then need to save it somehow etc?

Ok I've babbled enough I think.

Regards

Jason

• 1. Re: About to get the free After Effects 30 trial - basic help making a title screen?
          Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

After Effects template sites like to pretend that they're easy, but if you've never used AE, it's a bit more difficult than they let on.

You will open the template file, change the text, then render the project for use in your video editing software.

To even do that, you kinda need a basic foundation in how to use After Effects.

I recommend new users start here.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: About to get the free After Effects 30 trial - basic help making a title screen?
            ryant7897800 Level 1

Hey. I agree with Szalam. However, if you are willing to just jump in, check out the Video CoPilot tutorials. VIDEO COPILOT | After Effects Tutorials, Plug-ins and Stock Footage for Post Production Professionals

If you go to some of his early stuff he walks you through it well enough to learn.

• 3. Re: About to get the free After Effects 30 trial - basic help making a title screen?
              Jason1145 Level 1

Thanks Szalam, I'm slowly getting into the basics when I have time. I already figured out how to import my chosen template file into AE.,... that was a little mission lol.

I've found there were sub folders allowing me to edit the text 01, 02, 03 etc... then I got completely stuck how to save my new template.

SO I now need to read up on "rendering" which is new to me. Then I need to earn how to export it as a useable file I can upload into my IMovie.

I'm also finding some Youtube vids which I'll need to study.

• 4. Re: About to get the free After Effects 30 trial - basic help making a title screen?

All of those things are covered in the page I linked you to. I'd be wary of random YouTube videos; I've seen a bunch that are just chock full of bad advice, but you wouldn't know it as a beginner.

• 5. Re: About to get the free After Effects 30 trial - basic help making a title screen?
                  Jason1145 Level 1

Cheers Ryan, this whole AE front page is just new to me is all, am sure I can figure out the basics I need. I only want to edit pre-made title screens is all.... hardly rocket science but I'm no rocket scientist either ;p,

I also need to find out how to play back what I have done and how to cut the length down... my template plays for 30 seconds and I only want it to play for about 10 seconds... where is that darned cut feature?? 'p

I did edit a template and managed to save it to my desktop but I didn't do that "rendering" thing so once on my desktop it wouldn't open... probably because it needs rendering first. That's my next mission to find out how to master :0

• 6. Re: About to get the free After Effects 30 trial - basic help making a title screen?
                    ryant7897800 Level 1

You're welcome, Jason. To preview what you have made you need to do a "Ram Preview". You can do that by either pressing the 0 (zero) key on the number pad of your keyboard, or by pressing the play button in the "preview" window; which should be open by default when you launch Ae.

If you only want to play back for 10-sec in a 30-sec comp you can do one of two things. Put your time marker where you want to stop and press "N" that will end your render time to that spot. Though, it is probably better to go to the menu bar, click "Composition" and then click "Composition Settings", then set your "duration" to 10;00".

To "render" a shot you need to click "Composition" in the menu bar and then click "Add to Render Queue". There you will choose what format to render. Click on the little down arrow to the right of "Output Module". That will give you your choices. H.264 is probably fine for what you want. Then click the comp name which is farther to the right, and save it to where you want it to save.

• 7. Re: About to get the free After Effects 30 trial - basic help making a title screen?
                      Jason1145 Level 1

Sweeeeeet.... lots for me to have a play with this weekend, will try and see if I can find all these tips once I am settled down with a full cuppa coffee Will report back in timely fashion, either a success of I've thrown my MacBook out the window and given up

Thanks again.

• 8. Re: About to get the free After Effects 30 trial - basic help making a title screen?

ryant7897800 wrote:

To preview what you have made you need to do a "Ram Preview". You can do that by either pressing the 0 (zero) key on the number pad of your keyboard, or by pressing the play button in the "preview" window...

I hate to be nit-picky, but the new version of AE no longer has anything called RAM preview. The concept is the same though (caching the preview into RAM) and you can still press those buttons, but you can also press the spacebar and some other button combinations. What happens when those buttons are pressed is all dependent on what settings you have in your preview panel. If you're updated to 13.7.x, you will have a number of handy options (you may need to drag the bottom of the preview panel open to see them all).

The cache before preview option is the one that's closest in behavior to the old RAM preview and you can have that set to go when you press NUM 0 and use spacebar for the regular preview.

Note that the behavior when stopping a preview by pressing spacebar, NUM 0, or any other method can also be set in the panel. For example, I have it set so pressing NUM 0 returns the CTI (current time indicator) to where the preview began whereas pressing spacebar snaps the CTI to wherever the preview time indicator playhead was at the time playback is stopped.

ryant7897800 wrote:

If you only want to play back for 10-sec in a 30-sec comp you can do one of two things. Put your time marker where you want to stop and press "N" that will end your render time to that spot.

This is setting your work area and it may not work to stop your preview depending on what you have set in the preview panel. Again, this is different in the new version from whatever version Ryan is using. For example, you can have your preview set to just be the work area or you can have it set to be the work area extended by where the CTI is, or...well, go look at the preview panel for yourself!

Remember, you want to be on the latest update to use some of these new features. They made some big changes between 13.5 and 13.7.x (of course, the change between 13.2 and earlier versions to 13.5 was HUGE).

ryant7897800 wrote:

H.264 is probably fine for what you want.

Ryan, Jason won't have that option. The AE team removed the ability to render directly to H.264 from current versions of AE. There were a number of reasons for that (some of them quite good reasons too).

Instead, you have two options, you can send your AE composition directly to the Adobe Media Encoder (and you can choose to use H.264 there with a plethora of useful presets like YouTube and Vimeo) or you can render to a production codec or image sequence out of AE and THEN use Premiere or the Adobe Media Encoder to make your deliverable based off of that file (or sequence of files).

In my work, I usually cut my edit in Premiere, use the Import Premiere Pro project command in AE, do my After Effects work, render from AE's render queue, use Premiere to do audio design, and then render my H.264 from there. But that's dependent on the kind of project I'm doing.

• 9. Re: About to get the free After Effects 30 trial - basic help making a title screen?
                          ryant7897800 Level 1

Hey Szalam. I agree with your comments, but I was trying to keep it simple for Jason, who is new to Ae.

• 10. Re: About to get the free After Effects 30 trial - basic help making a title screen?

ryant7897800 wrote:

Hey Szalam. I agree with your comments, but I was trying to keep it simple for Jason, who is new to Ae.

I get that he's new, but that's part of why I made my suggestions. I think it's a good idea to start learning best practices early or you will form bad habits that will hurt down the road.

But another reason I posted is that some of your suggestions simply don't apply to the version of AE that Jason has. He can't simply render as H.264, for example, as that's been removed from the current version.