17 Replies Latest reply on May 7, 2016 3:13 PM by BijouStGuy

Questions about converting to LR CC

BijouStGuy

I am a LR5/CS6 user and have been considering converting to CC since it came out.  I have questions concerning the conversion process.  Specifically:

1.  I use one catalog in LR5.  Can I continue to use that same catalog in LR CC or will I have to create and populate a new catalog?

2. Will my LR5 brushes, presets, camera calibrations, etc. automatically populate to LR CC or will these have to be reloaded?

3. Will my CS6 actions, adjustment presets, application frames, etc. automatically populate to PS CC or will these have to reloaded?

I suppose that broadly my question is: how seamless is the transition to CC?  Thanks in advance for any guidance you can provide including pitfalls you have encountered.

Richard

• 2. Re: Questions about converting to LR CC
          BijouStGuy Level 1

kglad,

Thank you.  So, I'm going to end up with two catalogs -- the existing one for LR5 and the new (copied) one for LR CC.  Is this correct?  If so, do the catalogs automatically sync with each other as changes are made to them?  Also, do you have an answer for my other two questions?  Thanks again for your help.

Richard

• 3. Re: Questions about converting to LR CC
            kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Thank you. So, I'm going to end up with two catalogs -- the existing one for LR5 and the new (copied) one for LR CC. Is this correct?

yes

If so, do the catalogs automatically sync with each other as changes are made to them?

no, one catalog will be for your lr 5 and another for your lr cc

Also, do you have an answer for my other two questions? Thanks again for your help.

you'll need to setup your lr cc preferences etc.  there are shortcuts to do this but for most people it's easier to just set them up de novo the way you want.

• 4. Re: Questions about converting to LR CC
              BijouStGuy Level 1

Okay, I can understand having to setup LR CC preferences.  However, what happens to my LR5 brushes, presets, camera calibrations and thing such as that?  Do all these have to be reinstalled/reloaded into LR CC?

• 5. Re: Questions about converting to LR CC
                BijouStGuy Level 1

Another catalog question comes to mind.  If I will have a catalog for LR5 and a catalog for LR CC what happens if I decide to leave CC and just use LR5?  Will LR5 be able to access the LR CC catalog?  Will changes made in the LR CC catalog be reflected if the photo is opened in LR5 (excepting those adjustments that are only available in CC)?

• 7. Re: Questions about converting to LR CC
                  dj_paige Level 9

BijouStGuy wrote:

Another catalog question comes to mind. If I will have a catalog for LR5 and a catalog for LR CC what happens if I decide to leave CC and just use LR5? Will LR5 be able to access the LR CC catalog? Will changes made in the LR CC catalog be reflected if the photo is opened in LR5 (excepting those adjustments that are only available in CC)?

Lightroom 5 cannot make use of the Lightroom CC catalog.

If you really want to leave LR CC, you could purchase Lightroom 6, which will be able to use the Lightroom CC Catalog.

1 person found this helpful
                  • 8. Re: Questions about converting to LR CC
                    BijouStGuy Level 1

Thank you, dj.  Can you tell me what happens to my LR5 brushes, presets, camera calibrations and things such as that?  Do all these have to be reinstalled/reloaded into LR CC?  What would happen to them if I instead purchased LR6?  Thanks for your help with this.

• 9. Re: Questions about converting to LR CC
                      BijouStGuy Level 1

dj, sorry but another catalog question occurs to me.  If I purchased LR6 instead of LR CC would LR6 be able to use my LR 5 catalog?  If not, would I have to create an entirely new copy of the catalog for LR6?  Thanks again for your help.

• 10. Re: Questions about converting to LR CC
                        dj_paige Level 9

Your presets and brushes and camera calibrations should all transfer when you upgrade the catalog to LR CC.

If you purchase LR 6, that can also upgrade your LR 5 catalog. Note: LR 6 does not have all of the features of LR CC, specifically DeHaze and a few others.

• 11. Re: Questions about converting to LR CC
                          BijouStGuy Level 1

Thank you, dj.  I appreciate your patience.  I think I may have created some confusion by asking multiple questions and so I'd like to clear that up.  With regard to the LR5 catalog, kglad said that if I upgraded to CC a new catalog would have to be created/copied from the LR5 catalog.  Thus, I would have two catalogs running -- one for LR5 and one for CC.  He/she also said that these catalogs were not synced so changes to one would not be copied to the other.  Finally, he/she said that if I decided I did not want to continue with CC that any changes I had made in the CC catalog could not be read in LR5.  So, if instead of CC I purchase LR6 will I still have the same issues regarding the catalog (i.e., two catalogs running that are not synced and incompatibility between LR versions and their catalogs)?

My second issue was with regard to brushes, presets and camera calibrations in the development module.  Will these automatically carryover from LR 5 to the development module in CC?  Will they automatically carryover to the development module in LR6?

Thank you again for your time and patience.  It is greatly appreciated.

• 12. Re: Questions about converting to LR CC
                            dj_paige Level 9

Once you upgrade to LR CC or LR 6, you will have two different catalog files (the LR 5 catalog and the LR CC/LR 6 catalog), but you shouldn't use the LR 5 catalog any more. There's no benefit, just use the newer catalog.

Yes, your brushes and presets and calibrations automatically become part of the new catalog.

• 13. Re: Questions about converting to LR CC
                              BijouStGuy Level 1

Thank you, dj.  I think I understand how the conversion will go.  You have been most helpful and it is greatly appreciated.  At the risk of "overstaying my welcome", can you address issues regarding the conversion from CS6 to PS CC?  Specifically, will my actions, adjustment presets, application frames, etc. automatically populate to PS CC or will these have to reloaded?

• 14. Re: Questions about converting to LR CC
                                dj_paige Level 9

I can't answer questions about Photoshop.

• 15. Re: Questions about converting to LR CC
                                  BijouStGuy Level 1

Thanks again for your help with LR.  It is greatly appreciated.

• 16. Re: Questions about converting to LR CC
                                    trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

BijouStGuy wrote:

At the risk of "overstaying my welcome", can you address issues regarding the conversion from CS6 to PS CC? Specifically, will my actions, adjustment presets, application frames, etc. automatically populate to PS CC or will these have to reloaded?

Please read Start with the  FAQs here in the Photoshop forum. Photoshop General Discussion If you have further questions concerning PS CC post them in that forum for the fastest and best help.

1 person found this helpful
                                    • 17. Re: Questions about converting to LR CC
                                      BijouStGuy Level 1

Thank you, trshaner.  From the link you provided I understand that my actions, adjustment presets, etc. will automatically populate to PS CC.  I also understand from the link that my 3rd party plugins will not and these must be reloaded.  I appreciate your time in answering my questions.