9 Replies Latest reply on May 9, 2016 7:59 AM by dj_paige

Renamed hard drive LR CC

PoetDoc

I set up a backup system to have two backup drives and renamed the drive that all of my pictures are on from "Seagate Backup Plus Drive" (the generic name) to "Seagate Backup 1 - Black". Then I downloaded pictures I took today to it. Now LR can't find the 9,000+ older pictures on this drive because it has been renamed. The older photos are showing up in the library, but all the folders are greyed out.

I have read the forum looking for an answer and none seems to cover my situation. Because LR can't 'see' this newly named drive I can't use previous suggestions such as "Update Folder Location" because the folders are greyed out. When I click "Find Missing Folder" I get a message "The selected folder or one of its subfolders is already in Lightroom. Do you want to combine these folders?" And then it asks me to cancel or "MERGE". I'm a little scared to merge as maybe I will screw something up and be hopelessly lost.

Any suggestions? Thanks for your help.

• 1. Re: Renamed hard drive LR CC
          dj_paige Level 9

When I click "Find Missing Folder" I get a message "The selected folder or one of its subfolders is already in Lightroom. Do you want to combine these folders?" And then it asks me to cancel or "MERGE".

Make a backup copy of your catalog file before you do anything.

Use "Find Missing Folder". Click on Merge.

• 2. Re: Renamed hard drive LR CC
            trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Backup drives should not be imported into LR. What specific drives were you using for the system drive for your original image files and for your backup copies? You should be using menu Library> Update Folder Location' at the topmost folder location (Pictures or drive name) and then locate the "original drive" used for Pictures and NOT the newly designated backup drive. Note that the working drive in LR should not be a backup drive. If unclear please explain in more detail the drives used previously and used now...names, type, and what they are used for.

• 3. Re: Renamed hard drive LR CC
              dj_paige Level 9

Backup drives should not be imported into LR.

While I agree with this statement, we are not discussing importing here. This is a matter of pointing Lightroom to the drive where the photos are, which has been renamed.

Yes, it's not clear if there are actual backups in this scenario or not.

• 4. Re: Renamed hard drive LR CC
                PoetDoc Level 1

Sorry for my imprecise language. All of my pictures are on a separate drive from my computer, which I need to plug in to work with the images in LR or PS. I do not keep any images on my computer because it doesn't have that much space (250GB). I decided that I needed a second copy of all of my pictures on a second separate drive. That is why I renamed the original drive so I could distinguish them from each other (i.e. 'red' and 'black') and not copy the wrong way.

I allow LR to do 'backups' whenever it requests them upon closing the application. I have no idea where those backups are stored.

So my question is still, can I rename an external drive and have LR figure out how to find the images contained on that newly named drive and link them to the images already in LR on my computer, under the new name for the drive?

Thanks all.

• 5. Re: Renamed hard drive LR CC
                  trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

PoetDoc wrote:

Sorry for my imprecise language. All of my pictures are on a separate drive from my computer, which I need to plug in to work with the images in LR or PS. I do not keep any images on my computer because it doesn't have that much space (250GB). I decided that I needed a second copy of all of my pictures on a second separate drive.

For what purpose? If this 2nd drive is a backup drive you should be using separate backup or file synchronization software to keep the two external drives "synchronized."

PoetDoc wrote:

I allow LR to do 'backups' whenever it requests them upon closing the application. I have no idea where those backups are stored.

LR Backups only backup the LR Catalog file....nothing else! You can select the backup folder location as shown below. I suggest choosing a separate folder location on your #1 external drive that is also backed up on drive #2 along with all of your picture folders. Again, the best way to do this is using separate backup or file synchronization software...not Copy & Paste.

PoetDoc wrote:

So my question is still, can I rename an external drive and have LR figure out how to find the images contained on that newly named drive and link them to the images already in LR on my computer, under the new name for the drive?

Yes, but you need to "locate" and "reconnect" the renamed folder from inside LR as has already been explained. This article may be helpful: Reconnecting Missing Folders and Photos in Lightroom CC | | Peachpit

• 6. Re: Renamed hard drive LR CC
                    dj_paige Level 9

And I have already answered that and explained how to do this, in my reply above.

• 7. Re: Renamed hard drive LR CC
                      PoetDoc Level 1

Thank you for helping me to understand a little better about LR backups. I will change how the backups happen and that all the Catalogue info goes with my pictures and that I synch to the second drive, rather than copy and paste. Thanks!

• 8. Re: Renamed hard drive LR CC
                        PoetDoc Level 1

What I decided to do was change the name of the #1 drive back to the original (generic) name, rather than risk losing catalogue information. Then I deleted the images I had taken that day from LR and reimport them to the generically named drive. Thankfully I had not formatted the SD card so I could do it this way.

Lesson: Name your drive what you want it to be before LR ever knows it's there. Never try to rename a drive once LR uses it. Done.

Thanks all for your help.

• 9. Re: Renamed hard drive LR CC
                          dj_paige Level 9

Lesson: Name your drive what you want it to be before LR ever knows it's there. Never try to rename a drive once LR uses it. Done.

Or for anyone else reading along, the Find Missing Folder method will restore everything on the renamed hard drive. It will take you less than 30 seconds.