7 Replies Latest reply on May 8, 2016 5:53 AM by Just Shoot Me

Import using filters

thorseye

I've been traveling for three months. During our trip I continuously backed up photos from my camera to my iPhone (using WiFi). I still kept taking photos with my iPhone as well. All good so far.

Now I'm back home and trying to figure out the best way to import ONE copy of all images into Lightroom. I've already imported the images from the camera's memory cards. I still want to import the images taken with the iPhone though. Here's my problem - the iPhone has got 23 GB worth of images, maybe 90% is duplicates of the ones I already imported from the memory cards. Lightroom does not recognize this as duplicates, unfortunately.

I'm looking for some way to filter out just the images taken with the iPhone in the import dialog. I rather not import 23 GB of data, and then trying to figure out which ones are duplicates myself. I'd be happy to find a way to delete the backup files from my iPhone if there's an easy way to do this. Any help is highly appreciated.

- Jonas

• 1. Re: Import using filters
          dj_paige Level 9

Lightroom, by deafult, should detect the duplicates upon import, and not import them. If it's not detecting the duplicates, perhaps you need to turn on the option under File Handling, check the box next to Don't Import Suspected Duplicates.

• 2. Re: Import using filters
            Jao vdL Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Lightroom is unfortunately exceptionally bad at recognizing duplicates. Even if the files have the same filename, capture date and time it will often not recognize it already has them if you import them from a different source. I am pretty sure this is on purpose to prevent Lightroom from omitting files that only appear to be duplicates. There really is not much you can do about this as you can't filter in the import panel easily.

• 3. Re: Import using filters
              thorseye Level 1

Usually Lightroom catches the duplicates quite good in my opinion. In this case, the images has gotten new names when they were transferred using the Panasonic Lumix app for iPhone. I don't know why Panasonic has done it this way, but I guess that's one of the reasons Lightroom doesn't think it's a duplicate.

The only "sane" way I can think about is to import ALL images from the iPhone as well, tag them with a unique label/keyword, and then using the filter functions in Lightroom, remove all images with the unique label that is not shot with the iPhone. It just feel so bad transferring a lot of GB when it shouldn't be needed...

• 4. Re: Import using filters
                ManiacJoe Adobe Community Professional

I have never been impressed by the way LR scans phones when looking for pictures to import.

I would copy the pictures from the phone to your computer using Mac Finder or Windows Explorer. Then import those images from the hard drive using the "copy" option to get a reasonable final location of the imported images.

• 5. Re: Import using filters
                  dj_paige Level 9

thorseye wrote:

Usually Lightroom catches the duplicates quite good in my opinion. In this case, the images has gotten new names when they were transferred using the Panasonic Lumix app for iPhone. I don't know why Panasonic has done it this way, but I guess that's one of the reasons Lightroom doesn't think it's a duplicate.

The only "sane" way I can think about is to import ALL images from the iPhone as well, tag them with a unique label/keyword, and then using the filter functions in Lightroom, remove all images with the unique label that is not shot with the iPhone. It just feel so bad transferring a lot of GB when it shouldn't be needed...

I agree with Jao, I have seen this bug about not properly detecting duplicates reported many times, and in fact it has happened to me as well.

Here's a thought ... aren't the file names that your Panasonic produces noticeably different than the file names that your iPhone produces? Couldn't you filter on that? In other words, copy everything to your HD, find the duplicates in your operating system by using the file names, move the non-duplicates to a separate folder and then import the non-duplicates.

• 6. Re: Import using filters
                    Jao vdL Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Thanks dj,

I run into this if I import images from a card using my built in card reader and then stick the same card in my usb card reader it will not realize they are the same images. Only difference is which card reader I use. It's not very robust clearly. That said, I'd rather have it import too many than too few.

• 7. Re: Import using filters
                      Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

I don't think it is the Panasonic iPhone App that is renaming the files. I think it is the iPhone itself that does that. Many times I have gotten images sent to me in emails from an iPhone and in every case all the images have the same name, something like image 001.jpg. I then have to rename them when saving each one individually.

IMHO iPhones do funny things with images.

Just how are the Pana images being renamed?