6 Replies Latest reply on May 11, 2016 7:26 AM by JimHess

Why is CC asking for a qualifying product to use Camera Raw plugin when I have a qualifying product?

kristap81884689

Almost every time I use Bridge to select images I'd like to edit in Lightroom (i do this as it's quicker to load and easier to show models on demand and no importing required unlike Lightroom) but it keeps saying that I need a qualifying product to launch Camera Raw... I have paid subscriptions to CC Illustrator, Lightroom, Bridge & Photoshop. Why is this warning coming up and stopping me open when I've paid my damn extortion fee??!!

It's been doing this for the last 2 weeks and it's really annoying me and looks unprofessional that I have to quit the Adobe programs running, launch Photoshop CC (which takes forever mind you) and then launch Bridge, then Lightroom, only then can I quit Photoshop -.- Someone tell me this is stupid insanity!! It never used to do this.  Updating has made no change so I can't see why this update will change this unless others have been having the same issues and have reported it to adobe..

13152688_10209063665365569_1241413017_n.jpg

• 2. Re: Why is CC asking for a qualifying product to use Camera Raw plugin when I have a qualifying product?
          JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

In your Bridge preferences, have you checked this option?

Capture.JPG

But I'm curious to know how long it takes for Photoshop or Lightroom to load. You say that it takes "forever" for Photoshop to load. How long is forever, really? And how long does it take for Lightroom to load. It seems to me that you are going about this backwards. I would be using Lightroom to preview images rather than Bridge. In a normal Lightroom/Photoshop workflow, Bridge isn't even needed.

• 3. Re: Why is CC asking for a qualifying product to use Camera Raw plugin when I have a qualifying product?
            kristap81884689 Level 1

Sorry to seem naive but what has this got to do with Camera Raw not loading in Bridge when I ask it to open the image?

Lightroom can take upwards of 3-4 minutes to load on my brand new 27" Imac with 5k retina, 1TB of space and massive processing speed... It takes longer to load Lightroom than all my Adobe programs, Bridge is ready to use in less than 15 seconds and I'm impatient, just like to my clients and models: time is money.

I prefer not to import massive photoshoots into Lightroom as that can take upwards of 5-10mins to import 1000-2000 images at a time from a wedding or full day of model shooting. I like to cull the herd first, then only import the images I want to edit into Lightroom as this keeps the catalogue smaller and needs less compressing and loads each folder much quicker.

I edit in lightroom, export the edited images as Tiffs or Jpgs for web/model use and keep the RAW files in Lightroom only as long as they are required for second edits or me to have some some with settings later on. Otherwise like some ********* who used my computer, imported the desktop folder into lightroom and since he did that it's been taking ages to process basic editing. For some reason Lightroom wont let me remove this from my catalogue as the folder isn't technically there but if I deselect all impotered folders there's every file in my computer in the library. -.- I use Bridge to control haviong multiple copies of the same image and from people stuffing up and losing all my editing because they move a damn folder and LR has a hissy fit. I lost 8hrs of editing once and I'm not keen to lose anymore. I do what I do because it works for me and I'm autistic and it's just how I work.

But none of that has anything to do with why bridge and photoshop wont load the Camera Raw plugin because of a lack of a qualifying product....especially when sometimes it does this in Photoshop CC......the qualifying product that I paid for. Apparently these forums are just time wasting devices.. I'll call Adobe direct.

• 4. Re: Why is CC asking for a qualifying product to use Camera Raw plugin when I have a qualifying product?
              ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What this message is supposed to mean, and I can’t tell if you’ve actually done this, is:  you need to launch Photoshop and open a raw file using the Camera Raw plug-in, once.  That should provide proof you have a qualifying product. 

The idea is that Bridge could be installed w/o PS being installed, perhaps it was even a separate product at one point, but to use Camera Raw you needed to have Photoshop so opening Photoshop and using Camera Raw with it, once, would be the proof for Camera Raw that you had paid for something.

If you haven’t actually opened a raw file into PS using Camera Raw then do that.  It’s also possible that whatever keeps track of CR having been used with PS has becomes corrupted or isn’t available. 

If you have opened a raw file with PS through CR and it doesn’t work, then I’d suggest uninstalling PS (and Bridge if it doesn’t uninstall with PS) and reinstall then reupdate to whatever the current versions of everything are.

I also see in your screenshot that there are updates available for PS and a couple other products, probably a Camera Raw update, so go ahead and complete those updates and then do the PS / Open raw-file and see if that makes things work, before doing the uninstall/reinstall of PS/Br.

• 5. Re: Why is CC asking for a qualifying product to use Camera Raw plugin when I have a qualifying product?
                kristap81884689 Level 1

I updated the day before... it seems Adobe like to do LOTS of updates almost daily it seems which eat my data and with the uploading and transfer of thousands of images my data goes pretty quick. I update adobe products weekly, not daily, I have updated Lightroom, Bridge and Photoshop since and it hasn't happened yet, but it can be chugging away nicely behaving itself like a good program for weeks then bam, screw you i dun wanna work *crosses arms like a defiant toddler* lol

I have opened raw files in photoshop previous to the error occurring it didn't seem to make any difference.

I'll keep ya'll posted if it happens again despite updates and all the suggestions above.

• 6. Re: Why is CC asking for a qualifying product to use Camera Raw plugin when I have a qualifying product?
                  JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It sounds like camera raw cannot see Photoshop. You might want to consider uninstalling/reinstalling Photoshop.