24 Replies Latest reply on May 14, 2016 6:11 AM by trshaner

Collections shows 0 images

jLorenzo

I've been trying to figure this out for some time now and cannot find anything in google oracle.

I create collections for my photos, some may have as little as 5 images others may have as many as 600 images.

After several months may pass and when I go to those collections they show up as 0 the name of the collection is there, just 0 images.

I'm using LR 6.5 on a Windows 8.1 professional system with plenty of space and memory.

Has anyone run across this before?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Collections shows 0 images
          Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

Have you moved any images around on your hard drives from either inside or outside LR?

• 2. Re: Collections shows 0 images
            trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

jLorenzo wrote:

I create collections for my photos, some may have as little as 5 images others may have as many as 600 images.

After several months may pass and when I go to those collections they show up as 0 the name of the collection is there, just 0 images.

Collections contain a "shortcut" to the original file, but not the actual file itself.The most likely cause is that you've deleted the image files from their original folder location inside LR.

• 3. Re: Collections shows 0 images
              jLorenzo Level 1

No, as I've stated before I've have not moved any files since they were put in the collections. 

Because I have been through this before.  I know not to move any files or folders outside of LR.

• 4. Re: Collections shows 0 images
                johnrellis Most Valuable Participant

If the files had been moved or deleted from disk, their thumbnails would still show up in the collections and they would still contribute to the counts.

• 5. Re: Collections shows 0 images
                  johnrellis Most Valuable Participant

Are the collections regular collections or smart collections?

• 6. Re: Collections shows 0 images
                    jLorenzo Level 1

They are regular collections.

• 7. Re: Collections shows 0 images

jLorenzo wrote:

No, as I've stated before I've have not moved any files since they were put in the collections.

Because I have been through this before. I know not to move any files or folders outside of LR.

Please read my response again, "The most likely cause is that you've deleted the image files from their original folder location inside LR." When you Delete or Remove image files from inside LR they are also "removed" from all Collections. Do you remember what files are supposed to be in any of those now 0 image Collections? If so can you find them in their original folder inside LR's Library module? If not then they have been deleted (in Recycle bin?) or simply removed from LR and are still on your hard drive.

• 8. Re: Collections shows 0 images
                        jLorenzo Level 1

Yes, I'm able to reselect the files and put them back in the collection.

since this is the 2nd time it is the reason I'm asking if anyone has had this happen.

ive not move or deleted the images.

• 9. Re: Collections shows 0 images

Are you using multiple LR Catalogs? Are you sure these aren't Smart Collections? Is there a small gear icon on the Collection folder?

Can you show us a screenshot of the Collections in question? Can you give us some insight as to the criteria for adding files to these different collection folders. I'm fairly certain you're doing something to cause the problem, but grasping at straws to help further. The more details provided the more likely we can figure this out.

• 10. Re: Collections shows 0 images
                            jLorenzo Level 1

No, I'm using a single catalog.

NIO-Collect_err2.JPG

NIO-Collect_err1.JPG

This is a small sample.

The method I use is in the folders I select my images using the numerical way 1-3 for initial selections.

once done, I bring up all selected images greater than 1, select all, then create the collection, sometimes they reside inside a collection set unless its a new model.

at the end once all are in their collection, I go through and cull these further using a color flag method.

This allows me to edit the ones with the highest number 1st and still maintain the initial selection for future work if I need  to.This is why having my collection images is important.  I work from my collections.

All the initial files(raw) are still intact on the drive until I decide to retire them, then I'll move them to the NAS systems using LR.

Or if I need to make space on the 10 TB Raid on my system, I'll use LR to move them to another storage device.

Jon

• 11. Re: Collections shows 0 images

I'm still at a loss to identify the issue other than the obvious one, which is that you accidenetly deleted (i.e. removed) the image files from those collections. The files will still be inside LR since deleting files in a collection simply removes them from the collection.

jLorenzo wrote:

All the initial files(raw) are still intact on the drive until I decide to retire them, then I'll move them to the NAS systems using LR.

Or if I need to make space on the 10 TB Raid on my system, I'll use LR to move them to another storage device.

Jon

Please explain in detail how you are performing the above "move" process. Maybe something here is causing the issue?

• 12. Re: Collections shows 0 images
                                jLorenzo Level 1

In Windows explorer, I'll select the folder and move them to the NAS. Because these are files dating back to 2002-2008. The 2009 folder and later does not figure in the move. I then go to the collections where those older files were and clean this up. Also I'll go to folder in Lightroom and delete the moved files from the catalog as I no longer need them in the current catalog.

• 13. Re: Collections shows 0 images

In an earlier reply you stated you Don't Move files around and now you say you use Windows Explorer to move image files to your NAS.

• 14. Re: Collections shows 0 images
                                    jLorenzo Level 1

That is correct, I don't move the folders that I'm using only the ones that are being retired or archived.  If I moved any of the non archive or retired folder there would be a place marker icon and the count in the collections would be higher than 0.

Such this example:

The collection says there are 4 images, yet when I look into it there are 3 images and 1 missing image.

missing_image.JPG

All I have to do is point this to where the image is and its back in sync (again I do not know why LR does this but it does).

• 15. Re: Collections shows 0 images

jLorenzo wrote:

In Windows explorer, I'll select the folder and move them to the NAS. Because these are files dating back to 2002-2008.

If you "move folders from outside LR using Explorer they will become disconnected from the LR Catalog. You must use 'Update Folder Location' to "reconnect" the moved folders or ALL of your LR work is lost! Yes, you can save metadata to the files, but things like Virtual Copies, Pick Flags, Develop History, and work in other modules are NOT contained in that metadata. Again, please provide much more detail as to what you are trying to do. Sorry, but his makes no sense!

jLorenzo wrote:

I then go to the collections where those older files were and clean this up.

Again, I'm totally confused as to 1) why you are doing this, 2) and why you are using Windows Explorer. What do you mean by "clean this up?" This is the source of your issue and the wrong way to "mange" files and folders that are inside LR.

Files & Folders that are moved, deleted, or renamed from outside LR (i.e. Windows Explorer) are completely disconnected from the LR Catalog. It's OK to do this when moving a large number of folders, but you should reconnect the moved folders. How to find missing photos in Photoshop Lightroom

• 16. Re: Collections shows 0 images
                                        jLorenzo Level 1

Yes, I'm aware if I move files or folders outside of LR they become disconnected, since they are being retired or archived I want them out of the catalog.

I use Windows Explorer because they copy to the NAS much faster then a copy from LR. 

I'm talking about over 700GB of files.

Again I'm only talking about the retired or archived images, not the active ones.

The active ones are handled by LR and if I need to change their current location, I use LR to move them around.

If the case I presented I talking strictly about the active folders and collections, that has nothing to do with the archived or retired images.

I hope that clears things up...

Slightly off-topic

If someone want to tell me a better way of retiring the images or archiving them and moving them out of the active catalog, I'm all ears.

I had thought to create a 2nd catalog and name it archive, but I'm not sure if I ever would look at those images, plus I have jpegs of each image I used.

• 17. Re: Collections shows 0 images

Just move them onto your NAS from inside LR. There is no good reason to remove them from the LR catalog. That is counter productive. If you no longer want them on your computers internal hard drive that is one thing but removing them from the catalog is not recommended. The whole point of LR is to have all images in the catalog file. You have to realize having the images in the catalog file is just a Reference, a Record, in a Database file, IE the Catalog file to where the images are stored on either your internal drive or an externally connected drive like a USB external or a network connected, NAS, drive.

When moved to your NAS the NAS drive name will show up in the list of Folders and you never have to look at those images again unless you want to. But having all images in the catalog allows you to use filters, searches, to access all your images.

• 18. Re: Collections shows 0 images

Having more than one catalog file is again counter productive to how LR works and how 99.9999999% of LR users work.

• 19. Re: Collections shows 0 images
                                              jLorenzo Level 1

You may have a point there, however, I do not want my catalog to become so large that backing it up takes quite a while. So I'll incorporate a second catalog for the retired/archived images that will not be used .

To backup my entire system takes 2 days to complete and that to me is way too long.

I have 15TB on the local system backing up to a 25TB NAS and expansion unit.  This is travelling over a 1Gb network.  I'm looking at teaming so I can increase the speed, but for now it's a single gigabit network.

• 20. Re: Collections shows 0 images

jLorenzo wrote:

You may have a point there, however, I do not want my catalog to become so large that backing it up takes quite a while.

Are you backing up the .lrcat file or a Backup Copy created inside LR, which is a .lrcat.zip file about 1/10 the size!

• 21. Re: Collections shows 0 images
                                                  jLorenzo Level 1

The backup is done by the software on the NAS and therefore it is the actual size (3.8GB).  I do have LR do its backup and that is stored on my Drobo system.

What I do not want is 10+ TB  of files in my catalog, hence why I archive images and move them out of the database other wise my catalog would become too large.

• 22. Re: Collections shows 0 images

It doesn't make much sense to import 10+ TB of image files into LR and then just "remove" them from LR. What exactly are you doing to the files in LR?

You might want to consider using multiple catalogs. Good book on the subject here: http://thedambook.com/multi-catalog-workflow-with-lightroom-5/

Multi-Catalog Workflow with Lightroom 5 - The DAM Book

Lacking that you might be better off using Adobe Bridge to manage these files.

• 23. Re: Collections shows 0 images
                                                      jLorenzo Level 1

I did not say import 10TB, I said I did not want to have a 10TB LR Catalog. This would be if I kept every image in the catalog which is what I want to avoid.  Try reindexing large databases takes forevert to complete.

This is why I export/archive the files or years I no longer need in LR.  It helps t keep the catalog small enough to handle.

• 24. Re: Collections shows 0 images

jLorenzo wrote:

I did not say import 10TB, I said I did not want to have a 10TB LR Catalog. This would be if I kept every image in the catalog which is what I want to avoid. Try reindexing large databases takes forevert to complete.

This is why I export/archive the files or years I no longer need in LR. It helps t keep the catalog small enough to handle.

The best way to "archive" images" is using 'Export as Catalog' from inside LR (not Windows Explorer).

How to create and manage catalogs in Photoshop Lightroom

This will create copies of the original files in LR on the target destination drive and create a new catalog for just those files. You can choose to include LR Previews or NOT include them if you want to keep the archive as small as possible. This will move over all of your work inside LR including Virtual Copies, Collections, Ratings, Keywords, Develop settings, etc. You can "delete" the archived files in the original catalog from inside LR once you've confirmed the copies have been successfully created and the new catalog can be opened in LR. Here's how:

Right-click on the top-level folder at the original location and select 'Properties. Repeat at the top-folder on the archive drive and compare the Size, Size On Disk, # Files, # Folders. They should be IDENTICAL if everything was moved properly: