1 2 3 Previous Next 80 Replies Latest reply on Feb 9, 2018 8:40 AM by douglasm15648453

GTX 1080

garethm69160939 Level 1

Finally a confirmation on this card

GTX 1080 Graphics Card | GeForce

it looks like an absolute beast and not overly expensive - looking forward to trying it. is there any reason why it wont be supported in PR?

Cheers

Gareth

• 1. Re: GTX 1080
          Peru Bob Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I wonder what computer specs will justify using a card that powerful?

• 2. Re: GTX 1080
            JFPhoton Level 3

I am looking forward to what Eric Bowen will have to say about the minimum necessary CPU required to push that 1080 to its potential. I watched the NVidia live stream event and was impressed at the claims of massive performance increases along with energy efficiency.

I am guessing that the flagship Broadwell E will be a good match !! NVidia is touting at least a 30% performance increase over Titan X at far less wattage AND cost !!  They also claim " insane overclockability".  The 9xx series Maxwells did not allow much overclocking.

NVidia claimed a stock clock speed of over 2,000 Mhz and over 5,000Mhz on the memory clock speed for the 1080 !!...all with 8 GB of blazing fast new DDR 5X memory !!

I have to laugh as my not too shabby Asus gaming laptop GPU sports 2GB of plain DDR5 video memory and even overclocked to the max is running at 915 Mhz clock speed and 3,000Mhz on the memory clock speed !!...( stock is 700Mhz and 2,000 Mhz, respectively ).

This new possible CPU and GPU combination on the X99 board is going to be powerful.....no need for multiple graphics cards.

I've seen some benchmarks on the 6950X Broadwell E flagship CPU done with engineering samples and the results indicate a modest performance gain over the 5960X Haswell E flagship CPU of about 10% in multi threaded tasks. Its too bad that the Broadwell E will NOT be offered at a decent price, like NVidia is doing with Pascal. Intel will get an extra $500 for 2 extra cores and a slightly lower clockspeed with overclocking.......only 4.2 to 4.3, so far on the engineering samples. $1,500 for a Broadwell E is going to hurt !

I hope Eric tests this new combination soon ,like he did with Haswell E and posts the results on this forum !!

• 3. Re: GTX 1080
              Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I am hoping that this is not another CUDA limited product like the Maxwell cards are.  Maxwell cards fall back in the memory clock as soon as you run any CUDA application.  Power Consumption is a major goal for nVidia and CUDA took a hit with Maxwell so for all the great specs for Pascal we will have to wait and see on this new GTX 10 series if the samething happens

Also note that you do not get this new great performance memory on the GTX 1070.  The quoted 10 Gbps on the GDDR5X memory is only on the GTX 1080.  The GTX 1070 only has standard GDDR5 7 Gbps memory.  With my GTX 970 rated at 7 Gbps when you run any CUDA application it falls back to 6 Gbps.

• 4. Re: GTX 1080
                garethm69160939 Level 1

I'm running a 5960x overclocked to 4.3GHz running stable (i did have it at 4.5GHz but it didnt like long renders out of PR)

i'm guessing (hoping ) that will be enough to push a GTX1080?

• 5. Re: GTX 1080
                  ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

We will be benchmarking the X99 and other platforms again with the current Adobe CC version when we get the 10 core i7 in for testing. Still waiting for it to arrive. We will definitely be benchmarking the new 1080GTX card as well. Based on what I have seen with the Pascal cards focused on GPU acceleration, the performance increase should be significant if Adobe's GPU acceleration utilizes it completely.

Eric

ADK

• 6. Re: GTX 1080
                    spnsir Level 2

Excited to see your results! Please bump up this post when you have them.

• 7. Re: GTX 1080
                      boby5009530 Level 1

Please let us know when you have benchmark results with the Adobe CC benchmarks suite.

Does anyone know of any Autodesk benchmarks that are out yet?  Or any with any render software?

• 8. Re: GTX 1080
                        garethm69160939 Level 1

i havent seen any benchmarks yet - initally it was due to launch this Friday, hope thats still the case!

• 9. Re: GTX 1080
                          ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

We are still waiting for the 1080GTX cards to arrive in NA. We just got our sample 6950X chips from Intel. The bios updates on the previous rev Asus X99 boards work fine with the chip so far. Currently switched to the new X99 Rev 2 boards to build the benchmarking image. Nice boards so far.

Eric

ADK

• 10. Re: GTX 1080
                            garethm69160939 Level 1

Eric Id be interested to see how they benchmark against the 5960x (which i'm running overclocked at 4.3GHz)

on a side note i'm looking at my storage set up - currently got a mixture of storage (12TB Raid 5, couple of SSD's (480GB) and and intel 750 series 400GB PCI card. i was wondering if i purchased a Samsung 950 pro M.2 drive could I install in in the m.2 slot on my Asus x99-s MB and raid that and the Intel drive together to give me a very fast (robust) media drive for running PPro?

thanks

Gareth

• 11. Re: GTX 1080

RAIDing two entirely different devices is not recommended!

• 12. Re: GTX 1080
                                garethm69160939 Level 1

Hi Bill. Why is that? Is it not the same as RAIDing a couple of SSD's?

thanks

gareth

• 13. Re: GTX 1080

If you have two different vendors there are good chances there are two different controllers and it is a real possibility that certain commands could be handled differently.  I remember back in the days of hard disk drive RAID that manufacturers would suggest that even the firmware in the RAID drive set be made identical

• 14. Re: GTX 1080
                                    garethm69160939 Level 1

So I bit the bullet and ordered the 1080 today! its arriving tomorrow, cant wait to see how it performs. will let you know

Thanks

Gareth

• 15. Re: GTX 1080
                                      filipea13170794 Level 1

I just got my 1080 founders edition and it doesn't work with r3d files, it was working with my gtx 770. This is not good !!!!

1 person found this helpful
                                      • 17. Re: GTX 1080
                                        garethm69160939 Level 1

mine is arriving today - out of interest is it only R3D files you cant preview?

• 18. Re: GTX 1080
                                          Veneman Film Level 1

It works in premiere but not with r3d footage.  Looking for a solution.

• 19. Re: GTX 1080
                                            Veneman Film Level 1

I am having the same issue.

• 20. Re: GTX 1080
                                              spnsir Level 2

You didn't specify, is this with the latest 1080-only driver from NVidia

that was mentioned above?

• 21. Re: GTX 1080
                                                Veneman Film Level 1

As far as I am aware there is only driver 368.25 for the gtx 1080.  Are there others?

• 22. Re: GTX 1080

That is it

• 23. Re: GTX 1080
                                                    nwickliff Level 1

Will the GTX 980TI be cheaper than the new 10xx cards in a month or so?  Those have more CUDA cores than the 10xx right?  If you were upgrading from gtx760 would you go 980 or 1070?  I'm concerned with playback more than rendering.

Dual Xeon 64gig ecc ram PCI-E 1.5 SSD media drive

• 24. Re: GTX 1080

Only time will give us a good answer.  I am waiting on Eric Bowen's testing of the GTX 1080.

While the GTX 1080 might have fewer CUDA cores it could possibly make up the difference with much higher speed memory clock.

• 25. Re: GTX 1080
                                                        GurneyHM Level 1

Hey guys, I have the GTX 1080 and was playing around with it. I have 32GB of ram, and the i7 latest gen Intel processor. The card is really fast, but skipped on video playback during a dissolve pretty severely. I can't get it to play back in real-time. Any pointers? I'm glad to answer questions about how the card is performing. Maybe you guys can help me optimize? Thanks!

• 26. Re: GTX 1080
                                                          nwickliff Level 1

What resolution footage?

which camera and codec?

what bitrate is footage?

What's your media/scratch storage situation?

• 27. Re: GTX 1080
                                                            GurneyHM Level 1

I'll give better answers tomorrow (Just turned in), but I can say:

full res 1920 TGA -> 1080p GoPro footage

bitrate and codec I'll confirm

scratch disc is 60 GB free, but I'll confirm the drive (not SSD)

thanks! More tomorrow!

M

• 28. Re: GTX 1080
                                                              nwickliff Level 1

Need to turn in as well.  I have a feeling it might be you I/O more than your GF card.  Need dedicated SSD scratch disk and or have media on SSD for the smoothest playback.  I'm sure more knowledgeable people will chime in tomorrow.

• 29. Re: GTX 1080
                                                                RjL190365 Level 4

Veneman Film wrote:

It works in premiere but not with r3d footage. Looking for a solution.

It's not the card or GPU per se. It's the driver. I had installed 368.22 in my i3 system with the GTX 960, and it couldn't export the H.264 Blu-ray timeline of the PPBM benchmark, which I knew contained some R3D footage, with MPE set to GPU acceleration. The export attempt simply errored out with "Error compiling movie". I had to roll back to the previous WHQL driver version, 365.19, to export that PPBM timeline.

And since 368.22 is the only WHQL driver that is compatible with the Pascal GPUs, the only workaround for R3D at present for GeForce 1000-series GPUs would be to temporarily switch the MPE renderer from GPU accelerated mode to software-only mode.

• 30. Re: GTX 1080
                                                                  Bisa Goma Level 2

Seriously i3 in this forum.

• 31. Re: GTX 1080
                                                                    Bisa Goma Level 2

Since Adobe Premiere benefits mostly from the Cuda cores I still do not see the need to replace my 780ti and 690. The 1080 will be good for games and little gain form 980ti and maybe 780ti hence the price. I feel there is no need to upgrade unless you run a lesser Cuda card.

• 32. Re: GTX 1080
                                                                      GurneyHM Level 1

OK, Thank you for your response! It makes sense that my media and scratch disks should be SSD. The current disk is an older Western Digital 750GB.

M

• 33. Re: GTX 1080
                                                                        RjL190365 Level 4

I was only testing on that i3 system to determine that there might be a compatibility issue between the R3D decoder in the Adobe software and the 368.22 drivers regardless of the GPU used. I do my main editing work on a previous-generation i7-4790K rig.

• 34. Re: GTX 1080
                                                                          Bisa Goma Level 2

No problem I was just wondering. No problem thanks. I will wait a year before changing cards. There has to be new breed of cards

with minimum of 4000cuda cores to cope with the Ultra HD stuff. This way gamers and editors will be happy. I run a GTX690-3930k

and 2x 780ti-990x and the flow is a joy. So GTX1080 can wait

• 35. Re: GTX 1080

RjL190365 wrote:

And since 368.22 is the only WHQL driver that is compatible with the Pascal GPUs, the only workaround for R3D at present for GeForce 1000-series GPUs would be to temporarily switch the MPE renderer from GPU accelerated mode to software-only mode.

Well since the 26th the latest WHQL driver is 368.25

• 36. Re: GTX 1080
                                                                              nwickliff Level 1

When are we gonna see premiere benches with the new 1080/1070 cards?  Where should I be looking to wait for such benches?  My bottleneck is my gtx760 card and I'm waiting to see if it makes more sense to go with the new 1070 (I know that's not out yet) or the older gtx980 ti since it has more cuda cores.  Rendering is not as important as smooth scrubbing and playback.

• 37. Re: GTX 1080
                                                                                Veneman Film Level 1

I would like to benchmark r3d but it is not working with r3d in adobe premiere at the moment.  I just get black video.

• 38. Re: GTX 1080
                                                                                  RjL190365 Level 4

The 368.25 driver is for the GeForce GTX 1080 only. It cannot be installed on a system with any earlier GeForce GTX series GPU. Thus, the latest driver for the GTX 900-series and older GPUs is still 368.22. Therefore, the 368.25 driver will have the exact same problem with R3D footage as the 368.22 driver.

Therefore, if one has a GTX 1080, and is trying to edit R3D footage, the only fix right now is to temporarily switch the renderer to MPE software-only mode even if that person's system has the 368.25 driver installed. For the 900-series and earlier GPUs, one must roll back the driver from 368.22 to 365.19 in order to edit R3D footage with MPE GPU acceleration enabled.

Hopefully, nVidia will fix that bug very shortly.

Sorry for not making this clear.

• 39. Re: GTX 1080
                                                                                    PCP Robot Level 1

I was wondering if it would handle playback on premiere 4k at 60fps?  Anyone?  Or 8k 60fps? Anyone got any ideas about that?

1 2 3 Previous Next