17 Replies Latest reply on May 11, 2016 10:06 AM by Szalam

Quadro Graphics Cards compatibility

Plutonium66444

I am looking to buy a new graphics card and I'm looking to upgrade to a Quadro Card. Looking at the Quadro K2200 and I am looking to install this with CS6.

Looking at the supported cards I cannot see this particular Quadro card listed. Does this mean that it won't work as it should?

Many of the cards listed seem to be quite old and also hard to get in brand new condition, was looking to buy newer Quadro card.

Thanks

• 1. Re: Quadro Graphics Cards compatibility
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Specifically for Premiere Pro

http://blogs.adobe.com/premiereprotraining/2011/02/cuda-mercury-playback-engine-and-adobe- premiere-pro.html

If your nVidia card has at least 1Gig of video ram, use the nVidia Hack http://forums.adobe.com/thread/629557 - which is a simple entry in a "supported cards" file

• 2. Re: Quadro Graphics Cards compatibility
            Plutonium66444 Level 1

Thanks for the reply John, I think I have done this a while ago. The reason I am looking for a quadro is because my current card is faulty and wanted to upgrade to a quadro card.

• 3. Re: Quadro Graphics Cards compatibility

Do be aware that installing a new card will likely mean you have to repeat the hack

Also, unless you have a 10bit monitor, or the need for any of the other specific Quadro features, the GTX line costs less and gives more performance

Find the "balanced" article in Tweakers Page

• 4. Re: Quadro Graphics Cards compatibility
                Plutonium66444 Level 1

Yeah its quite confusing this as I've had computer shops and Nvidia recommend me a Quadro / Geforce graphics for after effects. I'm not sure of the specific features that made the Quadro better.

I understand that I don't want to unbalance the system but still thought the quadro would be a good upgrade as I don't play games

• 5. Re: Quadro Graphics Cards compatibility
                  Plutonium66444 Level 1

This hack that you referred me to applies to Adobe Premiere, I'd need the hack for After Effects as I don't use Premiere.

• 6. Re: Quadro Graphics Cards compatibility

I don't use AE, so don't know about video card compatibility

• 7. Re: Quadro Graphics Cards compatibility
                      Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Out of the box, the CS6 version of After Effects really only uses the GPU for the ray-traced renderer. I have never used the ray-traced renderer in an actual client work as there are much better tools for making 3d animations out there.

The list of GPU's you're looking at is only in relation to what cards are "approved" for accelerating the ray-traced renderer.

So, unless you have a third-party plugin that uses the GPU, there's no reason to have a GPU for After Effects. And, if you are planning to use third-party plugins that use the GPU, they have nothing to do with the ray-traced renderers requirements so as long as your computer supports the GPU and it's considered a supported card for the third-party effect, you'll be fine.

Basically, I'm saying that that list is pointless unless you're planning to use the ray-traced renderer (which I would recommend against doing).

1 person found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: Quadro Graphics Cards compatibility
                        Plutonium66444 Level 1

Ok thanks for your help John. I had tried this hack a long while ago and again after you suggested. Installed the cuda drivers, visual studio etc with the help of nvidia and for the second time with no joy. It just wont work with my Palit GTX 560 Ti.

Just want to get rid of this card and try something different, thought the Quadro might have solved the problem.

• 9. Re: Quadro Graphics Cards compatibility
                          Plutonium66444 Level 1

Thanks for the reply  Szalam,

So would you say that a newer version can take advantage of the card better? I understand what you are saying by better programs out there for that particular kind of task but still wanted to take advantage of the ray traced rendering to learn.... I don;t know how much practical use I would get out of it though.

I'm still kind of confused by what 'approved' means by after effects.

So do I even need a card at all for AE (Ignoring that I need to display to 2 monitors)? I always thought you needed a graphics card for AE...

• 10. Re: Quadro Graphics Cards compatibility

Plutonium66444 wrote:

So would you say that a newer version can take advantage of the card better?

The current one, not so much. The next version that's going to be released soon will definitely use the GPU more. It actually uses the GPU to accelerate some useful effects.

NVIDIA changed the Optix Library that the ray-traced renderer depended on in the generation of cards with the GTX 9xx series, so some of the newer classes of cards can't even work with the ray-traced renderer in older versions of AE. Some of the newer versions of AE have the updated Optix Library so the newer cards will work to accelerate the ray-traced effect in them.

Plutonium66444 wrote:

but still wanted to take advantage of the ray traced rendering to learn.... I don;t know how much practical use I would get out of it though.

To learn what? I mean, if you want to do it, go for it, but the ray-traced renderer is considered dead/obsolete by the AE team (see this link for proof). It would be learning a pointless tool. As the years march on, knowing how to use the ray-traced renderer will become less and less useful (and it already started out pretty useless).

Plutonium66444 wrote:

I'm still kind of confused by what 'approved' means by after effects.

Approved merely means the AE team tested that card and it works. That's it. You could easily "hack" the supported cards list and add your own card. As long as it was the class of card that would technically support it, it would work even if the AE team hadn't officially approved it. In later versions, the AE team added a simple checkbox in AE to use "unsupported" cards to eliminate the need for that rigmarole.

Plutonium66444 wrote:

So do I even need a card at all for AE (Ignoring that I need to display to 2 monitors)? I always thought you needed a graphics card for AE...

See this page for what AE uses a GPU for. (Spoiler alert: it isn't much.)

Remember, the next version of AE that's going to be released soon (if past years are any indication of release dates, it should be sometime between now and the end of June) DOES use the GPU to accelerate some effects and it can make a big difference. Some (very useful) third-party plugins (like Element 3d, Red Giant Universe, Mettle's ShapeShifter, Zaxwerks 3d Invigorator, etc.) rely on a GPU. So, while you don't need a GPU for After Effects itself (other than the ray-traced poop), you do need it for third-party effects.

If you want to mess with learning to work in basic 3d stuff, Element or 3d Invigorator would be much wiser investment of your time than AE's ray-traced renderer. If you do get the Creative Cloud version of After Effects, you also get Cinema 4D Lite included for free! So you could start to learn some actual 3d software.

And, if you use Premiere Pro, you definitely want a GPU! (I know you may not, but others coming across this thread will. )

• 11. Re: Quadro Graphics Cards compatibility
                              Gutter-Fish Level 4

If you go with GTX, you might want to wait at least until the end of the month as they will be releasing their new Pascal architecture.

Normally I would tell people to save money on a second or third gen' card but these new cards look they are going to be so fast and so cheap that it might be worth it.   They're saying the $400 GTX1070 will be faster than their current TitanX cards.

• 12. Re: Quadro Graphics Cards compatibility

Seriously. Those new cards look amazing.

• 13. Re: Quadro Graphics Cards compatibility
                                  BartonGarrett256 Level 2

Thanks for the tip Gutterfish, that's good to know.

Adobe should be embarrassed about how they deal with graphics cards, it's a significant issue for anyone getting started with Ae/Pr.  They have made the whole process much more confusing than it needs to be, and it's been that way for years. There are cards that appear to be "approved" but are not, and the approved cards are performance wise a complete waste of money. The model numbers are nearly identical.

i made the mistake of buying a K2200 when it first came out.  Other than supporting three monitors its performance is laughable, I ended up buying another card to supplement it. 

• 14. Re: Quadro Graphics Cards compatibility
                                    Plutonium66444 Level 1

The newer versions sound tempting... its a shame I'd need to get the new version just to wok with a card.

That ray-traced renderer considered dead/obsolete by Adobe was quite an interesting read... maybe I won't spend as much time on it..

I understand what you mean by 'approved' although I have tried that hack twice now with my own card and no joy. Its just confusing as I had been struggling looking for one of the old approved cards for CS6 or looking for a newer card that had way higher specs.

Other than an ssd, is there any card or setup that might improve CS6 or is it pretty dead and unless I go for the new one?

(Thanks for all the detail and time you have taken to answer my questions Szalam)

• 15. Re: Quadro Graphics Cards compatibility

Plutonium66444 wrote:

Other than an ssd, is there any card or setup that might improve CS6 or is it pretty dead and unless I go for the new one?

Depends on the RAM and Processor and everything else you have. Getting a higher clock speed on your processor would make most things go faster. Making sure you have at least 4 GB of RAM per core of your processor is good practice. Then it's a matter of managing your memory and multiprocessing settings, cache, etc.

• 16. Re: Quadro Graphics Cards compatibility
                                        Plutonium66444 Level 1

Right now I have an i7 870 @ 2.93GHz with 8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a Geforce GTX 560 Ti card.

I know the SSD should make a massive difference but that will be getting fitted at some point. The graphics card is on its way out so that will need changed... to what I really don't know

• 17. Re: Quadro Graphics Cards compatibility

Plutonium66444 wrote:

. The graphics card is on its way out so that will need changed... to what I really don't know

If you don't plan to use any of the third-party GPU-dependent plugins, AE's ray-traced renderer, or Premiere Pro, it doesn't matter much. If you plan to use any of those things, it matters.

You could probably get a used GTX7xx card for relatively cheap, but when the 10xx series comes out, the GTX9xx cards will likely start popping up on eBay for decent prices too.