2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 27, 2006 8:41 AM by Newsgroup_User

cookies?

Brhaynes75 Level 1
      I have a flash animation on my homepage that i only want to play once, but on subsequent visits, i want only the last frame in my animation to be displayed.

i have tried actionscripting, but people keep mentioning that actionscript (sharedobject specifically) makes it to where the visitor will NEVER see the animation again, after seeing it once. this isn't what i want.

what i need is something that will refresh after a day or so. people have directed me towards cookies.

so, my question is: what is a cookie, and how do i make one?
        • 1. Re: cookies?
          Level 7
          You would write a cookie using server side programming. The code would
          depend on whether you chose to use ASP, Cold Fusion, PHP or whatever. You
          have the option using code to make the cookie expire whenever you wish.

http://www.howstuffworks.com/cookie.htm

--
          Nancy Gill
          Adobe Community Expert
          BLOG: http://www.dmxwishes.com/blog.asp
          Author: Dreamweaver 8 e-book for the DMX Zone
          Co-Author: Dreamweaver MX: Instant Troubleshooter (August, 2003)
          Technical Editor: DMX 2004: The Complete Reference, DMX 2004: A Beginner's
          Guide, Mastering Macromedia Contribute
          Technical Reviewer: Dynamic Dreamweaver MX/DMX: Advanced PHP Web Development

"Brhaynes75" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
          news:e2qnbh$8vk$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          >I have a flash animation on my homepage that i only want to play once, but
          >on
          > subsequent visits, i want only the last frame in my animation to be
          > displayed.
          >
          > i have tried actionscripting, but people keep mentioning that actionscript
          > (sharedobject specifically) makes it to where the visitor will NEVER see
          > the
          > animation again, after seeing it once. this isn't what i want.
          >
          > what i need is something that will refresh after a day or so. people have
          > directed me towards cookies.
          >
          > so, my question is: what is a cookie, and how do i make one?
          >

• 2. Re: cookies?
            Level 7
            Hi there.

With regard to what is a cookie? You might like to take a look at the
            first part of the WA Cookies Toolkit Solution Recipe. This multimedia
            presentation explains what cookies are and how to use them both client
            and server side. We also touch on what session variables are and how
            they differ from cookies.

To view the presentation, please visit the web address shown below and
            click on the link "Solution Recipe"

http://www.webassist.com/home.asp

Regards,
            Mark

----------------------------------
            Mark Fletcher
            WebAssist.com
            ----------------------------------

Brhaynes75 wrote:
            > I have a flash animation on my homepage that i only want to play once, but on
            > subsequent visits, i want only the last frame in my animation to be displayed.
            >
            > i have tried actionscripting, but people keep mentioning that actionscript
            > (sharedobject specifically) makes it to where the visitor will NEVER see the
            > animation again, after seeing it once. this isn't what i want.
            >
            > what i need is something that will refresh after a day or so. people have
            > directed me towards cookies.
            >
            > so, my question is: what is a cookie, and how do i make one?

>