5 Replies Latest reply on May 9, 2016 9:54 AM by trshaner

Lightroom 6 Lens Correction Bug

opentage

Hi All,

I am having issues with the Lens Correction tool in Lightroom 6.

Im running Lightroom 6 on Windows 10 - 1.9Ghz i7 processor, 16gig ram & 2gig GeForce GT 750M/PCIe/SSE2. Affected shots are coming from a Nikon D7000 and Tokina 11-16mm lens

I have noticed recently that using the Lens Correction tab i get weird effects around objects. I have tried turning the individual elements of the lens correction tab on and off (e.g. remove chromatic aberrations on and off) but this makes no difference, the only fix i can find is to turn off the whole tab/section.

As you can imagine this is a pain in the a***. IS there anything obvious im doing wrong? Or anything i can do to keep the lens correction on but without these issues - hard to explain but photos attached.

In both the below youll see the first screenshot has Lens Correction TURNED ON - the second has it turned off

lightroom5.jpglightroom6.png

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Lightroom 6 Lens Correction Bug
          Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

And what happens if you turn that section on and uncheck the Enable Profile Corrections? Do you get a notice at the bottom of that panel that says "Built-in Lens profile applied"?

• 2. Re: Lightroom 6 Lens Correction Bug
            Bob Somrak Level 5

You have your DEFRINGE settlings for AMOUNT  set too high and/or PURPLE/GREEN HUE set wrong/too wide.  Double click the word Defringe to set the sliders back to the default and start over with the settings.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Lightroom 6 Lens Correction Bug
              trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

This may be helpful: New Color Fringe Correction Controls

There are two types of CA- Lateral and Axial. 'Remove Chromatic Aberration' takes care of Lateral CA and for most lenses it effectively removes all CA. Any CA that remains is the Axial type or sensor "blooming." The Defringe tool is very effective, but as you've discovered can sometimes remove color in areas where it shouldn't. The two pictures you posted don't have any visible Axial CA with Lens Corrections turned OFF. To determine the proper Defringe settings for this lens try shooting something like tree branches against the sky and follow the instructions at the above link. For a Zoom lens I suggest shooting with at least three settings (Full Wide, Middle, Full Tele). Here's an example with a Canon 8-15mm Fisheye lens that has both Lateral & Axial CA

For the 13-15mm focal range I use the below settings with Amount 4. For the 8-12mm range I use Amount 2. The point here is that you generally don't need to use high Amount settings to remove all visible CA. 'Remove Chromatic Aberration' should be a part of your 'Default Develop Settings' since it can be left on for virtually any image without causing issues. You can create Develop presets for applying the proper settings for the specific lens and zoom range as required.

The image on the Left is with just 'Remove Chromatic Aberration' checked and the Right image is with Defringe added. The results are remarkable good and no color is removed from other image areas using these "tuned" settings.

Defringe Example.jpg

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Lightroom 6 Lens Correction Bug
                opentage Level 1

Hey All,

Thank you for your help! The purple de-fringing was way too high - strange that unselecting 'remove chromatic aberrations' made no difference, but dropping the 'amount' did - the joy of LR i guess.

Thanks again

• 5. Re: Lightroom 6 Lens Correction Bug
                  trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

opentage wrote:

Hey All,

Thank you for your help! The purple de-fringing was way too high - strange that unselecting 'remove chromatic aberrations' made no difference, but dropping the 'amount' did - the joy of LR i guess.

Thanks again

This is all explained in my reply #3 above.