3 Replies Latest reply on May 8, 2016 9:59 AM by timc72697986

Illustrator layers not showing up in AE... not normal.

timc72697986 Level 1

I have about 20 separate layers in Illustrator, organized properly for animating in After Effects.

When I bring it into after effects, nothing shows up. The layers appear to be invisible. Oh, and all the anchor points for each layer appear to be in the bottom left corner:

Screen Shot 2016-05-07 at 11.29.29 PM.png

If I bring all the layers in as "footage" so it's just one layer in AE, it gives me this:

Screen Shot 2016-05-07 at 11.24.05 PM.png

Seems like a glitch! That is not my drawing. I drew a person on a bike.

• 1. Re: Illustrator layers not showing up in AE... not normal.
          timc72697986 Level 1

I have imported Illustrator layers into AE many times before... so I know how to do it. I'm not sure why this is happening.

• 2. Re: Illustrator layers not showing up in AE... not normal.
            Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Without details and more than just a screenshot of a black comp window we have no idea what could possibly go wrong.

The first thing that comes to mind is that your AE and your AI may not be up to date. The second thing is that you just need to reboot. The last thing that could be the problem is that you did  something unusual in AI that caused the problem.

To diagnose the problem start by importing as merged layers and see what you get. If that does not work then open up the AI file and start by copying 2 or 3 layers to a new document and see what happens there. If that doesn't work just draw a circle and a square on two layers and see if they will import as a comp.

In the future, when you are having problems with a comp or a layer in the comp select the comp in the Project panel so we can see the comp settings. Then select the layer that is giving you problems in the Timeline and press the U key twice to reveal all modified properties for that layer. If there are effects applied try turning them off one at a time. To make sure that something is not wrong with your comp panel try adding a solid to see if that shows up. If you can't figure things out then send us a screenshot of the entire App and give us workflow details. That's the only way to get really good help on a problem that isn't a common rookie mistake.

• 3. Re: Illustrator layers not showing up in AE... not normal.
              timc72697986 Level 1

The issue was simply that I had forgotten to check off "export as pdf compatible file" when I saved. Cheers