1 Reply Latest reply on May 8, 2016 8:10 AM by JimHess

issues importing raw images

MikeSams75

trying to import raw images into LightRoom 5 and keep getting "The file is not recognized by the raw format support in Lightroom. (1)

I have downloaded the DNG converter and have updated Lightroom and still am unable to get them to import. I am using a Nikon D5500.

Am I just missing something simple?

• 1. Re: issues importing raw images
          JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The D5500 requires at least Lightroom 6. There will be no more updates to Lightroom 5, so your only choice is to use the DNG converter. You indicated that you have downloaded the DNG converter. Some people assume that is all that is required. However, you must use the DNG converter, which is a freestanding program, to create DNG copies of your raw files. Here is a short video that will show you how to use the DNG converter. And, incidentally, you need to be using at least DNG converter 9.0. You might as well download and use the most current version.

Camera Raw: How to use Adobe DNG Converter - YouTube

Take note that when using the DNG converter you choose a FOLDER that contains your NEF files. Choose the FOLDER, but don't open the folder in the DNG converter. If you do then you will get the message that there are no files to convert. Of course, you do have the option to upgrade to Lightroom 6 or subscribe to the creative cloud photography plan.