4 Replies Latest reply on May 8, 2016 6:24 PM by conrazon

Lightroom 6

conrazon

I'm new to lightroom and am taking an online course. I created a catalog named catalog1 and imported fotos to it as per course instruction. I also created two folders on desktop, lightroom 6 catalogs and another labeled Freds images. I imported raw files from a SD card and sent them to freds images, where I can see they are now.

When I open LR it shows my HD and two files labeled 2015 and 2016 which are the imported fotos, under them is catalog1. I can see the images on the files and those in catalog1. When I press import LR says it cannot find my images. Should I have created a new catalog to import them to? Can I create one now but also keep them in my folder? If so, how can I do this. Appreciate any help I can get.

PD.. LR6 catalogs folder has backup files, previews, LR setting, etc.

• 1. Re: Lightroom 6
          dj_paige Level 9

When I open LR it shows my HD and two files labeled 2015 and 2016 which are the imported fotos,

First, you mean folders, not files, right?

I can see the images on the files and those in catalog1. When I press import LR says it cannot find my images.

What is the exact message you get from Lightroom? Word-for-word, verbatim?

Should I have created a new catalog to import them to?

If you have one catalog, then I would most definitely NOT advise you to create a second catalog. Keep your life simple, use one catalog.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Lightroom 6
            John Blaustein Level 4

I know you are taking an online course, but you might find Victoria Bampton's free LR book useful:

The Lightroom Queen – Tips, Tutorials & Troubleshooting for Adobe Photoshop Lightro

Free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks

John

• 3. Re: Lightroom 6
              conrazon Level 1

Thank you john, downloaded tutorial, very helpful info.

• 4. Re: Lightroom 6
                conrazon Level 1

dj, let me start over. When I imported a sd card I directed LR to place images in " freddies image folder" on my desktop and it did. I didn't ask LR to use the Lightroom 6 catalog folder that is also on my desktop. When I opened LR its showing two folders under hard drive labeled 2015 and 2016. Under them is a folder label catalog1 which I made when I started course. In this catalog are fotos imported from the course. I aslo have a" LR6 catalogs"  folder on my desktop that contains Backups, LRsettings, previews..

I wanted to import another sd card and a get this message, "The destination folder "user/desktop/freddies image files is not available. Using "pictures"folder instead." And it opens picture folder. It doesn't give me any other option. So I end up having to force quit LR.

I feel that the only option I have is deleting everything and starting over.. hope you can give me insights.  Thank you !!!