2 Replies Latest reply on May 8, 2016 8:52 PM by JimHess

Lightroom 1.4

1jandj1

A few years back, I bought lightroom 1.4.  The previous version of lightroom that had would handle Cannon files but this version would not take my 60D files.  I just moved on and quit using the software but now I figure they have fixed the weakness in the software. 

How do I upgrade Lightroom 1.4 to a version that will take my 60d cannon files?  I don't want the online deal since I live in rural America without broadband so there's no way I can upload all of my photos to the cloud.

I've upgraded to 2.0 but that didn't work.  What version do I need to jump to?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

• 1. Re: Lightroom 1.4
          dj_paige Level 9

You can upgrade to either Lightroom 6 or Lightroom CC 2015. Neither requires you to upload photos to the cloud, both run on your local computer.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Lightroom 1.4
            JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The Canon 60D requires at least Lightroom 3.2. But I suspect it will be difficult for you to find that version for sale anywhere. Adobe doesn't sell older versions. Adobe sells two versions of Lightroom (actually the same version but licensed differently).

Lightroom CC 2015: this is the creative cloud licensed version of Lightroom. The program is downloaded and installed locally on your computer, runs locally on your computer, all images are stored locally on your computer. Updates are released periodically and are downloaded and installed via the Internet. The cost for Lightroom CC is $9.99/month. It also includes the latest version of Photoshop.

Lightroom 6: this is the standalone version of Lightroom. It can be purchased at some retail outlets. Many purchase it directly from Adobe and download it to their computer and install it. Lightroom 6 is installed locally on your computer, runs locally on your computer, all images are stored locally on your computer. Updates that include support for new cameras are released periodically and are downloaded and installed via the Internet. Lightroom 6 does not receive feature updates. The cost to upgrade to Lightroom 6 is $79 US. New features are only added when new major releases are made available. A new major release would be Lightroom 7, which will include new features. Each one of these major updates or upgrades will cost $79. Interim updates, often referred to as dot releases that provide support for new cameras, will be made available at no additional cost.

Your other alternative would be to download and install the free DNG converter from Adobe. This is a program that you can run and create digital negative (DNG) copies of your raw files. Those DNG files can be made compatible with the version of Lightroom that you already have.