8 Replies Latest reply on May 10, 2016 4:40 AM by Laubender Branched from an earlier discussion.

Random pages suddenly going blank in ID CC2014

Greenbean Learning Design

It is happening to me too, Duplicating spreads does not help, the indesign file just crashes. If anyone has a fix for this please help, it keeps happening and I am loosing work, I will probably loose my job if this keeps happening as I am loosing about 7 months worth of work. I dont know why it is happening so I can't even prevent it.

Please help

• 1. Re: Random pages suddenly going blank in ID CC2015
          Laubender Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Hi Greenbeam,

be aware, that the discussion here in this thread is about two totally different bugs.

1. The one, the OP was discussing, is about whole pages or spreads going blank. Not only text frames. Everything that's on a page or a spread. At least it seems so at first sight. In fact all elements are scaled to a "infinity" small size.

2. The other one relies to a redraw error with threaded text frames, that seems to be fixed in CS6.

What is essential here:
          What is your exact version of InDesign and OS?
          What kind of bug do you refer to?

Uwe

• 2. Re: Random pages suddenly going blank in ID CC2015
            Greenbean Learning Design Level 1

Hi There

The problem I seem to be experiencing is the first one

"1. The one, the OP was discussing, is about whole pages or spreads going blank. Not only text frames. Everything that's on a page or a spread. At least it seems so at first sight. In fact all elements are scaled to a "infinity" small size."

It only did it with a few pages at the end of my doucment, the pages were showing up on my "pages" panel but when i went to where they should have been on my main spread the pages were not there, and in some cases the objects on the pages were there but the actual page was not, and on each one there was a black square in the middle of the page that I could not select at all.

Luckily I made a back up of each section of work and was able to find an older version to copy and paste everything back but I am so scared that it happens again.

I am using Adobe InDesign CC 2014 - my adobe updater says it is up to date and my OS is OSX El Capitan 10.11.4

Not sure if there is a permanent fix, in the mean time I will just make back ups of the inDesign file every day and hope that it doesn't do it again.

• 3. Re: Random pages suddenly going blank in ID CC2015
              BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

I've branched this to a new discussion.

• 4. Re: Random pages suddenly going blank in ID CC2014

First off, is CC2014 fully patched? Have you tried CC2015?

• 5. Re: Random pages suddenly going blank in ID CC2015
                  Greenbean Learning Design Level 1

Thank you Bob, yes CC2014 is fully patched, I have just checked it again and it said it last checked for updates today. I haven't tried CC2015 yet. I'm not sure if I can upgrade for free or not, as far as I know my company has the business suite of adobe, do you know where I can check if I can upgrade?

• 6. Re: Random pages suddenly going blank in ID CC2014

It only did it with a few pages at the end of my doucment, the pages were showing up on my "pages" panel but when i went to where they should have been on my main spread the pages were not there, and in some cases the objects on the pages were there but the actual page was not, and on each one there was a black square in the middle of the page that I could not select at all.

Hi,

I still have no complete picture what's going on in your case.

Can you show us some screen captures where the document is showing as an overview with some of the spreads at the end of the document? The active spread should be the one where no items are showing and the Layers panel showing the missing ones.

Do the screen captures and post them with the "Insert Image" tool in the forum software:

AdobeForum-HowToPostScreenCapture.png

If you like and that's still possible without crashing your InDesign version, you could also send me a link to a packaged InDesign document stored on Dropbox (or a smiliar service) by personal message, so I have a chance to inspect the document. I understand, this file might be confidential, so I will not post anything revealing its contents here.

At the same time you could also do a bug report  and provide the link to the InDesign developers here:

Wishform - Adobe InDesign

Uwe

• 7. Re: Random pages suddenly going blank in ID CC2014

They’re not going to fix a bug in CC2014.

CC2015 is included in your subscription.

• 8. Re: Random pages suddenly going blank in ID CC2014

True, Bob.
                        But perhaps we can see the issue with CC 2015 as well…

Though, I do not remember that someone with CC 2015 was posting in this direction.

Uwe