8 Replies Latest reply on May 17, 2016 11:52 PM by DBLjan

Can someone check if these bugs persist in CC?

DBLjan Level 2

Im stuck in my company on CS55 and want to do some advertisment, about how CS55 bugs us.
      2 things to check please:

Fit to frame - Text alligned bottom

If I assign my text to the bottom, and i fit frame to text, the text "jumps" as if its alligned top, shifting the container up. If thats 'intended', i dont get the logic behind.

Bildschirmfoto 2016-05-09 um 16.39.43.png

Bildschirmfoto 2016-05-09 um 16.40.49.png

Bildschirmfoto 2016-05-09 um 16.40.53.png

Next question:

Pictures using clipping-paths / bossed out, can also be Fit to Frame, which works well.

But if this picture is rotated a bit, the fit to frame crops off the picture...Intended?

#Bildschirmfoto 2016-05-09 um 16.59.52.png

• 1. Re: Can sb. check if these bugs persist in CC?
          BarbBinder Adobe Community Professional

Number one is the same, but here's what I'd do: instead of Fit Frame to Text, Double click the top middle handle.

On number two, I used a different image but did get some cropping on the edge of the clipping mask with Fill Frame Proportionately. I did not get it with Fit Content Proportionally. Rotated or not, CS5 or CC 2015, Fill Frame Proportionately can do that when the aspect ratio between frame is contents is dramatically different.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Can sb. check if these bugs persist in CC?
            DBLjan Level 2

Thank you for your testing, but about number two: I also get odd behaviour while "Fit Content Proportionally" with rotated content.

So, I assume InDesign has an issue with fitting with rotated content, seems to be in CC too, thats sad.

Or isnt it? But i dont get the logic…can someone explain what InD does here?

1. JPG with clipping path selected, rotated in frame.

2. Fit Frame to Content crops the content, instead of fitting.

3. is what it SHOULD look like if the frame got fit. Ive done it manually to show.

same for this:

A_top: Frame croppes the unrotated picture. I want to see the whole picture in the frame, so…

B_top: …Fit Content Proportionally does as exspected well.

A_Bottom: Now the picture is rotated and cropped, I still want the whole image uncropped in the frame, so…

B_Bottom: …Fit Content Proportionally doesnt seem to work properly.

C_Bottom: is what it SHOULD look like if the content got fit. Ive done it manually to show.

So, why is 2. and B_Bottom still cropped?

Bildschirmfoto 2016-05-10 um 09.13.34.png

• 3. Re: Can sb. check if these bugs persist in CC?
              Laubender Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Hi Jan,

I can still see the problem with the command "Fit frame to contents" with text frames where the text is aligned to the bottom.

And also the problem with rotated images where a clipping path is applied. I did not test all variations on this, but the following is definitely not working as expected (old bug or limitation of the feature):

1-FrameFitting-PlacedImage-ClippingPath-ImageRotatedInsideContainer.png

2-FrameFitting-PlacedImage-ClippingPath-ImageRotatedInsideContainer.png

3-FrameFitting-PlacedImage-ClippingPath-ImageRotatedInsideContainer.png

Uwe

• 4. Re: Can sb. check if these bugs persist in CC?
                DBLjan Level 2

Uwe, mal wieder vielen Dank!

Aber sollte es dann Adobe nicht peinlich sein solch komisches Verhalten (ja, wenn nicht sogar 'bugs') bis zur Unendlichkeit mit durchzuschleppen?

Sollte ich das ins Bugs-Forum hieven oder lesen hier ein paar Adobe-Köpfe mit? Es ist ja nett, wenn die User sich hier helfen, aber manchmal muss die Hilfe von Adobe kommen…

• 5. Re: Can sb. check if these bugs persist in CC?

Hm. One could write a script for this.

Of course it would not use any of the fit methods available in the DOM (document object model).

It would rely entirely on the path of the applied clipping path and the path of the image holding graphic frame ( that could be well of any shape ). For rectangular graphic frames holding an image this should be relatively easy.

Not so for arbitrary paths of graphic shapes:

Task-FitShapeToShape.png

The two tasks are verbalized a bit sloppy, but this is intentional here.

Uwe

• 6. Re: Can sb. check if these bugs persist in CC?
                    DBLjan Level 2

Thank you Uwe,

InD is powerful in many ways, and is extended far beyond by scripting. I even found a script to play Tetris in InD, but surprisingly Nintendo did a better job on Gameboy 25 years ago. Well, they are the experts for their machine.

But …c'mom: this obvious looks like a overlooked bug, maybe unintended odd behaviour, but I assume Adobe forgot to factor the rotation when modifing the container-boundaries. It is kinda stupid to script a workaround, when *this* is more like Adobe's task and should be about to be fixed. @Adobe: Isnt it?

Since I have not the time on my hands for such a complex task the next few weeks, ill leave this to Adobe. At least they could shine some light about design notes when it comes to Fit(Frame)To(rotated)Content

• 7. Re: Can someone check if these bugs persist in CC?

Hello Jan,

I experimented a lot now with applied clipping paths.

Issue #1

Place an image with an applied clipping path

1. By clicking the placegun

=> clipping path will fit the container frame

2. By dragging a frame with the placegun

=> clipping path will not fit the container frame, if the clipping path exceeds the image

PlaceByClicking-vs-PlaceByDragging.png

Let's inspect the placed image where the clipping path does not fit the container frame.

Selected image bounds in its container frame:

PlacedByDragging-ShowingImageBounds.png

Hover with the Direct Selection Tool over the applied clipping path:

PlacedByDragging-ShowingClippingPath.png

Obviously InDesign is trying to get the bounds of the whole clipping path, if you are placing with dragging out a frame from the placegun. But even that is not accurate as the screen capture above is clearly showing.

And yes, I agree. All this should be fixed.

Uwe

//EDIT

• 8. Re: Can someone check if these bugs persist in CC?
                        DBLjan Level 2

Thank you for your extensive testing, maybe someone gets embarresst enough to sit down and code a fix soon.

Also I heared about Mickey/Walt Disney beeing evil