8 Replies Latest reply on May 11, 2016 10:36 PM by johnrellis

Leica S-E (006) what is the minimum LR/Camera Raw version required?

andreas_ZG

Dear all

What is the minimum version of Adobe Lightroom and Camera Raw for the Leica S-E (006) ? The Adobe Website does not display the S-E (006) separately, only Leica S2 and Leica S (007); does the entry for Leica S2 Lightroom 3.2 und Camera Raw 6.2 also apply to the S-E (006)?

see https://helpx.adobe.com/de/camera-raw/kb/camera-raw-plug-supported-cameras.html

I work with Adobe Lightroom 4.4 and Camera Raw 7.4. I cannot do an upgrade to a higher LR version because it will not work with Apple OS 10.6. And I need to stick to OS 10.6 as otherwise my Nikon Film-scanner will not work any more.

Can somebody confirm that RAW files of the S-E (006) will be displayed under Lightroom 4.4 and Camera Raw 7.4 ?

Thank you very much!

Kind regards

andreas_ZG

• 1. Re: Leica S-E (006) what is the minimum LR/Camera Raw version required?
          Mohit Goyal Adobe Employee (Admin)

Hi andreas_zg,

No, its not support with the Lightroom version you have, however you can use DNG converter to convert all these raw images to DNG and use it with the existing version of Lightroom you have.

Refer the download for DNG Converter 9.5.1

Adobe - Adobe Camera Raw and DNG Converter : For Macintosh : Adobe DNG Converter 9.5.1

Regards,

Mohit

• 2. Re: Leica S-E (006) what is the minimum LR/Camera Raw version required?
            andreas_ZG Level 1

Dear Mohit

Thank you for your rapid response and for refering to DNG Converter. I checked the website and it says that DNG converter 9.5.1 requires Mac OS X 10.7-10.11 However, I still work with Mac OS X 10.6 because otherwise my Nikon Film-Scanners will not work. Is there a DNG converter that contains Leica S-E (006) and works with OS X 10.6?

Kind regards

andreas_ZG

• 3. Re: Leica S-E (006) what is the minimum LR/Camera Raw version required?
              johnrellis Most Valuable Participant

According to this post and this post, the S-E is just a rebadged S (typ 006), which was first supported in LR 4.2. The Leica downloads page provides a single manual for the S (type 006) and S-E.  The manual says that Lightroom is available as a free download with the camera.  I don't know why the table of supported cameras doesn't list the S (typ 006). Most likely it's a mistake, since the S (typ 006) is listed in the tethered support table.  According to this article, the S-E (typ 006) comes bundled with Lightroom.

So it sure looks like LR 4.2 and later support the S-E.

• 4. Re: Leica S-E (006) what is the minimum LR/Camera Raw version required?
                andreas_ZG Level 1

Dear johnrellis

Thank you. This is what I hope for. But I have yet to find somebody who can confirm Lightroom 4.4 can read Leica S-E (006) RAW files.

The tethered support table lists the 006 with Lightroom 5. However, I don't know whether this relates to the tethering function only or also to converting Leics S-E (006) files.

Kind regards

Andreas

• 5. Re: Leica S-E (006) what is the minimum LR/Camera Raw version required?
                  The tethered support table lists the 006 with Lightroom 5. However, I don't know whether this relates to the tethering function only or also to converting Leics S-E (006) files.

The tethered support table just lists cameras that LR knows how to tether. However, a camera won't be listed in that table unless LR also supports the camera's raw format.

While it's pretty clear from the various evidence that LR 4.4 does support the S-E's raw, I agree that it would be a little better to get confirmation from someone who actually has an S-E and used it with LR 4.4.  Given that LR 4.4 was released three years ago, that may be unlikely in this forum.  You might try in other forums, e.g. the Leica Forum or DP Review.

Also, given the cost of an S-E, it might make more sense to invest in a solution that lets you run the latest raw software (e.g. LR 6).   There have been many improvements in LR's develop since LR 4.4 that would help you get the most out of a high-end camera.

A couple of possibilities:

- Buy an inexpensive used Mac mini for 4% of the cost of an S-E to run OS X 10.6 for your Nikon scanners, and run LR 6 on your main computer running OS X 10.11.  Have the scanners place their output on a shared network volume hosted on your main computer.

- Use scanning software such as Silverfast (2% of the cost of an S-E) on OS X 10.11 to run your scanners.  (I run Silverfast on OS X 10.11 with a Nikon Coolscan 5000.)

• 6. Re: Leica S-E (006) what is the minimum LR/Camera Raw version required?

And this page has several sample DNGs from the S-E, so you can download them and try for yourself: Leica S-E (Typ 006) - Jip van Kuijk

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Leica S-E (006) what is the minimum LR/Camera Raw version required?
                      andreas_ZG Level 1

Dear John

thank you very much. This is very kind and helpful. Indeed you are right, compared to the cost of an S the cost of a used Mac is marginal. However, I love my iMac 27 (5 years old with 16 GB RAM and 1 TB SSD and 2 TB HD running with OS X 10.6). It is upgraded with everything that is available and is running well. Therefore, I extent the tenure of this machine as far as possible. I know that some day I have to get a new computer (maybe the new iMac with the extra high solution screen) then I will use the old iMac for my Nikon and Epson scanners and the old Nikon software. I like the Nikon software as it is conveniend. Have once tried Vuescan and Silverfast but was not so convinced. I was used to the Nikon and Epson software and refrained from the other software as it appeared not very user friendly to me. However, perhaps I have to given another try some day.

In the meantime I contacted Wetzlar and they wrote me that the DNG files from any M and any S can be read from any LR version. Which made me surprised: why does Adobe publish these websides where it says what camera needs what LR version and RAW converter when the DNGs can be read by any LR version?

And indeed I found original Leica S (006) DNG files on the internet and they can be read in Lightroom 4.4 – so the final proof was done. The exif data say Leica S (006) (obviously it does not exif another name for the S-E, it's identical; whereas the original S is indeed different) and the lense profiles and everything seem to work on LR 4.4.

Thank you for poiting to the van Kuijk files. I also found very nice DNG files at

http://www.reddotforum.com/forums/topic/leica-s-australian-workshop-w-100mm-f2-0/

That links you to a dropbox with original Leica S (006) files where different lenses were used. Whereas the van Kuijk files are not very special and do not demonstrate the capability of the Leica S, the australian workshop files are simply mind blowing. When I compare these to my M240 DNG files there is really a significant difference. So this makes me seriously consider an S-E...

Kind regards

Andreas

• 8. Re: Leica S-E (006) what is the minimum LR/Camera Raw version required?
                        why does Adobe publish these websides where it says what camera needs what LR version and RAW converter when the DNGs can be read by any LR version?

Good question, I don't know.

But glad you got your basic question answered.