14 Replies Latest reply on May 10, 2016 1:21 PM by thedigitaldog

Export from LR CC, limited output dimensions and dpi

Dave_Mallows Level 1

I have been trying to output a file to 400cm Long edge at 200dpi for a wallpaper print, Lightroom will not let me put 200dpi in the resolution box, it is highlighted in red and then flashes a warning that a value between 1-63dpi is the only selectable option.

I have done this in previous versions, has anyone else encountered this or have a work around?

• 1. Re: Export from LR CC, limited output dimensions and dpi
          Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

The image you are working with is to small, # of Pixels total.

Work around is to start with a larger image.

• 2. Re: Export from LR CC, limited output dimensions and dpi
            Dave_Mallows Level 1

The file in question is from a 1DX, I have output these to this size previously. I have also tried it with a file from a Hasselblad H4D and a Phase One P45+ which is are both much larger files but yield the same warning with the same limited dpi of 63. So I'm not sure that is the answer.

• 3. Re: Export from LR CC, limited output dimensions and dpi
              ManiacJoe Adobe Community Professional

My recommendation would be to just do the math and output the pixels "dimension" needed, ignoring the export resolution.

400 cm * 80 ppcm = 32000 pixels

PPI = pixels per inch

PPCM = pixels per cm

There is the possibility that your image does not have enough native pixels to scale up to the size you want. How many pixels do you have to start with?

• 4. Re: Export from LR CC, limited output dimensions and dpi
                Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

In the Library module select the actual image you are trying to export with those settings and look at the Pixel dimensions, Metadata panel. Does it have enough pixels to export at the size and DPI count you are trying to use?

Do you have the option to "Limit File Size To:" checked? Or if you have "Resize to Fit:" checked do you also have "Don't Enlarge" checked.

Please post a screen shot of the export dialog window, showing the whole window.

Export Window complete.PNG

• 6. Re: Export from LR CC, limited output dimensions and dpi
                  trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

This is clearly a bug when using cm with Long Edge Resize to Fit with pixels per inch for Resolution. You can report this issue here as a 'Problem:' Photoshop Family Customer Community

It appears using both Long Edge and Resolution in cm OR Long Edge with Resolution in inches works properly:

EDIT: Sorry it looks like the above is NOT working properly! It should be creating a 31,560 pixels Long Edge, but I'm getting 28,377.

• 7. Re: Export from LR CC, limited output dimensions and dpi
                    Jao vdL Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I am not sure this is a bug. 400cm at 200 ppi is 31,496 pixels, so it should still work seeing how this is the long side if you just look at the 64kpixels on each side limit. However, what is the dimension of the short side? Lightroom supports files unto 512 megapixels. If this file is a 6x4 file from a 1Dx, you get 31,496x20,997 pixels or 661 megapixels. If it is from a medium format sensor with 5x4 ratio, you get 794 megapixels! Both can not be output by Lightroom.

• 8. Re: Export from LR CC, limited output dimensions and dpi

There is clearly a bug in the interface with the pixels per inch when you have centimeters in the other box though. It is completely inconsistent.

• 9. Re: Export from LR CC, limited output dimensions and dpi

Jao vdL wrote:

I am not sure this is a bug. 400cm at 200 ppi is 31,496 pixels, so it should still work seeing how this is the long side if you just look at the 64kpixels on each side limit.

I get the same error message using a 21Mp Canon 5D MKII raw file. Using 400cm Long Edge and Resolution 79 pixels per cm (~200 ppi) works. But the 28,377x18,918 dimensions are smaller than expected and yet the >512Mp limit (536.8 Mp actual).

I created a file using 'Edit in PS' and Image Sizing with 400cm Long Edge and Resolution 70 pixels per cm (31,600 x 21,067 = 665.7 Mp) and get the below messages. It looks like the largest image size supported in LR is 536.8 Megapixels. Above this point it also triggers the below message inside PS. The file is usable in PS, but not LR.

• 10. Re: Export from LR CC, limited output dimensions and dpi
                          thedigitaldog MVP & Adobe Community Professional

IF one attempts to create a document in Photoshop that follows this example (more or less), PS pops this dialog:

PSdialog.jpg

I suspect LR is providing this as protection to any document that's wider than 30K in size? IF so, not a bug. But not a very clear explanation either.

NOW if LR supported PSB....

• 11. Re: Export from LR CC, limited output dimensions and dpi
                            Dave_Mallows Level 1

It does not work properly from Camera Raw either, if you set the workflow options to 400cm / 200ppi it outputs the file to 360.39cm @ 200ppi.

I have reported it as a bug to Adobe who will investigate.

• 12. Re: Export from LR CC, limited output dimensions and dpi

I created a file using 'Edit in PS' and Image Sizing with 400cm Long Edge and Resolution 70 pixels per cm (31,600 x 21,067 = 665.7 Mp) and get the below messages. It looks like the largest image size supported in LR is 536.8 Megapixels. Above this point it also triggers the below message inside PS. The file is usable in PS, but not LR.

Yeah I vaguely remember Eric Chan noting that the limit was slightly larger than the 512 MP that is given on the Adobe website. 536.8 MP sounds right. Bottomline is simply that Lightroom and Camera Raw can't support anything larger at the moment and that likely it automatically stays below this limit when exporting. I remember hearing that this limit was quite deeply embedded in the code and that they needed to do a thorough rewrite at the lowest level of the rendering code to get around this and that this was needed before they could start thinking about psb support.

• 13. Re: Export from LR CC, limited output dimensions and dpi

Dave_Mallows wrote:

It does not work properly from Camera Raw either, if you set the workflow options to 400cm / 200ppi it outputs the file to 360.39cm @ 200ppi.

I have reported it as a bug to Adobe who will investigate.

That is the 536.8 Megapixels Image Size limit I mentioned in reply #9. There are two limits that constrain the Export Document Size:

1) 65,000 pixels maximum Side Dimension

2) 536.8 Megapixels maximum Document Size

This is apparently by design and not a bug.

The bug occurs in LR when using "mixed" inch and cm dimensions in the Image Sizing panel, which incorrectly constrains the image size. For the above example the Document Size is constrained to 65.6 Megapixels–not 536.8 Mp. When using in/in or cm/cm dimensions that will create an image file larger than 536.8 Mp no warning is provided that the settings are invalid. The file is "silently" created with smaller constrained dimensions.

• 14. Re: Export from LR CC, limited output dimensions and dpi
                                  thedigitaldog MVP & Adobe Community Professional

I agree, it's not a bug. It's a very, very poorly implemented message to the user which is far more clearly expressed in Photoshop as I provided. Now check the "Don't show again" check box, not as clear.