2 Replies Latest reply on May 11, 2016 9:30 AM by ECBowen

Looking for computer specs that can run after effects / adobe products well

iUtopia

I am looking for help on getting some good specs on a machine that can run Adobe product without issues.

Right now I'm on a mid range Dell and am having a lot of problems with after effects locking up, as well as photoshop.

What would be a good machine and processor to get so that I can run these programs and not spend half my time waiting on my machine?

Thanks,

• 1. Re: Looking for computer specs that can run after effects / adobe products well
          Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

AE shouldn't "lock up" if you have specs that meet the system requirements, so there may be other issues with your system. I would recommend backing up your data and starting with a fresh Windows install before putting a ton of money into a new system. Also, while we're at it, it may be possible to add a few things to your computer to bump it up to reasonable performance for very little money.

What are the actual specs of your machine? "Mid range Dell" could mean many different things depending on what Dell product line you're looking at!

Just based on the information in your post, I'd suggest pulling out your hard drive and putting a couple of SSD's in your machine (one for your OS and programs and one for AE's scratch discs). That way you get a fresh install of Windows, fresh install of your software, and you don't overwrite your old data.

• 2. Re: Looking for computer specs that can run after effects / adobe products well
            ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

Ideally you want an X99 workstation with either the current 5960X 8 core i7 or the soon to release 10 core 6950X chip with 64GB of ram or more and a 1080 GTX card. Those would be the primary specs to start with ideally depending on your budget.

Eric

ADK