9 Replies Latest reply on May 13, 2016 8:04 AM by ECBowen

30 bit color display from GeForce® GTX 760?

Ze_Povinho Level 1

Hello! I searched a lot but couldn't find a clear answer. Is it possible to output 10bit color  (10 bit per channel)from an ASUS GeForce® GTX 760 DirectCU II ?

or do I need a Nvidia Quadro for that?

Thanks in advance!

• 1. Re: 30 bit color display from GeForce® GTX 760?
          Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

None of the GeForce cards have 10-bit output.  The Quadro cards do. 

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: 30 bit color display from GeForce® GTX 760?
            Ze_Povinho Level 1

Hello Bill, thanks for the response!

What about rendering? I mean, can it process the video internally like when editing and exporting and work the image at 10bit per channel?

Cheers

• 3. Re: 30 bit color display from GeForce® GTX 760?
              ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

Actually yes the Geforce cards can output 10bit color via HDMi and displayport. However they only support that with applications that use Direct x for the API. Quadro's support 10bit color via Open GL. Adobe uses Open GL so you would need a Quadro card for 10 bit with Adobe with the video cards. However you can get a I/O card like a Blackmagic card or Aja card and get 10bit color preview that way which is what I would suggest since those a raw output from the application and the color space is not effected by the OS or video driver.

Eric

ADK

• 4. Re: 30 bit color display from GeForce® GTX 760?
                Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I was hoping Eric would come along and help me out---

Thanks

• 5. Re: 30 bit color display from GeForce® GTX 760?
                  naumen Level 1

I/O cards are not necessary a way out ... there is a huge issue using them. they are ok only if u use a proper Production monitors like flanders that coasts a few grands...

consumer "10bit" monitors with several connections - not all of these connections will be 10bit . and when u get SDI out with i/o card - to convert it to the connection u need will be a serious pain in ***. and will coast serious $$. also what resolution in 10 bit it supports.... and if its supports the resolution u need in 10bit. to be honest i ve been there and there is no clear info provided by BM for example, and its forum is full of discussions about if its so or if it so....and  believe hdmi there is not 10bit

99.9% of consumer monitors that say 10 bit, are not 10 bit - its just a market trick when they say its 10bit. in best case scenario u get 8 bit panel with 10bit processing, but even so its not same as true production panel...

Conclusion i came to - want 10 bit, get Production monitor with SDI, and better with 3G SDI, and if u dont have funds for it, dont even bother about the rest. keep in mind production monitor will be calibrated for you for free in most cases - u just pay for shipping.

the only affordable option i know of - Flanders monitors. cheapest 10bit panel was there 3.5k...

• 6. Re: 30 bit color display from GeForce® GTX 760?

Actually you do not require Flanders monitors ie Pro monitors that are firmware programmable/updatable, factory calibrated and have SDI input options. Many use other displays that are factory calibrated with the most commonly used Color Space profiles and are more than accurate enough. Keep in mind the factories will have access to Spectrometers to calibrate these where as users and editors likely may not or will only have colorimeters as an option. The LG 31 Inch DCI monitor is a very good monitor for the price. Many use TV's which are more difficult to calibrate because of their auto adjustment features built into the firmware for color. However many deliveries don't have different requirements for color space and accuracy where TV's wont work. All of this means the workflow really decides the requirements for grading and preview/display more than the I/O card. Either way the I/O card is the ideal solution for grading because it's far more difficult to calibrate of the Video card since the OS and the video driver has to be calibrated with a colorimeter and software for example than using an I/O card which bypasses the OS and video driver color space.

Eric

ADK

• 7. Re: 30 bit color display from GeForce® GTX 760?
                      naumen Level 1

thats exactly what i meant, u do need an i/o card, just maybe not the cheapest one available at BM. something a little more expansive...

and when u start converting the outputs , its in my opinion is not a very good idea. better use sdi outs and its better to have sdi in inside your monitor, with out any conversions, that was my point.

but yes i/o card is the only way to go....

would not go with consumer monitor, for the reasons that i already complained. Also production monitor is a better investment... prices on them are not going down much, it holds its value. also u can always make an extra $ renting it out... and or if u film your self as well u can use it on set....

also your os should be 10 bit compatible .... win 7 and up are, new apple os is , but not older i believe

• 8. Re: 30 bit color display from GeForce® GTX 760?
                        Ze_Povinho Level 1

Thanks Newman and Eric! that was helpfull. As a freelance most of the times I do the entire work process (filming, editing and gradding). Most of the times I work with 8 bit footage. But there are times when I have 10 bit footage. Besides, and correct me if I am wrong, when doing color correction and gradding it's wise to work in a 10 bit environment even if your monitor only displays 8bit per channel. I believe that when you apply effects (32bit) even if the original footage is 8 bit, the colors may enter in the 10bit area due to the applied effect, depending on the effect that is used.
                        I usually check the "Render at maximum depth" checkbox when exporting footage that was color graded in premiere. And if I do the gradding in AE, then I work in a 32 bit floating point composition, even if the footage is 8 bit.

What I am looking for is a solution to output 10 bit to a 10 bit display so I can have a better reference and control over the colors when gradding. Blackmagic decklink mini monitor looks as a possible solution once it allows:

• SDI and HDMI Outputs
                        • Outputs Uncompressed 10-Bit Video
                        • 4:2:2 Video Sampling

I was also considering a 10 bit monitor such as the asus PA249Q.

This way I could keep my current GPU GTX760 and have, through the Blackmagic decklink mini monitor a 10 bit color monitor to be used for color gradding.

I if this works fine, I will be able to do a more "professional gradding" and probably achieve better results. this by spending about 500 to 600 USD.
                        What do you think?

• 9. Re: 30 bit color display from GeForce® GTX 760?

Yes processing is different than preview so having media that is 10bit does allow for greater accuracy with color and FX even when previewing with 8 bit preview. The 10 Bit preview just gives a more accurate representation of the current frame presented on the display. The Decklink mini monitor would be fine to start with but the Intensity 4K is not much more and offers 4K output if you require that in the future. The Asus Pro Art monitors are excellent 10bit monitors for that price range. I am not seeing any limitation on that monitor for 10bit so you should have 10 bit color via HDMi or Displayport. Some of the cheaper 10bit monitors are limited to 10 bit off of the displayport only. However I see far less of that with any of the current monitors.

Eric

ADK