• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Nikon D500 raw files won't open with (updated) CS6. Solution?

New Here ,
May 10, 2016 May 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have updated the raw plugin and noted that Nikon D500 (NEF files) are supported but they still will not open or even produce thumbnails. No phone support available for Photoshop CS6 so how do I get help?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 23, 2016 Jun 23, 2016

delo69 wrote:

I have tried multiple times and it says that it cannot read the NEF files.

What is the exact error message?

If it is something like "the files could not be read", it usually means that you don't have proper permissions on the folder you're importing to. Make sure that you have read and write permissions on the folder.

Alternatively, import to a different folder where you do have the necessary permissions.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This camera requires Camera Raw 9.5, but the latest (and last) version for CS6 is 9.1.1.

You can download the free DNG converter, that will convert your NEFs to DNGs that can be read by CS6, or subscribe to the Creative Cloud Photography Plan, which gives you the latest versions of Photoshop and Lightroom for $10 a month.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bob,

Nikon D500 raw files are not supported in CS6.

You can either upgrade to Photoshop CC2015 for that (ACR 9.5) or download free Adobe DNG Converter to convert the raw files to DNG.

Reference link: Cameras supported by Adobe Camera Raw 

Regards

Chetna

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 20, 2016 Jun 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Chetna,

I have a Nikon D500 and subscribe to the Creative Cloud photography program running lightroom with camera raw 9.6 and it will not import NEF files either despite the link you referenced. Please explain and assist. Thanks Frank

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 21, 2016 Jun 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Frank,

You should be able to import these files in the updated version of Lightroom and Photoshop with Camera Raw 9.6

Do you use Nikon Transfer or Nikon View to transfer the raw files to your machine?

If yes, connect your card to the machine and import directly from it without using Nikon program as it is known to corrupt the images.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your prompt response, Chetna,

No, I didn't use nikon transfer or view. I simply inserted by SD card into my computer. I have tried multiple times and it says that it cannot read the NEF files. I have JPG's on the same card and they are imported without trouble into Lightroom. Please advise who I should contact to get this resolved. It's frustrating to by a new camera and then not be able to import any photos. Thanks again, Frank

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Put your NEF files through this software and see if it makes any difference to Photoshop or Lightroom

Fix Corrupted Nikon NEF Images

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would also be helpful if you told us what operating system your using.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 22, 2016 Jun 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried the software and it created a fixed folder next to my original files as it stated but the folder stays empty. I am running Windows 7 Professional. I have now tried to import D500 raw NEF files from both a SD card and a XQD card and lightroom will not recognize them. I have tried all combinations of RAW NEF files: 12 bit, 14 bit, compressed lossless, compressed, and uncompressed. None are recognized.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 23, 2016 Jun 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

delo69 wrote:

I have tried multiple times and it says that it cannot read the NEF files.

What is the exact error message?

If it is something like "the files could not be read", it usually means that you don't have proper permissions on the folder you're importing to. Make sure that you have read and write permissions on the folder.

Alternatively, import to a different folder where you do have the necessary permissions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 23, 2016 Jun 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're absolutely correct. I changed the file settings and they imported! Thanks for your help. Frank

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 13, 2017 Apr 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I'm having the same issue!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 22, 2017 Mar 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HELP!!! I am using photoshop cc2015 and cant upload NEF files. My files have read and write permissions

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 09, 2017 Jul 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got a D500 and the DNG converter didn't work, it couldn't even read what was in the folder. This is so stupid. I never had a problem with my D800.  I have the latest Lightroom 6.1 (trail version) and I still cant get the RAWS to show.  I've added a codec so I can atleast view in windows, but that's it. whats the point of purchasing LIGHTROOM if it cant read my RAWS. I have a wedding to edit!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom has supported the D500 since version 6.5 and the D800 since version 4.1.

Cameras supported by Camera Raw

You must make sure that you are running 6.5 or later then there is no issue with the D500. The current version of Lightroom is 6.10 (six point ten).

You say you are running the trial version, when you click Help > System Info, which Lightroom version is shown?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 10, 2017 Jul 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply!  I did check the system info. Lightroom version 6.1. Perhaps the trial version is just the older one.  I'm hoping that when I purchase the $10 a month version it will be the 6.5 version. (I was previously using lightroom 4)  I just think it's weird they would hold that version back. I just need to be sure that the purchased version will fix it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you used Nikon Transfer to get the nefs from your camera to computer that could be the problem, as older versions of nikon transfer are known to corrupt nefs in such a way adobe software won't open them.

Or you Lightroom 6 is not updated far enough to support the Nikon D500 files.

Have you tried Help>Updates in Lightroom?

In Lightroom if you go to Help>System Info the top line says the Lightroom version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 10, 2017 Jul 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Well I updated the trial version. It works.  already crashed though...but atleast it shows them!  Trial version was 6.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 12, 2017 Mar 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem. Where exactly is this folder located that I need to change permissions? I checked the folder I am importing from, but I am not sure where the import to folder in located.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines