9 Replies Latest reply on May 12, 2016 11:44 AM by Steve Grisetti

Download video problem

SteveH59 Level 1

Hello

I have Premier Elements 11 and I am trying to import a movie clip directly from the camcorder.

The camcorder is turned on at the mains, and I have Prem Elements open with the menu showing:

Videos from Flip or Cameras

DV Camcorder

etc

I am not able to import it. Which menu item should I be clicking on, please?

In 'My PC', Windows 10, I cannot see the camcorder. Does it need to be switched on or on Play for me to download it?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Download video problem
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

It depends on which model of camcorder and which version of the program you're using.

Current versions of Premiere Elements do not capture video from tape-based miniDV or HDV camcorders. You must capture the video using a FireWire connection and either Win DV (for miniDV) or HDV Split (for HDV) and then import this video into your project once it's on your hard drive.

• 2. Re: Download video problem
            SteveH59 Level 1

Hello Steve

Thanks for your reply.

No, there is no tape, it's a modern Canon Legria.

I don't think it's charged up now but that shouldn't make any difference. Windows should still be able to see it.

Thanks again.

• 3. Re: Download video problem

Once again, we need to know the camera model in order to recommend the method for capturing or importing your video. There are many many models of Canon Legria.

• 4. Re: Download video problem
                SteveH59 Level 1

Its a Legria HF R57

• 5. Re: Download video problem

Connect the camcorder to your computer via USB and set the camcorder to Play/VTR mode. (You may also need to set the camcorder to computer connection mode.) You will also likely need to have the camcorder plugged into your AC outlet.

You still haven't told me which version of the program you're using but, in Premiere Elements 14, select Add Media/Video from Camera or Device. This will open the Video Importer from which you can select which clips are imported.

For more information, check out Part 2 of my free 8 part Basic Training tutorial series at Premiere Elements support site Muvipix.com.

*** Premiere Elements Basic Training ***

• 6. Re: Download video problem
                    RKOLE

I have the same or a related problem. I have been using Premiere Elements 11 for a couple of years. Today I needed to add media to a project from a DV Sony Camcorder (with minitape). I have done this in the past many times, but I have not used this since I upgraded my PC to Windows 10.

The system does recognise the recorder but as soon as I switch the recorder on Premiere closes down. It is impossible to transfer the video.

• 7. Re: Download video problem

No, that's a completely different problem, rkole. I'd recommend you start a new thread -- and please note whether or not you've connected the camcorder to the computer via IEEE-1394 FireWire.

• 8. Re: Download video problem
                        RKOLE Level 1

Steve,

Thanks for the response. I found this forum, but frankly, that was more or less by surprise. It was nog easy for me to find this forum and I doubt whether I can go back to it. I think that Adobe is not really keen on advertising with those forums. I can try to go back but I do not have any idea how to start a new thread. Actually that is why I added my comment to an existing item. I did realize that my problem is not exacly the same.

Actually I did not have this problem before. Therefore I suspect that it is caused by the upgrade to Windows 10. In the past I used Winodows 7, which worked okay.

I am using the same hardware, i.e.: the same pc, with the same iEEE-1394 FireWire card, the same cable and the same Sony HDC camera. Also the same version of Premiere Elements ( version 11). So it should be possible to work.

How do I start a new thread?

Thanks

Rob Kole

Van: Steve Grisetti 

Verzonden: donderdag 12 mei 2016 14:19

Aan: Robert Aart Kole <rkole@wxs.nl>

Onderwerp:  Download video problem

Download video problem

created by Steve Grisetti <https://forums.adobe.com/people/Steve+Grisetti>  in Premiere Elements - View the full discussion <https://forums.adobe.com/message/8745228#8745228>

• 9. Re: Download video problem

Go to the Premiere Elements forum and click on the Start New Discussion link.