Is your RH2015 all patched up? I’d make sure you’ve loaded all the patches first & then try upgrading a copy of the problem RH11 project. If it upgrades cleanly, save it & restart RH2015 and open up the project to try the generate. I’ve seen sometimes that RH gets all hung up with files in memory or something about upgraded projects if you try to upgrade & generate in one fell swoop. Better to chunk it up a bit – upgrade, then save, restart & generate.
Thanks for the reply Jeff. I just checked and I have all of the latest updates installed. I started this yesterday and when I restarted my computer and tried again this morning, I got the same results.
The other three projects seem to be fine, but this one, not so much. The projects are similar and, of course, the most important one is the one that won't generate and hangs RH.
Each project is roughly 500 topics, so they aren't too huge.
Ok, so now you’re into the divide & conquer rule – take a backup of the upgraded RH2015 project (that part went ok, right?) – toss out half the topics and see if you can generate; if you can’t, toss out half again & try once more. Rinse and repeat until you find the offending topic(s) that are causing the grief. Once that’s accomplished, you can plan to figure out how to repair/replace the busted topic(s).
Lovely. I think it is the software that is offending. The project generates fine in RH 11, but appears to hang RH 2015 before I even try to generate -- even though it says the project was upgraded successfully.
I tried to save it right after it appeared to finish upgrading, but it would do nothing. Had to again kill it from the task bar. Is there any kind of upgrade log that might be useful in tracking down what is causing it to hang?
The projects are pretty similar, just different versions of the same Help system.
I opened the Travel_the_Whirls sample project and it generated fine.
I opened one of the three projects I was able to successfully upgrade, and it generated fine.
So with some of your projects and one of the samples working OK, I can't see how you say it is the software that is the problem. It has to be something in your project and Jeff has already outlined what to do. It is not as time consuming as you might think and it nearly always finds a problem in one or a small number of topics.
Post back though if it doesn't solve the problem.
See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring information
Thanks Peter. I guess I consider it a software problem because I have worked for software companies for many years. Whenever we release a new version that requires a conversion of prior version files, making the conversion work in all situations is a big priority. Failing that, we would provide a log that told you where the problem was, solve it, and then update our conversion routines. If we couldn't upgrade a customer's files, created in our software, we considered that a bug.
In any case, I guess I have two options, the divide and conquer approach Jeff outlined and another one.
My company has recently been bought by another and the writers who work for our new owners use Madcap Flare. I downloaded a Flare trial version and it appears to have pulled in the RoboHelp project that RoboHelp found offensive just fine. There were a few warnings about index entries, but nothing that hung it up. On initial look, I think the warnings pertain to index entries that refer to topics which have been deleted.
I will review the output Flare generated in greater detail today and also see how it does with the projects RoboHelp was able to upgrade, but so far it looks fine.