13 Replies Latest reply on May 18, 2016 9:45 PM by evanp25824195

Transferring InDesign Objects to Multiple Layers In Photoshop

evanp25824195

My workflow usually has me designing vectors in InDesign CC and then having to transfer them to Photoshop CC for effects, refinements, exporting etc.

There is only the option to drag or copy and paste each individual vector into Photoshop to become a smart object but this is incredibly time-consuming and tedious. How do I transfer all the multiple objects in my InDesign file to create separate layered smart objects in Photoshop?

I'm not using layers in InDesign, I know there's a script out there that can help assist with that but I'm more focused on transferring multiple objects at the same time.

Any help would be really appreciated!

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Transferring InDesign Objects to Multiple Layers In Photoshop
          Dan Rodney Adobe Community Professional

If you don't mind me asking, why are you designing in InDesign and then moving to Photoshop?

Why aren't you creating the assets directly in Photoshop, or creating the vectors in Illustrator (which you can copy and paste into Photoshop as a smart object)?

Is this for web or print?

• 2. Re: Transferring InDesign Objects to Multiple Layers In Photoshop
            evanp25824195 Level 1

Hi Dan, thanks for your reply.

In terms of the graphic work I'm doing, InDesign is a lot quicker, plus I like using multiple drafts and its pages feature is perfect for that. But they are transferred to photoshop for further animation.

But let's consider that I use Illustrator instead, the same issue still stands. I can copy and paste individual elements from illustrator into Photoshop as smart objects with no worry. But I can only do this one vector at a time, and over many projects, this can amount to a lot of wasted hours.

If I select multiple vectors in either InDesign or Illustrator at once and paste them into Photoshop, Photoshop will group them all as one smart object, is there any way around this?

• 3. Re: Transferring InDesign Objects to Multiple Layers In Photoshop
              Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

If you are on Mac OS X you can use that Apple Script: http://indesignsecrets.com/save-indesign-files-layered-photoshop-files.php

With Windows you are out of luck.

• 4. Re: Transferring InDesign Objects to Multiple Layers In Photoshop

No way to do it correctly with Illustrator. But you could use CC Libraries and use it layer by layer.

• 5. Re: Transferring InDesign Objects to Multiple Layers In Photoshop
                  Dan Rodney Adobe Community Professional

In terms of the graphic work I'm doing, InDesign is a lot quicker, plus I like using multiple drafts and its pages feature is perfect for that. But they are transferred to photoshop for further animation.

I know and respect that everyone's workflow may be unique, There may be good reasons why you are working the way you do, but I'd like to offer some thoughts based on my years of experience.

I've taught many people that avoid using Photoshop because they are faster in another app. This ends up leading to problems though. Moving between apps can have problems:

• loss of visual quality and control
                  • loss of editiability
                  • the time and hassle of transferring between apps (which is what you're facing a challenge with)

In my experience, when people say designing in InDesign or Illustrator is faster, it means they know those apps better. After learning Photoshop's tricks and shortcuts you may be able to be just as fast in PS. (Even if designing is a little slower, not having to transfer between apps is going to save you time. When it comes to editing, that's going to be faster too, so consider the entire time involved.)

Photoshop has come a long way for page layout. I've taught many people that feel more comfortable with ID or AI, but once they make an effort to really learn and get used to PS for layout, they end up being able to work faster than they thought they could.

Working natively and creating editable elements in PS will also give you more control over the visual quality. Slightly blurry anti-aliased edges (instead of pixel snapping) is a frequent problem I see. Making editable type in PS gives you anti-aliasing controls not found in either AI or ID. Photoshop CC now has multiple artboards, which are like multiple pages in InDesign.

Instead of trying to move between apps, maybe finding more efficient ways of working in Photoshop will end up being the better route? I hope this helps and gives you some things to think about. I love helping people with workflow and empowering people with the best ways of doing things, not just "what works". Of course it's hard for me to best advise without seeing more specifics on your exact workflow and types of things you're creating.

• 6. Re: Transferring InDesign Objects to Multiple Layers In Photoshop
                    rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The latest version of the AppleScript Willi linked to is here #145:

how to export indesign layers to photoshop layers (same structure)

For it to be useful you would have to work with layers. It might be fairly easy to script page items to be layered. All page items have an ID number so a script could make layers named with the ID. If you are using OSX I could post an example.

• 7. Re: Transferring InDesign Objects to Multiple Layers In Photoshop
                      evanp25824195 Level 1

Thanks for that.

But unfortunately, I don't design in layers so I guess there may be no easy way out of this!

• 8. Re: Transferring InDesign Objects to Multiple Layers In Photoshop
                        evanp25824195 Level 1

Thanks for your detailed answer!

You put forward a good point, and learning how to proficiently use photoshop with my type of graphic work is probably the better — and more time-saving option in the long run.

I was just curious if Adobe had bridged this level of compatibility between the two applications.

• 9. Re: Transferring InDesign Objects to Multiple Layers In Photoshop

But unfortunately, I don't design in layers so I guess there may be no easy way out of this!

But you are looking for Photoshop layers right?

You could move all the page items on to their own layers via a script and then run the Layers to photoshop script. So you could try this:

tell application "Adobe InDesign CC 2014"

set pi to all page items of active page of active window

tell active document

repeat with i from (count of pi) to 1 by -1

set x to item i of pi

set idname to id of x as string

try

set idlayer to layer idname

on error

set idlayer to make new layer with properties {name:idname}

end try

set item layer of x to idlayer

end repeat

end tell

end tell

It will take a single layer page:

Screen Shot 2016-05-12 at 9.23.43 AM.png

And move the objects on to separate layers name with their IDs:

Screen Shot 2016-05-12 at 9.24.01 AM.png

• 10. Re: Transferring InDesign Objects to Multiple Layers In Photoshop
                            evanp25824195 Level 1

Yeah, I am using OSX.

You could move all the page items on to their own layers via a script and then run the Layers to photoshop script. So you could try this:

tell application "Adobe InDesign CC 2014"

set pi to all page items of active page of active window

tell active document

repeat with i from (count of pi) to 1 by -1

set x to item i of pi

set idname to id of x as string

try

set idlayer to layer idname

on error

set idlayer to make new layer with properties {name:idname}

end try

set item layer of x to idlayer

end repeat

end tell

end tell

So there are two different scripts?

1. The script to transfer all objects to separate layers — which you just wrote above.

2. The second script which you linked previous that transfers InDesign layers to Photoshop Layers.

If this is the case, where do I input the first script within InDesign to give it this command?

Thanks so much!

• 11. Re: Transferring InDesign Objects to Multiple Layers In Photoshop

evanp25824195 schrieb:

Thanks for that.

I think you should change the way how you work with InDesign. Personally I think, it is impossible to work without layers, if you want to avoid specific problems. Layers save time, make selections and masters more easy and do not make files larger. They are a huge time saver.

• 12. Re: Transferring InDesign Objects to Multiple Layers In Photoshop

If this is the case, where do I input the first script within InDesign to give it this command?

Yes there are two scripts. The code I posted above will take every object on the active page and put it on its own layer. Running the 2nd script will export those layers to Photoshop.

If you want to control the layering in Photoshop you might be better off starting to create your own layers in InDesign. I haven't tested the new layering script that much, so work on a copy to make sure it is doing what you expect.

Here is a compiled version of the layering script in a zip archive. Copy it into your scripts folder and it will show in your Scripts panel. /Applications/Adobe InDesign /Scripts/Scripts Panel

It layers the objects on the active page of the active document

http://www.zenodesign.com/forum/MakeLayersFromPageitems.zip

• 13. Re: Transferring InDesign Objects to Multiple Layers In Photoshop
                                  evanp25824195 Level 1

Okay, great!

Just about to try it on the working files.

Thanks so much!