8 Replies Latest reply on May 16, 2016 3:11 AM by georgekal

H.264 Making Video Bad Quality

kingn26657969

Hello I was trying to make a video, on a game I was playing with 1080p resolution. The video I recorded looked fine, but when I put it into aftereffects, and rendered it it looked horrible. It said it was a 1080p video, but it was definitely not. I changed all setting to super high resolution, and my comp setting to super high to, but it keeps doing the same thing?

• 1. Re: H.264 Making Video Bad Quality
          Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You are not giving us nearly enough information to help you. See this page for a good example of what information would be useful.

Screenshots of your render settings and output module settings would be ideal.

What version of AE you're using might also help (down to the last decimal).

If you're trying to render an H.264 out of AE, I'd recommend against that. There's a reason Adobe removed that feature from recent versions. It is not built for that. Render an intermediate file out of AE (QuickTime with the Photo-JPEG codec, for example) and use the Adobe Media Encoder to make your H.264.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: H.264 Making Video Bad Quality
            kingn26657969 Level 1

CS6 version 11.04. 2016-05-12_210016.png<<<<<Before2016-05-12_205749.png<<<<<<After

• 3. Re: H.264 Making Video Bad Quality
              kingn26657969 Level 1

Comp Setting.png<<<<Comp SettingsRender Setting.png<<Render SettingsOutput Settings.png<<<<Output Setting                   Tell me if you need anymore info.

• 4. Re: H.264 Making Video Bad Quality
                Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

First your frame size should be 1920x1080.  You have a comp size that is non standard and if maintained in the render will foul up the color sampling. H.264 has a narrow compatible set of frame sizes and frame rates. Video should never be an odd number of pixeis high or wide. Unless you know exactly what you are doing none of composition settings should should ever say custom.

Second, the Render Cue cannot do the multi-pass processing that mpeg (h.264) requires to do a good job on subtle colors. Also your data rate is really low for HD.

If you want high quality h.264 you should use one of the presets in the Adobe Media Envoder. You can render comps directly but a better choice would be to render a lossless master from the render cue then compress that in the AME.

• 5. Re: H.264 Making Video Bad Quality

I agree with Rick. You should NOT render H.264 directly from AE, but if you must, give it a chance by making the bitrate higher than 3 Mbps! (But seriously, don't use AE to make an H.264. There are some good reasons that feature has been removed for the past several recent versions.)

• 6. Re: H.264 Making Video Bad Quality
                    georgekal

If you don't want to use media encoder, download quick time  , change your format to quick time then go to format options and in video codec choose H.264. I am a new after effects video maker so you can try it but i think it's better to listen rick and szalam and use media encoder it's the best solution i think .

• 7. Re: H.264 Making Video Bad Quality

georgekal wrote:

If you don't want to use media encoder, download quick time , change your format to quick time then go to format options and in video codec choose H.264.

QuickTime H.264 is buggy and isn't supported by Apple. I would recommend against that course of action.

1 person found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: H.264 Making Video Bad Quality
                        georgekal Level 1

Yes I agree with you . I just gave him an option.