5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 27, 2006 11:45 AM by jl2000

Fonts in Flash Project

lisamaenot Level 1
      Hi. I posted this before but it seems to have dissapeared. Sorry for the repost.

I have a simple project which can be viewed at < http://www.mikelrouse.com/>

I've checked it in new versions of IE, Safari, Netscape and Firefox and it looks fine. But I'm in Ausatralia right now and i checked the project on an older version of IE and some of the fonts change (or default) to Times font. But some of the fonts stayed correct. Is this just a problem with oloder browsers or should i have somehow "embedded" the text in some way?

Thanks for any tips.
        • 1. Re: Fonts in Flash Project
          Level 7
          "lisamaenot" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message news:e58krv$ib7$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          > Hi. I posted this before but it seems to have dissapeared. Sorry for the
          > repost.
          >
          > I have a simple project which can be viewed at <<a target=_blank
          > class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href=" http://www.mikelrouse.com/>
          >
          > I've"> http://www.mikelrouse.com/>
          >
          > I've</a> checked it in new versions of IE, Safari, Netscape and Firefox and it
          > looks fine. But I'm in Ausatralia right now and i checked the project on an
          > older version of IE and some of the fonts change (or default) to Times font.
          > But some of the fonts stayed correct. Is this just a problem with oloder
          > browsers or should i have somehow "embedded" the text in some way?
          >
          > Thanks for any tips.

If you need the text to change by Actionscript, use dynamic fonts and embed the font outlines. If the text stays the same (static),
          then use static text and you won't need to embed the font outlines. It is a common mistake to use dynamic text where static text
          should be used.
          tralfaz

• 2. Re: Fonts in Flash Project
            gaurav_ch Level 1
            hi,

what fonts are you talking about? they were fine except the dynamic textfeild. i think you should embed the font if you want as if you dont, the movie is taking the default font installed on the user's computer.it might be possible that the computer does not have the required fonts installed.

hope it helps.

gaurav
            • 3. Re: Fonts in Flash Project
              jl2000 Level 1
              Hi-
              I'd like to ask a related question about embedding or not embedding fonts. I'm using Flash8 on OSX10.4.

I've been adding the fonts via the Library panel. Using a little dropdown menu in the upper right I've been adding "New Font...", finding them on my system, changing the name slightly to keep my sanity. Then when I make a text area I select those fonts (they show an asterisk). Is that the same as embedding??

Thanks for answering this jump in question.

JL
              • 4. Re: Fonts in Flash Project
                Level 7
                "jlucchesi" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message news:e7pmsf$i52$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                > Hi-
                > I'd like to ask a related question about embedding or not embedding fonts.
                > I'm using Flash8 on OSX10.4.
                >
                > I've been adding the fonts via the Library panel. Using a little dropdown
                > menu in the upper right I've been adding "New Font...", finding them on my
                > system, changing the name slightly to keep my sanity. Then when I make a text
                > area I select those fonts (they show an asterisk). Is that the same as
                > embedding??
                >
                > Thanks for answering this jump in question.
                >
                > JL

To avoid making the swf file bigger, fonts are not included in the file normally. If you specify Arial text and the person viewing
                the file also has Arial on their computer then no problem.. they see the text. If you were to use a more exotic font then the
                chances that the other person has the same font are greatly reduced and you run the risk of them not seeing the text or seeing wrong
                looking text. To avoid that, you can embed the font outlines. It is a selection under the "Character" button of the text
                properties. The embedded font makes the swf a little bit bigger. This does not apply to static text which is always embedded as
                shapes. Your fonts with an asterisk are custom to your computer only and will definitely NOT be on the site visitor's computer so
                you will have to embed the font outlines for those.

Also, if you do anything to dynamic text, like move it around or apply effects to it, you really have to embed the font outlines to
                keep the text from disappearing.
                tralfaz

• 5. Re: Fonts in Flash Project
                  jl2000 Level 1
                  tralfaz -
                  Thanks for the reply. I understand better now. I am not sure whether the user will have the weird font I'm using so I understand that I should embed the fonts that will appear in the dynamic text boxes.
                  I'm using the same weird font in the static text boxes but I won't have to embed those (there is no "embed" option on the static text properties panel...at least not on Flash8/Mac).

Do I have that right so far?

The asterisks come from when I "add" a font thru the Library. I don't know if that's the same as embedding.

Josh