6 Replies Latest reply on May 12, 2016 1:12 PM by joet082964

Redo last formatting keyboard shortcut?

Cajun0722

Nowhere can I find a hint about how to do a "Redo Formatting" shortcut in InDesign CS6. What I want is like WORD or EXCEL, "Ctrl Y."

I edit a mag, Minnesota Bluegrass, and have to continually point/click when I want to redo, say, BOLD. Part of our mag is a calendar section and a shortcut like"Ctrl Y" would be extremely helpful. Also in the calendar, the date/day line is different type that the actual listing. I have created styles but have continually point/click to do what I need. I probably haven't done the complete exhaustive search for this, but have spent a bit of time scouring the forums. Any thoughts?

Why can't you hit Ctrl B when you want to BOLD like other apps? Or the other Word type program KBSC?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Redo last formatting keyboard shortcut?
          BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

This is what character styles are for and they can be applied with a find / change operation.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Redo last formatting keyboard shortcut?
            Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

That Office shortcut is not found in the Adobe applications.

That is because the correct way to apply formatting in almost all cases is with Paragraph Styles and Character Styles. Reapplying formatting with styles is very easy, will reduce editing time when changes occur, can be applied by multiple people workin on a project.

Paragraph and Character Styles can also be applied either with keyboard shortcuts (which can be assigned with the style) or with the Quick Apply feature.

• 3. Re: Redo last formatting keyboard shortcut?
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

You can define a keyboard shortcut for any style, or use Quick Apply. For Bold the default shortcut is Ctrl + Shift + B, for Italic Ctrl + Shift + I, for Bold Italic, do both.

• 4. Re: Redo last formatting keyboard shortcut?
                Barbara Ash Adobe Community Professional

You might like using the Eyedropper tool in InDesign when you want to repeat formatting. It is similar to the Format Painter in MS Word.

As others recommended, it is best practice to use paragraph and character styles. Although it takes a little time to set them up, you will save lots of time in the long run and it will be so much easier to keep everything consistent. The keyboard shortcuts that Peter suggested will work if you have the font installed. For example, if you want bold, you need to have bold version of that font installed. InDesign does not do computerized faux bolding.

• 5. Re: Redo last formatting keyboard shortcut?
                  BarbBinder Adobe Community Professional

You might try using Quick Apply. Its default shortcut is Ctrl+Enter. You choose a character (or other) style by typing part of its name, and if necessary, then using the down arrow to highlight a specific command that's within a group of similarly-named commands. The first time you want to apply a specific command, you press Enter. The next time you open Quick Apply with Ctrl+Enter, the last-used command is selected, ready for you to press Enter to activate it.

InDesign CCss_062.png

• 6. Re: Redo last formatting keyboard shortcut?
                    joet082964 Level 3

As mentioned, set up paragraph or character styles and create your own keyboard shortcut...