1 Reply Latest reply on May 12, 2016 12:07 PM by rob day

Pasting into indesign

jonw1946961

I'm pasting text from a notepad file into an indesign document (CS4) set up with two different paragraph styles (A & B) and placeholder text already in the document. When I paste the text into A to overwrite it, if I select the last carriage return that separates A from B, it applies paragraph style B to my just pasted-in text. Obviously, if I stop my selection just before the carriage return, it keeps everything in style A. I've added extra carriage returns at the end of my text in my notepad file to see if that fixes the problem, but then I just get extra lines in style B. It's not the end of the world to just stop my selection short of that final carriage return, but I was more curious than anything on why it picks up the subsequent paragraph style. Any help would be much appreciate. Thanks!

• 1. Re: Pasting into indesign
          rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

but I was more curious than anything on why it picks up the subsequent paragraph style. Any help would be much appreciate.

I think it's because when you paste, the selected characters are first deleted and your new text is added at the insertion point. It would be similar to selecting a paragraph including its return, and typing. In that case the entire paragraph is deleted and the insertion point takes on the style of the text after, or your B paragraph styling.

1 person found this helpful