4 Replies Latest reply on May 13, 2016 12:58 PM by Tim Kurkoski

Caps Lock doesn't work when keyboard-navigating timeline

dogstardied Level 1

In AE CC 2015 v13.5 on OS X 10.11, when caps lock is activated, scrubbing the timeline with the mouse stops frames from being calculated, as expected. However, when I use cmd+arrow keys or cmd+shift+arrow keys to navigate the timeline with caps lock activated, frames are still calculated.

In addition to that, while a frame is being calculated, AE completely ignores all keyboard input until the frame is finished calculating.

This is a huge problem, because keyboard navigation allows me to quickly step forward or backward by a specific number of frames. In CC 2014, even without caps lock activated, I could continue to navigate the timeline without waiting for every single frame to be calculated. This is a slowdown of a very basic function.

Using the mouse for a similarly precise navigation of the timeline requires counting frames manually, and is a huge slowdown as well, even though caps lock seems to do its job when using the mouse. Not to mention the added slowdown of having to constantly switch between keyboard and mouse simply to navigate the timeline.

This wasn't an issue in CC 2014 and I'm considering rolling back to that installation, because this is one of myriad problems that CC 2015 has introduced.

• 1. Re: Caps Lock doesn't work when keyboard-navigating timeline
          Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

CC 2015 should enable you to navigate, change values, etc. without having to wait for the comp window to be calculated and rendered. In theory, you wouldn't need to use Caps Lock at all!

You're using the old (and much more buggy) version of CC 2015! You should seriously consider updating it. You want to be on 13.7.2 13.6 and 13.7 introduced some much-needed changes to the new preview architecture and fixed many bugs.

• 2. Re: Caps Lock doesn't work when keyboard-navigating timeline
            dogstardied Level 1

Upgraded to 13.7.2 and the layouts of the panels has totally changed. This is ridiculous. I'm rolling back to CC 2014. Adobe's updates are a joke. The lack of horizontal scroll bars across panel tabs was already frustrating enough, as were the new RAM preview settings.

• 3. Re: Caps Lock doesn't work when keyboard-navigating timeline
              Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You should give 13.7 a chance. (Remember, you can have CC 2014 installed alongside it, if you do get too frustrated and project files work between versions with no issues.)

The updates to 13.7 actually made the preview settings able to be very similar to the old RAM preview, but you get more customization to make it be the way YOU like to work, plus you get the improvements of the new architecture.

The PANELS! Those you should really give a chance. Try the all panels workspace. I found it much easier to work that way, especially on smaller screens.

• 4. Re: Caps Lock doesn't work when keyboard-navigating timeline
                Tim Kurkoski Adobe Employee

I have verified this problem and filed a bug, thanks for reporting it.

However, this is not a new bug in After Effects CC 2015. This problem also exists in CC 2014.

If you use the Command key + left/right arrows to navigate between frames, the Composition panel preview will be updated even when the Caps Lock key is on.

However, if you use the PageUp and PageDown keys to navigate between frames, the Composition panel preview will not be updated when the Caps Lock key is on. This works in both After Effects CC 2015 and CC 2014.

(It's strange to me that After Effects is making a difference between which keyboard shortcut is being used for the same command. As noted, I've filed the bug.)

Regarding the panel layouts in After Effects CC 2015 (13.6 and later), you can continue to use the traditional tabbed panel interface. I suggest starting with the Standard workspace and customizing your layout from there.

Regarding scrolling  tabbed panels, improvements for that will be in our upcoming release of After Effects. You will be able to scroll across tabs by panning them with the Hand tool (e.g., hold down the spacebar key, like you would in the Composition viewer), or hold down the Shift key and use the scroll wheel or scroll gestures.