13 Replies Latest reply on May 13, 2016 4:33 PM by wobertc

ICC Profiles not showing up

AnnieVE Level 1

Hello!   Totally frustrated here...   I am trying to do my first Soft Proof in LR 6 but it does not find my printer's icc profile.  I have made sure the printer driver is installed, and my printer is working, so I have to assume that it is installed. 

I have an HP Photosmart 7525.

I'm not really intending on printing on that particular printer, but I am trying to experiment with using the icc profile in Soft Proof before I call my photo lab so that I have some idea of what I am doing when I speak with them.

According to my LR books, I should have an option to specify both the printer icc profiles and the paper icc profiles. But there is no option for me to specify the paper ones anywhere.

I've been to both HP.com and InternationalPaper.com and neither have icc profiles available for download.  Grrr. 

Not much hair left on my head. 

Thanks for your help!

Anne

• 1. Re: ICC Profiles not showing up
          ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If ICC profiles exist for that printer, there would be several profiles, one for each printer-paper combination.

The only ICC profile I see when looking in the 28.8MB software installer is called this:  Adobe RGB (1998) D65 WP 2.2 Gamma.icc which doesn’t seem like something for a printer-paper combination so maybe your printer doesn’t have paper-specific ICC profiles.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: ICC Profiles not showing up
            wobertc Adobe Community Professional

Printer and Paper profiles are one-and-the-same thing. They are not separate entities.

Paper profiles are designed for the printer you are using, and are usually installed when you install the printer drivers.

When you have the Printer setup dialog open and choose a paper (eg. Glossy, Matte, Pearl, etc) you are in fact choosing a profile for that paper and printer.

The Soft Proofing function in Lightroom should be able to show your installed profiles in the "Profile: " drop-down menu.

At the base of this menu there is a selection- "Other"  This will open a full list of ALL the profiles installed in your computer (including screen profiles).  Search this list and place a Tick beside any that would be HP-Printer profiles. (Identifying may be difficult if names are cryptic). The 'ticked' profiles are the ones that will be added to and show always in the "Profile:" drop-down menu.

ScreenShot581.jpgScreenShot582.jpg

• 3. Re: ICC Profiles not showing up
              AnnieVE Level 1

Hi SSPrengel,  which installer are you looking at?  The LR installer or HP's drive installer?

Thanks!!

• 4. Re: ICC Profiles not showing up
                AnnieVE Level 1

Hi wobertc,

Thank you for your reply.

That's exactly what I thought should happen, but here is what I am getting:

LR softproof pop-up.png

As yo can see, Simulate Paper & Ink is greyed out.

When I choose Other...  I get this:

LR Choose Profiles Pop-up.png

I know my print driver is there cuz I'm printing...  and here it is...

HP Printer Driver installed.png

When I go to print something outside of LR, like from Pages, it allows me to select the kind of paper, etc...

I'm stumped why LR has not imported the icc profile for me to even select it.  It does have a bunch of Display profiles, but not printer profiles.

Here are the display profiles:

LR Display profiles.png

Not an HP print profile among them that I can tell. 

There are these RGB and CMYK generic things but even those won't allow me to select Simulate Paper & Ink.

Do you have any idea what I have done wrong??   Thank you!

• 5. Re: ICC Profiles not showing up
                  trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

AnnieVE wrote:

Not an HP print profile among them that I can tell.

There are these RGB and CMYK generic things but even those won't allow me to select Simulate Paper & Ink.

It appears HP does not provide paper profiles for use with "manage by application" and soft proofing. I found this site with ICM paper profiles for the 7520 model, which should be similar.

ICC Printer Color Profiles HP Photosmart 6520 7520

There is a PDF in each profile downloaded ZIP file with instructions and cross-reference to HP paper types by name:

• 6. Re: ICC Profiles not showing up
                    thedigitaldog MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Simulation for paper and ink are grayed out for all matrix style profiles, profiles that are not based on a printer (sRGB, Adobe RGB (1998) etc). There's nothing to simulate in those profiles hence, the check box is grayed out. With a true printer profile, they will be available to select because those profiles have the necessary tables to simulate paper and ink in a soft proof.

• 7. Re: ICC Profiles not showing up
                      AnnieVE Level 1

Ah, that's why it greys it out!   So, for some reason HP doesn't have these printer/paper profiles.

I will try the profiles recommended by trshaner.

Maybe I'll call HP too and ask them why they don't have any. 

Wow, thank you both so so much!

I can start regrowing my hair... 

• 8. Re: ICC Profiles not showing up
                        AnnieVE Level 1

Hi trshaner,

Thank you for finding those!!  What search did you do? 

I will give these a try and see how they work.

I'm also thinking of giving HP a call to find out why they don't have profiles.  They advertise their printer as a premium (ahem) photo printer so they should at least have some profile I would think. 

I'll keep this thread posted with what I find out.

Thank you so so much for your help!

Anne

• 9. Re: ICC Profiles not showing up
                          trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

AnnieVE wrote:

Thank you for finding those!! What search did you do?

I will give these a try and see how they work.

UR welcome. Here's the search I used: https://www.google.com/search?q=HP+Photosmart+7525+printer+profiles&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

Help with installing and using these the profiles here: Red River Paper ICC Inkjet Color Printer Profiles Home

• 10. Re: ICC Profiles not showing up
                            AnnieVE Level 1

Thank you!!

• 11. Re: ICC Profiles not showing up
                              AnnieVE Level 1

As promised, here is my follow-up on the icc profile hunt:

(1)  I called International Paper, and they said they get so many requests for icc profiles for the hundreds of different printer-and-paper combinations out there that they don't usually create them for individual users.  The recommend buying a printer that already has icc profiles made, tho he was going to see if he could create one for me if he could find a HP Photosmart 7525 in their lab, using the paper he recommended. 

I haven't heard back yet, but I still have my fingers crossed.  He recommended using HP specific paper, and recommended the HP Bright White with Color Lock.

I have not heard back from HP yet, and so may call them again on Monday.  Or...  perhaps someone at Adobe knows of an icc profile hanging around.  I guess I'll wait to see what IP does before I move ahead.

(2)  I called my local print lab and he actually recommended some online labs that specialize in printing fine art prints (which is what I am photoing after I am done painting my pictures).  Matching the color has been really tough, but at least now I know why, and I have a method of trying to get as close to the color as possible. 

He's going to look into getting me the icc profile for their printers/paper...  he has to speak to the lab manager to see what it is.

(3)  My local print lab guy also recommended using some online companies that specialize in doing prints, like Millers,  ACI, and Whitehouse.  Hopefully they will have icc profiles that I can use before sending them the actual file to print.

(4)  My local print lab guy also recommended the Canon Pro 100 Printer so that i could try out doing my own printing, but I am wondering how good the quality of that would be as compared to a professional photo lab.

I wanted to do my own printing on my inexpensive HP, just so I could see how it worked, but I wonder if home printing for the final product is really worth it.

Phew!  That's it.  The saga continues...

• 12. Re: ICC Profiles not showing up
                                thedigitaldog MVP & Adobe Community Professional

AnnieVE wrote:

As promised, here is my follow-up on the icc profile hunt:

(1) I called International Paper, and they said they get so many requests for icc profiles for the hundreds of different printer-and-paper combinations out there that they don't usually create them for individual users.

That's kind of BS as stated. They don't have to supply ICC profiles for hundreds of different individual users, they have to build a profile for each paper and printer. That isn't free. They usually have to pay a license fee to the company who's software builds the profiles. But this has nothing to do with hundreds of individual users requesting unique profiles.

(3) My local print lab guy also recommended using some online companies that specialize in doing prints, like Millers, ACI, and Whitehouse. Hopefully they will have icc profiles that I can use before sending them the actual file to print.

And do they then demand you send them sRGB instead of using those profiles? Ask. Because that's an equally goofy workflow (use a profile only for soft proofing, but don't fully use it, send us sRGB). sRGB is suboptimal for output to print. It's great (fine) for posting images to the web and mobile devices. Ideally you want a lab that supplies a profile that defines the output that you can fully use; to convert the data, using the rendering intent you prefer per image. Not sRGB!

• 13. Re: ICC Profiles not showing up
                                  wobertc Adobe Community Professional

Good to see the helpful posts in this thread from trshaner and TheDigitalDog (Digital Dog :: Main )