25 Replies Latest reply on Jun 11, 2016 9:58 PM by nabilamn1993

How do I convert the following Document level JS into a script in the document?

Madmaxneo Level 1

Here is the DLJ (Document Level Javascript) I want to convert to a script in a field in the document:

function getRanksValue(doc, name) {
          var rank = doc.getField(name).value;
          var value = 0;
          if (rank < 1) {
              value = -25;
          } else if (rank > 20) {
              value = 10 * 5 + 10 * 2 + (rank - 20);
          } else if (rank > 10) {
              value = 10 * 5 + (rank - 10) * 2;
          } else {
              value = rank * 5;
          }    return value;
      }

The following is the script in a "Consolidated Script" field, where line 2 has the script that calls that DLJ:

for (var i=0;i<115;i++)
        this.getField("Rank Bns."+i).value = getRanksValue(this, "Ranks"+i);
        for (var ii=0;ii<115;ii++)
        this.getField("Total Bns."+ii).value = Number(this.getField("Rank Bns."+ii).value) + Number(this.getField("Stat Bns."+ii).value) 
        + Number(this.getField("Spec Bns."+ii).value);
        this.getField("Total Bns.44").value = Number(racialStatMods[this.getField("Race").value][10]) 
        + Number(this.getField("Rank Bns.44").value) + (this.getField("Stat Bns.44").value) + Number(this.getField("Spec Bns.44").value);
        this.getField("Total Bns.45").value = Number(racialStatMods[this.getField("Race").value][11]) 
        + Number(this.getField("Rank Bns.45").value) + Number(this.getField("Stat Bns.45").value) + Number(this.getField("Spec Bns.45").value);
        this.getField("Total Bns.46").value = Number(racialStatMods[this.getField("Race").value][12]) 
        + Number(this.getField("Rank Bns.46").value) + Number(this.getField("Stat Bns.46").value) + Number(this.getField("Spec Bns.46").value);

It works as is but I am thinking it might be a little faster if I were to convert the DLJ to work in place of the script in the second section of line 02 above where it calls the DLJ. It would remove the need to call the DLJ. I have been trying to figure this out not for a few hours and I have not gotten anywhere.

I hope someone can help me.

• 1. Re: How do I convert the following Document level JS into a script in the document?
          Madmaxneo Level 1

I forgot to explain. The fields "Ranks", "Rank Bns.", "Total Bns.", and "Stat Bns." are a total of 114 fields each, and they correspond with each other as you can see in the script above. They also have various scripts associated with them.

EDIT: To simplify my question further I am trying to take this script where it calls the DLJ:

for (var i=0;i<115;i++)  

Where the DLJ is getRanksValue and it has the following script:

var value = 0;
              if (rank < 1) 
            {value = -25;} 
            else if (rank > 20) {value = 10 * 5 + 10 * 2 + (rank - 20);} 
            else if (rank > 10) {value = 10 * 5 + (rank - 10) * 2;} 
            else {value = rank * 5;}
              return value;}

I want to take the actual getRanksValue script and replace the script where it calls the DLJ in line 02 of the first script I posted..

I was thinking it would look something like this:

for (var i=0;i<115;i++)
            this.getField("Rank Bns."+i).value = 
              var rank = this.getField("Ranks"+i).value;
              var value = 0;
              if (rank < 1) {value = -25;} 
            else {value = rank * 5;};

But it does not work like it is. I am missing something here, probably several somethings......

Any help?

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How do I convert the following Document level JS into a script in the document?
            Test Screen Name Most Valuable Participant

I think if you hope to speed it up by just replacing a call with inline code you will be disappointed. You can probably do millions of calls a second. In fact, it may slow it down.  So if that's your only motivation, I wouldn't bother.

Otherwise, I note that you have for ( ... ) statement   where you probably want a compound statement i.e. { something ; something ; ... }

You can write

for ( ... )

do this ;

do that ;

but it will only do "this" inside the loop. I have done this many times, believing my layout (it's indented, right!) rather than properly using { } characters

for ( ... )

{

do this ;

do that ;

}

This is nearly as popular a trap as writing

if  ( I = 1 ) ...

instead of

if ( I == 1 ) ...

• 3. Re: How do I convert the following Document level JS into a script in the document?
              Karl Heinz Kremer Adobe Community Professional

If you are trying to optimize the performance of your scripts, move more functionality to document level scripts: They get interpreted once during document startup, whereas a field level script needs to be interpreted every time it gets activated. A field level script that is just one line that calls a document level script can be interpreted and executed much faster than if you would move the whole script into your field event handler.

In addition to this performance advantage, your form will be easier to maintain when you are using document level scripts: If you need to make a change in your functionality - or fix a bug - you make this change once in the document level function, and you don't have to hunt down every instance of where you have a copy of this code in a field.

• 4. Re: How do I convert the following Document level JS into a script in the document?
                gkaiseril MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Do you always update fields by using the "Calculation" option?

It might be possible to perform some of the field updates by using another action. For example. if I have 3 fields for the first name, middle initial and the last name and I want to combine them into one field like full name, instead of using a calculation script in the last name field, I could use the on blur action in the 3 name fields that would update the full name field. This would prevent the full name field from being updated each time the form is recalculated. You should be aware the form is recalculated each time any field used in a calculation is changed. So since the full name only needs to be updated when one of the name fields is updated there is no need to updated each time any field is updated. In a form with lots of calculations removing unnecessary calculations could significantly speed up the updating of the form.

If you have a large number of calculations and have them consolidated into on calculation script, you might want to turn off the auto calculations at the start of the script and turnit back on at the end of the script. As a script is run it updates each field with a calculation, does take some time, by turning the calculations off all this updating field displays is delayed until the auto calculation is turned on again.

The reason for consolidating a large number of calculations into a limited number of fields is that each field with a calculation needs to have the script opened, and interpreted over and over. There is some overhead with this processing of each form field so by consolidating all the code into a few fields removes some of the overhead.

Using document level scripts converts the text script into tokenized code once and not every time a calculation if processed.

• 5. Re: How do I convert the following Document level JS into a script in the document?
                  Madmaxneo Level 1

I have all the script in either a DLJ or in a consolidated script box. There are only a few fields with separate script in them, not enough to make a difference. That particular script I am trying to convert deals with fields that have a few different scripts that apply to them. I have a set of buttons that takes the numbers in one set of fields, either ("RanksA" +i) or ("RanksT" +i) and adds them to the ("Ranks" +i)  fields. When I click one of those buttons the calculation takes 5 mins or more, it is the slowest calculation on the document. An example is it takes the number from the ("Ranks" +i) fields and adds it to the ("RanksA" +i) then places that total back in the ("Ranks" +i) fields then clears out the ("RanksA" +i) fields. Consequently there are 114 fields of each of those. That particular button calculation is a function in a consolidated script. It works but I had to separate the calculation in groups because it is so slow and not all the fields have to be calculated when it needs to be done.

All of the calculations in this form are necessary and in many ways pertain to the ("Total Bns."+i) fields that total 115 fields like the others. I originally intended to use DLJ's for just about all the script but I discovered that some calculations do not work right in the DLJ. I originally put them all in separate fields. I then moved 95% of those calculations into a single consolidated script field. That consolidated script field has over 1000 lines of script in it and I tend to keep all the script compacted as much as possible,

The reason I am trying to do this is because part of the script is in a consolidated script field and that script sends a call to the DLJ to get specific numbers. I am thinking that if I can have it all in one script instead of having a call to the DLJ it may possibly speed it up some. I would be essentially taking out the middle man.....

• 6. Re: How do I convert the following Document level JS into a script in the document?
                    Madmaxneo Level 1

I am not sure I follow. I use the "{ }" where I need to in the script and "( )" where they are required.

Could you elaborate a little more?

• 7. Re: How do I convert the following Document level JS into a script in the document?

In your final block of 8 lines, line 1 is a "for" statement. The only line that is repeated 115 times is line 2. Not what you hoped for I think.

• 8. Re: How do I convert the following Document level JS into a script in the document?

I think something is cut off at the of line 2 as well.

• 9. Re: How do I convert the following Document level JS into a script in the document?
                          Madmaxneo Level 1

Well that part is not really that slow as it is almost instantaneous. In a way that calculation for each of the 115 fields needs to be active because it needs to keep track of the total all the time.

• 10. Re: How do I convert the following Document level JS into a script in the document?
                            Madmaxneo Level 1

Test Screen Name wrote:

In your final block of 8 lines, line 1 is a "for" statement. The only line that is repeated 115 times is line 2. Not what you hoped for I think.

Test Screen Name wrote:

I think something is cut off at the of line 2 as well.

Nope all the script is there. But which line 2 are you talking about? Is it one of the original scripts or the one I am trying to make?

• 11. Re: How do I convert the following Document level JS into a script in the document?

This script

for (var i=0;i<115;i++) 

var value = 0

else {value = rank * 5;}; 

See line 2 is just " this.getField("Rank Bns."+i).value = "

so this merges with line 3 to get

"this.getField("Rank Bns."+i).value =  var rank = this.getField("Ranks"+i).value;"

Which doesn't seem (to me) to make sense.

And then the loop is finished, as I hope you can see. The first line after the loop is "var value=0;"

• 12. Re: How do I convert the following Document level JS into a script in the document?
                                Madmaxneo Level 1

Ok so this if for the script I am attempting to write. This starts the script:

This is the complete calculation script for that line:

var value = 0;  

But it doesn't work like it should.

That last line goes into the rest of the script which references the first line.

I am not sure how to correct it.

Any suggestions?

• 13. Re: How do I convert the following Document level JS into a script in the document?

You can't write

something =

lots of lines ;

with semicolons ;

because the assignment (something = ...) will always, always end at a semicolon. You have to do the calculation in order and assign at the end.

• 14. Re: How do I convert the following Document level JS into a script in the document?
                                    Madmaxneo Level 1

That is what I figured. I tried it with "( )" amongst other things but still can't get it to work.

Just to reiterate I am trying to convert the following DLJ:

var value = 0;  
                                        if (rank < 1) {  
                                            value = -25;  
                                        } else if (rank > 20) {  
                                            value = 10 * 5 + 10 * 2 + (rank - 20);  
                                        } else if (rank > 10) {  
                                            value = 10 * 5 + (rank - 10) * 2;  
                                        } else {  
                                            value = rank * 5;  
                                        }    return value;  
                                    }  

To replace the call to that DLJ in the second part of line 02 (getRanksValue) in this script:

for (var i=0;i<115;i++)  

• 15. Re: How do I convert the following Document level JS into a script in the document?

It's a multiline function. If you must "unwrap" it, to put in the for loop, then it has to be in { ... } . Curly brackets, not round brackets. Some languages will do exactly what you want, JavaScript cannot.

• 16. Re: How do I convert the following Document level JS into a script in the document?
                                        Madmaxneo Level 1

Hmm. So should I place the script in parenthesis "( )", or simply replace all the curly line brackets with parenthesis?

EDIT: I meant to say "I should put it in curly line brackets then?"

• 17. Re: How do I convert the following Document level JS into a script in the document?

Yes, that's the first step. It may seem that {} have some obscure function to do with procedures and if statements, but all they really do is take a list of commands (with ; between them) and let you treat them as just one command.  So

if ( this )

do_one_thing; do_another_thing;

only does the first thing for the if, and does the other thing always. So you can use

if ( this )

{ do_one_thing; do_another_thing; }

Parentheses only are used on expressions, which are a smaller thing than a statement. If that's confusing: you can't have a semi-colon in an expression, so you can't have one inside parentheses. (Yes, oversimplification)

• 18. Re: How do I convert the following Document level JS into a script in the document?
                                            Madmaxneo Level 1

I originally tried that. I will again and post if it worked or not and what I tried tonight when I get home. Thanks for the help so far!

• 19. Re: How do I convert the following Document level JS into a script in the document?

Don't forget that the original procedure had parameters doc and name. You need to allow for this in the code; somehow make sure doc and name are correct.

• 20. Re: How do I convert the following Document level JS into a script in the document?
                                                Madmaxneo Level 1

Now that is kind of confusing. I am not sure why I would need the doc and name part because it is in the script on the document.

• 21. Re: How do I convert the following Document level JS into a script in the document?

The point is that the script as written expects something called "doc" and something called "name". You just need to be sure that these names exist. It's easy to overlook, for example, that inside a procedure you have a variable called "date" but it was called with "date_today". In unwrapping you just need to double check these things. I haven't.

• 22. Re: How do I convert the following Document level JS into a script in the document?
                                                    Madmaxneo Level 1

There is nothing called doc nor anything called name in the document whatsoever. But that same script works fine as a DLJ. In that script I believe that doc is referring to the document and name is referring to the actual name of the field it is using to the number from.

• 23. Re: How do I convert the following Document level JS into a script in the document?
                                                      Karl Heinz Kremer Adobe Community Professional

That is exactly the point that TSN tried to make. Let me try to explain it coming from a different angle:

You have a function that you define as follows (this is the code that you posted):

1. function getRanksValue(doc, name) {   
                                                      2.     var rank = doc.getField(name).value;   
                                                      3.     var value = 0;   
                                                      4.     if (rank < 1) {   
                                                      5.         value = -25;   
                                                      6.     } else if (rank > 20) {   
                                                      7.         value = 10 * 5 + 10 * 2 + (rank - 20);   
                                                      8.     } else if (rank > 10) {   
                                                      9.         value = 10 * 5 + (rank - 10) * 2;   
                                                      10.     } else {   
                                                      11.         value = rank * 5;   
                                                      12.     }    return value;   
                                                      13. }

As you can see, your function takes two arguments: The first one is called "doc", the second one is called "name". These parameters declare local variables in this function, which means that you can use the "doc" and "name" variable, as long as you are within the function code (from the "{ to the "}" characters in line 1 and 13. Outside of this function, there are no variables named "doc" or "name" (that is, unless you declare them in a different scope).

You call this function using these two lines:

1. for (var i=0;i<115;i++)   
                                                      2.   this.getField("Rank Bns."+i).value = getRanksValue(this, "Ranks"+i); 

In line #2, you specify how the local variables from above should be set: The first one ("doc") is set to "this", and the second one ("name") is set to "Ranks"+i

When you unroll the function in order to move it into a field local script, you do no longer have access to "doc" and "name" - you need to replace them with the data that you pass into the function call (this and "Ranks"+i).

This is based JavaScript, and has nothing to do with Acrobat, or with how JavaScript is integrated in Acrobat. Do yourself a favor and learn about the syntax of the core JavaScript language. This is not something you can learn by just copying and pasting code snippets that you find on the internet.

• 24. Re: How do I convert the following Document level JS into a script in the document?
                                                        Madmaxneo Level 1

Ok, that makes more sense, and I should have seen that. It has been hectic and I have been working with this sheet off and on and everything so far has been much more simple than that.

• 25. Re: How do I convert the following Document level JS into a script in the document?
                                                          nabilamn1993

Support for all video players options