4 Replies Latest reply on May 13, 2016 7:06 AM by Szalam

Cartoon / hand drawn filter possible?

Robsta_8910

Hi motion graphics / illustration experts!

I'm working on a project where I want to create simple cartoon style effect from a piece of footage, and wondered how would be the best way to create something like this (reference): Watch Bleacher Report UK's Vine "10 years ago today, Liverpool were about to lose the FA Cup final until... #Gerrard"

I would hand-draw the sequences, but the only issue I have is my client has over 50 clips they want to create "convert" into short cartoon line drawn style animation shorts.
      The footage is a mix of action clips and nothing can be 're-shot' on green screens etc, as there is essentially no budget (obviously).

What would be everyone's advice to approaching a project like this?

Are there any good custom or built in plugins in After Effects that might help me achieve this type of look?

Thanks in advance!

Robbie.

• 1. Re: Cartoon / hand drawn filter possible?
          MikeHoium Level 1

here is one option: Red Giant | ToonIt

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Cartoon / hand drawn filter possible?
            Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

There is a variation of ToonIt included as part of Red Giant Universe too, if I'm not mistaken.

After Effects has a cartoon effect included too.

Whatever you use, you may need to tweak the parameters A LOT to get the look you're after and you may need to do some pretty involved color correction effects under the cartoon effect to get the lines where you want them. For example, if you're getting raccoon eyes, you may need to motion track the eyes with a levels effect to brighten them so that the cartoon effect gives you lines instead of black holes.

Alternatively, duplicate your footage, blur the top layer and set it to darken (or multiply, I forget which) and it'll look a bit painterly.   Then you may add some edges to it with the find edges effect or one of the cartoon effects. I mean, you can't have steak on a hamburger budget, so they'll have to make SOME compromises.

Another alternative would be making your own cartoon effect with posterization effects, find edges effects, and some other things stacked on top of each other with color grading below.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Cartoon / hand drawn filter possible?
              Robsta_8910 Level 1

Hi Szalam,

Super helpful answer! Thank you so much.

I'll have a play with these suggestions you make.

I know it might not be as simple as letting the computer handle everything, but these tips for as much automation as possible are really helpful. Thanks again.

Robbie.

• 4. Re: Cartoon / hand drawn filter possible?
                Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

No problem. Good luck!