3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 28, 2016 6:00 AM by G.Hoffmann

No re-calibration of Epson printers using non-Epson-inks?

G.Hoffmann Level 3

Does anybody have experiences about the replacement of inks for Epson Stylus Pro 7890

by inks by this manufacturer?

Ink for Epson Stylus Pro | Products | easy inks - Inks Made in Germany

The manufacturer says:

"Therefore there will be no re-profiling necessary when changing to our inks.

Our ink can be mixed with the original inks without any problems and can be

successively exchanged one by one."

Is this true? Thanks for sharing experiences.

Best regards --Gernot Hoffmann

• 1. Re: No re-calibration of Epson printers using non-Epson-inks?
          Brad Lawryk Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I would say that if the manufacturer itself says there is an issue then I would assume it's true. Or why would they say that?

• 2. Re: No re-calibration of Epson printers using non-Epson-inks?
            NB, colourmanagement Adobe Community Professional

Hi G.Hoffmann

Some third party ink manufacturers do attempt to make their colours a direct swop for Epson's own by making them match as closely as they can. I see that Easy Inks make this claim: "

Our compatible Ultrachrome ink for Epson Stylus Pro  (snip)  correspond in durability and quality the original ink. The ink is made from first class components and have the same color space as the original inks. Therefore there will be no re-profiling necessary when changing to our inks.

Our ink can be mixed with the original inks without any problems and can be successively exchanged one by one.

There is no risk changing to our inks, we promise full compatibility."

It's true to say that some third party ink manufacturers have a different aim, maybe they claim "improved performance", perhaps they are attempting to achieve more gamut (colour range), perhaps or a better black, some third party ink makers do come up with such claims and in that case a new profile IS needed for each paper.

In this case it appears that easy inks have managed to attain a full match to Epson's original inks. They are making a promise.

However, if you install their inks and find that the media settings and profiles Epson have come up with for their own inks and papers are no longer working right then, for sure, it's time to get a profile made for your printer and paper with the full new inkset once all the inks have fully reached the heads - there is a lot of ink in the feed tubes etc.. How would you know? Good question, that's one of the risks of swopping inkset and likely another reason why easy inks have attempted an Ultrachrome match.

You may find other users discussing the inks on, say an Epson or Photographers forum. Maybe in German ';~}

if you feel you can trust the claims made by company then you should feel OK to move over. However, there needs to be a good reason for moving away from Epson's original inks, in my opinion. If there's a significant cost saving and that's your aim, then maybe it's time to try them.

Please report back as we'd love to know how you get along.

I hope this helps

if so, please do mark my reply as "helpful" and if you're OK now, as "correct answer" so others who have similar issues can see the solution

thanks

neil barstow, colourmanagement.net

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: No re-calibration of Epson printers using non-Epson-inks?
              G.Hoffmann Level 3

Neil,

thank you for your response. I'm a little late because of travelling.

In the assessment of the problem, we agree: After replacing an Epson cartridge by one of the mentioned

company, the tubes are still filled with Epson ink and the print will be correct.

After an unspecified time the print changes (but there may be several reasons). Immediate recalibration

is not recommended. Rather, one must wait until the tubes are filled completely by new ink.

It's my impression that the inks are not entirely compatible, but I cannot prove it.

That's why I am interested in the experiences of other users. The mentioned company doesn't provide

reports from independent laboratories or opinions of satisfied users as references.

Best regards --Gernot Hoffmann

Sorry, if I marked your answer as correct, then this would imply problem solved, which is not the case.