2 Replies Latest reply on May 18, 2016 6:38 AM by AnnieVE

Canon Pro 100 Printer - worth getting?

AnnieVE

Hi!  I have a chance to buy a Canon Pro 100 printer for good price but was wondering how good a printer it was.  Do folks have good success with the soft-proof-to-print quality?

Am I better off to just use a lab's icc profile for their printer/paper, and send it to them for printing?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Canon Pro 100 Printer - worth getting?
          JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I have had my Canon Pixma Pro-100 now for a couple of years. As far as print quality is concerned, I think it is excellent. Take note that it is a die-based Ink system. Some people warn that the prints will not last as long. Pigment-based systems reportedly produce longer-lasting prints. Personally, I'm not that concerned because I don't print that much. I have had prints displayed on my wall now for a couple of years, and have seen no discernible change in them.

The other concern is whether or not you think you are going to print your own in order to save money. A lot of people refill their cartridges which greatly reduces the cost of printing. I don't print enough to worry about ink expenses, so I have continued using OEM cartridges. It's really a lot less expensive to have your prints done by a reputable lab, even if you print a lot.

So it comes down to whether or not you really want to print and what you are wanting to accomplish. If you just want the experience of completing the process a home, then the Canon Pixma Pro-100 is a pretty good printer in my opinion. I have used a number of different papers from Red River. They provide profiles for all of their papers, and prints match very well. I have no issues with the printer.

• 2. Re: Canon Pro 100 Printer - worth getting?
            AnnieVE Level 1

Hi Jim,  this was very, very helpful.  Thank you!  

Anne