3 Replies Latest reply on May 20, 2016 5:27 AM by Steve Grisetti

How do I get rid of the black border around my videos?

Heather Milburn

Hello there! I have been trying to upload a video to Youtube but i need help- I have been a Youtuber for about 2 years now and love it of course. I recently just got this new editor (Adobe premiere elements 14) and I have been getting so stressed out because every time I go to upload a video to my computer (to then upload it to YouTube), i get this really annoying black border around my video. It cuts off abut 1/4 of my video. I've tried searching up so many detorials about this but none of them have worked. Please help me guys! It would mean a lot! Thanks!

Heather/ Musicpup613

Message was edited by: Heather Milburn

• 1. Re: How do I get rid of the black border around my videos?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

What model of camcorder are you shooting your video with and what format and resolution is your video?

What are your project settings (as listed under Project Settings, under the Edit menu)?

What Export & Share resolution and format are you exporting your finished movie as? When you watch this video on a good video player (like the excellent, free VLC Media Player) does it have a black frame around it?

These three factors are the main factors that affect how well your video fills the video frame.

• 2. Re: How do I get rid of the black border around my videos?
            Heather Milburn Level 1

I use a Canon Rebel t3i. I have tried exporting it with 720p and 1080p. Both seemed to not work. I just recently tried exporting a video again, and it seems to work. I did lots of different tests with different audio and videos just to experiment with the black border problem. Im starting to think that its the audio that's effecting it. It works perfectly fine with some audio, but then a few different audio files, it appears with the black border. I might be wrong but its just a thought haha. Any help is still appreciated though. What do you suggest the project setting and export and share format should be? Thanks!

• 3. Re: How do I get rid of the black border around my videos?
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I recommend you shoot in edit only in 1080p.

If you do you should NOT see a yellow-orange "render" line above the first clip on your timeline until you add effects or fades to it. Is that the case in your video? If so, you shouldn't have a black border problem.

RenderLine.jpg